Thank you and goodbye White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can see that, I went a lot in the 80s, far less so since then as I live abroad. What really gives me gooseflesh is seeing the beautiful old Archibald Leitch ground in videos and photos, the Shelf heaving, the painted woodwork and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current ground too, but theres a certain amount of Trigger's Broom about it.

My big hope is that there is mass resistance to us referring to it as "the Nike" or the Byrite Bowl or whatever it becomes, that the new ground is only ever seen as the latest manifestation of WHL.

Perhaps one of those clever algorithm thingies that changes Arse**l to Woolwich whenever anyone uses the corporate name

I see where the OP is coming from.
Not sure i would though if the new build was 3 miles away, as opposed to being (pretty much) on the same site.
I said elsewhere ,after attending the ladies V West Ham game,i realised the stadium i had most fondness for had pretty much gone.
I will still probably blub on Sunday though.

Last edited:
I can see that, I went a lot in the 80s, far less so since then as I live abroad. What really gives me gooseflesh is seeing the beautiful old Archibald Leitch ground in videos and photos, the Shelf heaving, the painted woodwork and stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current ground too, but theres a certain amount of Trigger's Broom about it.

My big hope is that there is mass resistance to us referring to it as "the Nike" or the Byrite Bowl or whatever it becomes, that the new ground is only ever seen as the latest manifestation of WHL.

Perhaps one of those clever algorithm thingies that changes Arse**l to Woolwich whenever anyone uses the corporate name
This.

Whilst The Lane is my Church and I love the place, I have zero romantic ties to it. All of my nostalgia and romance I associate with it pre-dates the The Shelf being ripped out. I am acutely aware however that those of you who started to go to The Lane after the shelf was destroyed then no doubt you hold that romance to this version, as I did to my era and the version I grew up with.

I can't wait for us to rock up into the new stadium. It gives us a real chance to re-organise where we sit, so those who sing in the Park Lane, East Upper, West Stands can all migrate to one collective area in our new single tier stand (would love this to be called The Shelf, but it's going to have to be loud to be given that honour). For some it will be a big move, mainly those who watch from the shelf side now. Those that have grown up watching their football being played from the side of the pitch to have to adjust to watching from behind the goal. This might sound trivial but trust me (as a shelfsider most of my life) it's the one compromise that I find the hardest to get over. But in the interest of a wall of sound I can't sprint fast enough to the South Stand. Motivated also by the prospect of remaining in the East Stand with the corp mob, nah thanks.

The soul and spirit of Tottenham is intact, this is the most important thing. Our match day rituals, the cafes, bars, pubs that we have been going to for years all remain. The walk to the stadium, a path well trodden for nearly 120 years of our ancestors is what links and bonds you. If anything The Lane is going to revive it's self as over 61k will walk the streets just as they did before all seater stadiums were introduced.

Last edited:
I think the article is spot, it is a time for celebration and excitement. My last visit was for the Bournemouth game and I had a fair few "moments" visualising certain spots that will disappear - my first visit stood on the Paxton road terrace to the left of the goal, standing on the shelf and losing a shoe during the bundle/surge of us scoring thinking id have to walk home bare footed but finding my mangled shoe at the final whistle ( it never happened again because I wore doc marten boots to every game for the next 5 years) . The one and only time I actually went to the lane with my spurs mad dad for the Uefa cup final sat in the west stand. my sons face on his first visit and seat in the Park lane block 33 ( Ah dad you said we could go in the park lane why are we going in the south stand? Trust me son its the Park Lane!!) And sitting in Block 14 of the West stand for my last visit to the old place. Magic memories and when I hopefully return in 15 months or so the stadium may have moved North a 100 yards or so and I will not be able to visualise any of the above memories or stands but by sitting in new South Stand I will be sitting on the very spot were games were played, I will not see them but I will feel them under me and for that very reason whatever naming rights, sponsorship deals or station rebranding occurs to me the new South stand will always be the Park Lane and the stadium will always be WHITE HART LANE COYS

Reading between the lines, this almost sounds like a thumbs up for the new ground. We can all now see it taking shape, and whilst there may be some who fear less atmosphere as is often the case with newer bigger grounds, then it's up to us the supporters to not let that be the case.

