The Big Match

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bazali

🇺🇦 🇺🇦 🇺🇦 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraini
It’s on BT Sports showing classic games of the 70s and 80s with Brian Moore

Just watched Spurs v Liverpool in 1983

2-0 Spurs with a Steve Archibald brace (that’s 2 bus-conductor)
Only kidding!!

Great seeing some of our legends
Hodd
Archie
Mabbs
Chrissy Hughton
Galvin
And Steve Perryman who was outstanding

Burkenshaw manager

I loved that side!

The Dippers won the title that year and had a strong team out
Hansen
Dalglish
Souness
Rush
Etc

So a really good win which has cheered me up no end!!

It’s on BT Sports showing classic games of the 70s and 80s with Brian Moore

Just watched Spurs v Liverpool in 1983

2-0 Spurs with a Steve Archibald brace (that’s 2 bus-conductor)
Only kidding!!

Great seeing some of our legends
Hodd
Archie
Mabbs
Chrissy Hughton
Galvin
And Steve Perryman who was outstanding

Burkenshaw manager

I loved that side!

The Dippers won the title that year and had a strong team out
Hansen
Dalglish
Souness
Rush
Etc

So a really good win which has cheered me up no end!!
One of my first Tottenham Christmas presents was Greavsie’s “6 Of The Best” videos from the 1980s. It had that match, Watford away with the Hoddle chip and a few other decent ones. They’re almost like Bible stories to me. Forever locked in my mind as part of our culture and history. Love it.

One of my first Tottenham Christmas presents was Greavsie’s “6 Of The Best” videos from the 1980s. It had that match, Watford away with the Hoddle chip and a few other decent ones. They’re almost like Bible stories to me. Forever locked in my mind as part of our culture and history. Love it.

It’s what makes you Spurs

Class is forever

Got that too... it's the only reason I STILL have a VHS Player!!

I'm recording them all Baz. BT have been showing the Big Match Revisited on and off for a while now. Great viewing but some of the pitches. :avbshock:

Yes even in Spring

That one I’ve just seen was in late April
Hard as a rock, bobbley but Hodd was stroking the ball around as though it was a bowling green

Roberts put a few challenges in!!

First time I saw the Big Match, must have been black and white (officially, but everything just looked various shades of grey of course) in about 69-70 season.

The original music, da da, da da, boom-boom-boom waiting to see which games were on, praying for rain so no grief about “fresh air”

Then setting up the goal mouth action during the slomo replays with the ubiquitous Subbuteo.

Somewhere in the loft I think I still have a VHS of us winning at Liverpool in the 80s on the Big Match.
First time in decades.

I don’t actually have a video player anymore though.

First time I saw the Big Match, must have been black and white (officially, but everything just looked various shades of grey of course) in about 69-70 season.

The original music, da da, da da, boom-boom-boom waiting to see which games were on, praying for rain so no grief about “fresh air”

Then setting up the goal mouth action during the slomo replays with the ubiquitous Subbuteo.

Didn’t Motty come up with the immortal comment
“For those of you still watching in black and white Spurs are the team in the yellow shirts”
The commentary team were pissing themselves and he then said
“Oh you know what I mean “

Somewhere in the loft I think I still have a VHS of us winning at Liverpool in the 80s on the Big Match.
First time in decades.

I don’t actually have a video player anymore though.
Get round to 1882s house for a night in with a couple of cans.

But be ready for some donkey and farmers daughter action from the 1980s.

Back to the days of short shorts, Cyril, Chopper, Bite yer legs, sandy frozen bogs, 'meat' pies and Bovril.

It defined Sunday afternoons.

It actually happened kids.

Last edited:
I have over 40 VHS Spurs tapes if anyones interested. I even have 'the match' which was a Tottenham official recording of the game. I have Southampton and United at home at the end of the 89/90 season. Most are 1980's and some 1990's. I will dig them out later and list them on here so if anyone wants them let's say a fiver each which i will give to Graham Roberts' charity.

Back
Top Bottom