The FA Cup 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It shouldn't be an issue (but is) dry January for a lot of people will dent their desire to go. Midweek Boro and a few beers with buddies is more appealing than Mid week Boro and no beers.

Completely agree.
The ticket price is one thing but the cost of actually going to the game is so much more.

I've spent a grand on my season ticket but every game is an additional £50-£70 in train fares, food, drink etc.

So when we get given an extra game that we have to play on a cold midweek in what is typically the hardest month of the year (financially), charging more than the original fixture cost is just downright wrong in my opinion.

Not that the club cares...we're all just numbers.

In October 2021 the new London ULEZ comes into force and my 2013 diesel won't be compliant so that's another £12.50 per game on top of £15 parking and fuel. So that's another £237.50 for 19 league matches alone. Yes I can afford it, but everyone has their limit and I'll be downgrading my gold ST to silver and skipping all early round domestic and European cup matches to make up for the extra cost. Until I replace my car anyway...

Can't fault that price for an FA Cup tie.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really think you CAN fault it.
On paper £20 for FA Cup football isn't that bad but it's the whole principle and the background behind the game.

The first game was £15 - that was at a lower league team who have considerably less income than we do.
There's no reason why the replay (which probably shouldn't even exist based on the current positions of the teams and also used to be INCLUDED with all season tickets (which were also cheaper)) should be priced at anything more. If anything, it should be less.

Levy is squeezing every penny out of a loyal support that he can.

Still...at least our money is being reinvested in strengthening the squad...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really think you CAN fault it.
On paper £20 for FA Cup football isn't that bad but it's the whole principle and the background behind the game.

The first game was £15 - that was at a lower league team who have considerably less income than we do.
There's no reason why the replay (which probably shouldn't even exist based on the current positions of the teams and also used to be INCLUDED with all season tickets (which were also cheaper)) should be priced at anything more. If anything, it should be less.

Levy is squeezing every penny out of a loyal support that he can.

Still...at least our money is being reinvested in strengthening the squad...

What a short sighted and weird way of looking at things.

We obviously have far better facilities and a much larger audience potential for the game. To say we should be pricing lower than a Championship club only makes sense in terms of 'we can afford to'.

Should we also employ the same number of stadium staff or less? Make sure our electricity consumption matches theirs? I'm not sure if money is given for policing? All the other general match day costs which will of course be higher than theirs would have been.
There's all kinds of things to be taken into account.

There's a good chance an extra 30 minutes and penalty shoot out could be played in the replay. Whatever happens the team progressing will be decided - which you haven't taken into account either.

Simply don't go is my advice to you. Don't buy or renew your season ticket. Attend fewer games, pay out less while inside the stadium, don't buy over priced match programs. All the while other Spurs fans do these things in large numbers, the whole supply and demand thing comes into play.

One thing I will agree with partially is Levy (or the club itself) attempt to generate as much income as they can from all sources, including the old fashioned match day income. Don't kid yourself into thinking this is targeting loyal supporters any more than tourist supporters. If I were running a football club, I too would be looking to maximise income without damaging attendance % of capacity.

Now the last point I would raise I'm not 100% sure on, but my understanding was that gate receipts are shared between both clubs in some way in the cup. Doesn't help Boro as much as a non league side for example, but I thought getting an away day at a big stadium was always a chairman and clubs dream. It's possible the away team would rather ticket prices were double the £20 being quoted if the overall income and their split was still higher - regardless of a lower attendance figure.

Whatever - Levy must be a cunt I suppose for charging £20 per ticket right?

Completely agree.
The ticket price is one thing but the cost of actually going to the game is so much more.

I've spent a grand on my season ticket but every game is an additional £50-£70 in train fares, food, drink etc.

So when we get given an extra game that we have to play on a cold midweek in what is typically the hardest month of the year (financially), charging more than the original fixture cost is just downright wrong in my opinion.

Not that the club cares...we're all just numbers.

