The calm after the storm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm sickened by the result, probably more than last week. Once again I'm the lone Spur in a pub surrounded by United fans who don't know just how good they've got it. This was a decent performance (we're ahead on all the stats apart from goals scored - and yes, I do know that's what counts), but I've seen it before. When we're good, we lose, when we're bad, we lose. Each game against them I put on a pessimistic front but inside I'm far more hopeful, I get believing that this could be the one... It pains me that we won't get another chance to stop the rot in at least six months. No victory would give me greater pleasure.

Anyway, I'm steadily recovering, and here are a few optimistic points about our current lead over 4th.

1. Everyone was saying this hard run of games, which is nearly over, would test us. Some even said that if we came out of the spell 4 or 5 points behind 4th place, we would be in good shape. This is the advantage of building up a hefty lead - you can fuck up a bit and still be ahead.

2. The 'momentum' may be with Woolwich and not with Spurs now, but I'd rather be in our position. I watch a lot of 5 set tennis, and as I rule I tend to think there are at least 2 changes of momentum in a match. I.e. it's better to go up a set or two (or 10 or 12 points) and lose a bit of your advantage than the other way round, because the match (or season) is so long that there will probably be another swing your way before too long - players and teams rarely sustain good or bad form for the whole stretch, not matter how bleak things may seem from watching the last game.

3. A bit like point one, it's only because we've lost a more commanding lead that our plight looks concerning. To be level, or even a few points outside the top 4, would have been a good position for Spurs at this stage of the season. If we'd been behind all season and snuck to within a point of 3rd or 4th we'd probably be licking our lips. As it is, we have it far better, but are more worried. That's just the way it goes.

So nothing revolutionary, but it might help those on the road to recovery after this dodgy week.

Today's game is why I give it a miss,
Happens every fucking season without fail, don't get me wrong, I don't watch Spurs just to see us win but the manner in which we lose year on year is fucking hard to take. Gutted as fuck.

@8colespurs8 said:
boxbat said:
Once again I'm the lone Spur in a pub surrounded by United fans who don't know just how good they've got it.

What pub in Tottenham were United fans in?!?!

This was a pub in Macclesfield, prime United territory (well everywhere's prime United territory these days, it seems). I'm Spurs because of family, which means I've had to put up with days like this in the company of mocking glory hunters all my football supporting life. :defoe:

I said in the match thread I'm getting annoyed with the way we play utd, we have go and as a consequence are always open playing into their hands. I'd rather we soaked them up and hit them on the brake, just once.

Also as good as Kyle is, he's been at fault for a lot of goals this season. What a player he will be when he can cut out the mistakes though

boxbat said:
@8colespurs8 said:
boxbat said:
Once again I'm the lone Spur in a pub surrounded by United fans who don't know just how good they've got it.

What pub in Tottenham were United fans in?!?!

This was a pub in Macclesfield, prime United territory (well everywhere's prime United territory these days, it seems). I'm Spurs because of family, which means I've had to put up with days like this in the company of mocking glory hunters all my football supporting life. :defoe:

I feel for you. I've lived in non-spurs places my whole life too - although ususally with a mixed crowd - I can't imagine what it would be like if everyone supported the team we lose every single time (even when we draw if you know what I mean). Horrible.

I found a spurs pub recenlty - they have a happy hour while spurs are winning and drawing - it's heaven.

I must make a pilgrimage to said pub! Where is it?

And I do know what you mean. I remember going into school after Pedro Mendes-gate and I still got mocked then, after a 0-0.
It's horrible listening to the roar whenever a United goal goes in or their complaints after we get a (perfectly legitimate) free kick, and I can never really say much back because a) there's only one of me, to about 30 of them, most of whom I don't know, and b) because, well, Spurs never really give us a lot of ammo in those games.

For the City game (away) at least I had a few others on my side, for 90 minutes. No City fans showed up today though, so just me again.

i know the feeling...
we are being battered by a mild cyclone in south Africa at the moment,
i make the mission to my locale only to discover im the lone spurs supporter
surrounded by manc scum. you know those kind of supporters who wear a jacket
over their team jersey till they winning. fucking glory cunts...

Back
Top Bottom