From my own perspective, my ancestral roots are in Tottenham. My father was born in Hampden Road, just a few yards from the ground and lived there throughout The Blitz. His school was the one in Park Lane that is now a church, and after school they played football in the street using the gates of The Lane as the goal. He has stories of sneaking in under the turnstiles, being there for a game when fog descended so bad that the referee had to gather the players in the centre circle to count them and found the opponents had sneaked on an extra player. Even my mum has stories of going with him to see matches standing with a newspaper over her head to shield her from the torrential rain, and when her ribs got badly bruised during a crush getting into the ground.

The White Hart Lane I first went to which had four separate stands, floodlight stanchions in each corner , terraces and wooden seats has been gone for years. I look forward to the new ground because as a non season ticket holder may actually get the chance to go to more games! It's taken some time, but I think Mr Levy should be congratulated for achieving what should be one of the best grounds in the world.

If we'd had been leaving on Sunday and heading to the former Olympic Stadium I wonder whether Bardi would have been so nonplussed?

This.

Whilst The Lane is my Church and I love the place, I have zero romantic ties to it. All of my nostalgia and romance I associate with it pre-dates the The Shelf being ripped out. I am acutely aware however that those of you who started to go to The Lane after the self was destroyed then no doubt you hold that romance to this version, as I did to my era and the version I grew up with.

I can't wait for us to rock up into the new stadium. It gives us a real chance to re-organise where we sit, so those who sing in the Park Lane, East Upper, West Stands can all migrate to one collective area in our new single tier stand (would love this to be called The Shelf, but it's going to have to be loud to be given that honour). For some it will be a big move, mainly those who watch from the shelf side now. Those that have grown up watching their football being played from the side of the pitch to have to adjust to watching from behind the goal. This might sound trivial but trust me (as a shelfsider most of my life) it's the one compromise that I find the hardest to get over. But in the interest of a wall of sound I can't sprint fast enough to the South Stand. Motivated also by the prospect of remaining in the East Stand with the corp mob, nah thanks.

The soul and spirit of Tottenham is intact, this is the most important thing. Our match day rituals, the cafes, bars, pubs that we have been going to for years all remain. The walk to the stadium, a path well trodden for nearly 120 years of our ancestors is what links and bonds you. If anything The Lane is going to revive it's self as over 61k will walk the streets just as they did before all seater stadiums were introduced.

You and Bill Madrid have articulated exactly how I feel.

I'm fond of the current WHL, but that doesnt compare to how I felt to the terraced version, Shelf and all.

The photos looking up at the Old East Stand from pitch level I think are awesome.

old photos of the shelf at WHL - Google Search

for instance, check out the photo of Alfie Conn v Wolves March '75.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines, this almost sounds like a thumbs up for the new ground. We can all now see it taking shape, and whilst there may be some who fear less atmosphere as is often the case with newer bigger grounds, then it's up to us the supporters to not let that be the case.

From my own perspective, my ancestral roots are in Tottenham. My father was born in Hampden Road, just a few yards from the ground and lived there throughout The Blitz. His school was the one in Park Lane that is now a church, and after school they played football in the street using the gates of The Lane as the goal. He has stories of sneaking in under the turnstiles, being there for a game when fog descended so bad that the referee had to gather the players in the centre circle to count them and found the opponents had sneaked on an extra player. Even my mum has stories of going with him to see matches standing with a newspaper over her head to shield her from the torrential rain, and when her ribs got badly bruised during a crush getting into the ground.

The White Hart Lane I first went to which had four separate stands, floodlight stanchions in each corner , terraces and wooden seats has been gone for years. I look forward to the new ground because as a non season ticket holder may actually get the chance to go to more games! It's taken some time, but I think Mr Levy should be congratulated for achieving what should be one of the best grounds in the world.

If we'd had been leaving on Sunday and heading to the former Olympic Stadium I wonder whether Bardi would have been so nonplussed?
if we had been leaving for stratford the tone would have 100% different.