No-one's forcing you to spend money on beer and food every time you go either... A game only lasts for 90mins FFS.

What a short sighted and weird way of looking at things.

We obviously have far better facilities and a much larger audience potential for the game. To say we should be pricing lower than a Championship club only makes sense in terms of 'we can afford to'.

Should we also employ the same number of stadium staff or less? Make sure our electricity consumption matches theirs? I'm not sure if money is given for policing? All the other general match day costs which will of course be higher than theirs would have been.
There's all kinds of things to be taken into account.

There's a good chance an extra 30 minutes and penalty shoot out could be played in the replay. Whatever happens the team progressing will be decided - which you haven't taken into account either.

Simply don't go is my advice to you. Don't buy or renew your season ticket. Attend fewer games, pay out less while inside the stadium, don't buy over priced match programs. All the while other Spurs fans do these things in large numbers, the whole supply and demand thing comes into play.

Cheaper to buy the family ticket for spurs on Tuesday than my local league 2 club.

Which is great for people who have never been to the ground now it has gone to general sale.

Reality is Permier League football is an expensive hobby these days. We have people flying into WHL from around the world whose bucket list includes watching Tottenham play - they will pay anything. Know a ST holder who lives in America and flies over for 4-6 games a year.

Hopefully we sell out Tuesday. I’m not going but mainly due to the fact I can’t leave work, get home and get the boys then get to the ground then justify the 1am return home on a school night.
Shame as £40 for 4 tickets is a great price.

EORgKVJWsAEWExn.png:large

//

Tomorrow: Man. United v Wolves

1. Manchester United
  2. Chelscum
  3. Southampton or Tottenham
  4. Sheffield Wednesday
  5. Bournemouth or The Scum
  6. Northampton or Derby
  7. Leicester City
  8. Sheffield United
  9. Reading or Cardiff City
  10. West Brom
  11. Norwich City
  12. Coventry City or Birmingham City
  13. Manchester City
  14. Newcastle or Oxford
  15. Portsmouth
  16. Liverpool (or shrewsbury)
The draw for the FA Cup fifth round will take place from 7.19pm on Monday, January 27, 2020.

It will be conducted by Teddy Sheringham and Glen Johnson, hosted by Mark Chapman and held at BBC's Broadcasting House.
The draw will be shown live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer as part of The One Show as well as across the Emirates FA Cup's Facebook, Twitter and Youtube accounts.

Every tie across the fifth round will be played in midweek, commencing from Monday, March 2, with games level at 90 minutes being decided on the night via extra time or, if needed, penalties.
Replays have been scrapped from the fifth round onwards to alleviate fixture congestion.

1. Manchester United
  2. Chelscum
  3. Southampton or Tottenham
  4. Sheffield Wednesday
  5. Bournemouth or The Scum
  6. Northampton or Derby
  7. Leicester City
  8. Sheffield United
  9. Reading or Cardiff City
  10. West Brom
  11. Norwich City
  12. Coventry City or Birmingham City
  13. Manchester City
  14. Newcastle or Oxford
  15. Portsmouth
  16. Liverpool (or shrewsbury)
The draw for the FA Cup fifth round will take place from 7.19pm on Monday, January 27, 2020.

It will be conducted by Teddy Sheringham and Glen Johnson, hosted by Mark Chapman and held at BBC's Broadcasting House.
The draw will be shown live on BBC One and BBC iPlayer as part of The One Show as well as across the Emirates FA Cup's Facebook, Twitter and Youtube accounts.

Every tie across the fifth round will be played in midweek, commencing from Monday, March 2, with games level at 90 minutes being decided on the night via extra time or, if needed, penalties.
Replays have been scrapped from the fifth round onwards to alleviate fixture congestion.

Yeah replays scrapped 5th rnd as most if not all the lower league sides would be out by then. Seems to me replays before then are to ensure the big clubs get a second chance. ET/Pens in early rnds could effectively knock them ('big teams') out ! That would never do, would it?!!!!

Back
Top Bottom