Terry Venables

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At a time when he should have put the clubs best interests above his own self interest. He put his self interests firmly ahead.

the absolute worst thing his antics caused was the club being shackled with Alan Sugar for a decade. A man who made a good celebrity fan and a god awful chairman.

this pair cost Tottenham the best part of a decade of being competitive and managed to cause the ripple effect we have to this day.

El Tel when he was just the manager did not do badly, but the 91-93 period was woeful and distracts the on field success between late 87 and 91. That’s my view.

Bags of charisma, decent coach better man motivator(a lot like Poch actually). But....he is a complete tool who is on the list with Sugar and Scholar as why we went from big six to near oblivion. A chisling money mad crook. Some of the things that preoccupied Levy (stability and sustainability over all else) come from his seeing how close we came to exctiction under former owners. So we are still feeling his legacy.

I wonder to this day how it would have panned out if Philip Green had got the deal with Scholar rather than Sugar, Maybe Venables would have not taken the liberties he subsequently did. Maybe history would then give him the credit he sought by being a saviour.

What if Robert Maxwell had got the deal...... fuuuuuuurrrrk!
I don’t know much (anything) in depth about the truth of that Maxwell stuff, remember the papers running it as a story but never knew how true it was with the Mirror saying the Mirror’s owner was billy big bollocks.....whereas the Philip Green stuff is a bit more known and closer to being a deal, although back then he was not Sir Philip ( nor shifty )

I don’t know much (anything) in depth about the truth of that Maxwell stuff, remember the papers running it as a story but never knew how true it was with the Mirror saying the Mirror’s owner was billy big bollocks.....whereas the Philip Green stuff is a bit more known and closer to being a deal, although back then he was not Sir Philip ( nor shifty )

Looks like he pondered taking over, then perhaps went to see a fortune teller and they told him how shit we would be for the next 15 years so he pulled out.

Not long before he topped himself in the big blue also, still a lucky escape.

Tycoon pondered takeover of Spurs

Just a shame we couldn't win it for him on the night....
Yup. Though I think the emotion often affects the players negatively. I have no stats to back it up but it feels like we’re often on the losing side when the game starts with sorrow - after the Last Post for example. It can feel quite overwhelming.

Yup. Though I think the emotion often affects the players negatively. I have no stats to back it up but it feels like we’re often on the losing side when the game starts with sorrow - after the Last Post for example. It can feel quite overwhelming.
It's a weird one, because the cynic in me says most of the players weren't even born when Venables was in charge... they never met the man, or were coached by him... if anything, it affects the fans way more... the emotion is from our memories of being there at the time...

all the players have to do is harness that emotion and win it for the fans... which is why nights like that always feel even more disappointing when we lose...

Most of the players would've probably had to Google Terry Venables, or have it explained to them by a senior member at the club... so I'm not expecting them to put on a show for him, that's up to us, by observing the minutes' silence/applause immaculately, and singing the songs that remember him with added gusto...
we most definitely did our bit....

I remember when Matthew Harding died, and we played Chelsea in the next game, and they beat us... but that was probably 'cos he was their Chairman/Owner at the time, and they all did it for him...

I wonder what the result will be the game after Joe Lewis eventually dies... doesn't bear thinking about!!

Back
Top Bottom