Just every where i looked this week i saw people getting emotional, saying how hard it will be, and i felt guilty that it isnt for me. Almost like I should be sad but I'm not. For me we're not leaving, we're just renovating. Nothing will change.

Loads of stadiums have been changed etc and the atmosphere has possibly got better. If the club get the seating and the pricing right, the new one can be better than the old

Just every where i looked this week i saw people getting emotional, saying how hard it will be, and i felt guilty that it isnt for me. Almost like I should be sad but I'm not. For me we're not leaving, we're just renovating. Nothing will change.

Loads of stadiums have been changed etc and the atmosphere has possibly got better. If the club get the seating and the pricing right, the new one can be better than the old
Every redevelopment over the years has taken a little piece of the old ground away with it.

I prefer to see it as just another (very big) redevelopment of the ground.

It's emotional to the extent that local businesses are likely to suffer on matchdays, while we are in our temporary home & people's match day routines will be different. But the current redevelopment is absolutely necessary, particularly since we seem to be growing immeasurably as a club on the pitch. We will be squeezing another 26,000 fans into the new incarnation of WHL & that should guarantee that we can at least level the playing field with some of the more "well off" clubs.

Going to Stratford was the true dodged bullet. Whatever the club had done to the bowl.

Three things will determine we keep the same atmosphere and feeling of home.

1 stadium design, thankfully the interior looks the same as the old WHL apart from the single tier kop style stand which looks to be an improvement. Main thing was close to the pitch, 4 stands, no round bowl and we got that. - good

2 remain in Tottenham, keeps alive our heritage - good

3 keep the supporters in the right areas, West Ham and Woolwich threw their hardcore fans all over the shop, we need to avoid this - TBC

2 out of 3 look to be definatley achieved, the third aspect hopefully we will deal with.

Three things will determine we keep the same atmosphere and feeling of home.

1 stadium design, thankfully the interior looks the same as the old WHL apart from the single tier kop style stand which looks to be an improvement. Main thing was close to the pitch, 4 stands, no round bowl and we got that. - good

2 remain in Tottenham, keeps alive our heritage - good

3 keep the supporters in the right areas, West Ham and Woolwich threw their hardcore fans all over the shop, we need to avoid this - TBC

2 out of 3 look to be definatley achieved, the third aspect hopefully we will deal with.
The issue with #3 is that I would imagine lots of people will want seats in the single tier stand & prices will reflect that demand. People will want to be part of a wall of noise, but won't necessarily be noisy fans. The novelty is being in the wall, not necessarily contributing to it's venom. Getting the most vocal people all in one area or areas of a 61000 seater stadium is a huge ask.

You and Bill Madrid have articulated exactly how I feel.

I'm fond of the current WHL, but that doesnt compare to how I felt to the terraced version, Shelf and all.

The photos looking up at the Old East Stand from pitch level I think are awesome.

old photos of the shelf at WHL - Google Search

for instance, check out the photo of Alfie Conn v Wolves March '75.
I bet the view in some of those ariel shots (Jimmy Greaves V Man Utd) are still better than what your average hammer gets at their place.

Maybe Dortmund etc, but I can't think of one English club (or Welsh, see Cardiff and Swansea) who have upgraded to a stadium with better atmosphere. I also can't think of a modern stadium in England that compares to WHL, Goodison, Upton Park etc.

The issue with #3 is that I would imagine lots of people will want seats in the single tier stand & prices will reflect that demand. People will want to be part of a wall of noise, but won't necessarily be noisy fans. The novelty is being in the wall, not necessarily contributing to it's venom. Getting the most vocal people all in one area or areas of a 61000 seater stadium is a huge ask.
True. But also true now of Park Lane, the Kop, Stretford End etc. People want to sit in the iconic stands and the stands with atmosphere. Not much you can do about it. At least you will put off families, people who want to sit down etc.

They should do a half way season amnesty. For example if you sat in the Wall for the atmosphere but realise it isn't for you, hopefully they will offer you the chance to switch?

That or give people cattle prods to poke people who arent singing

Back
Top Bottom