Terry Venables

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's Terry Venables birthday today, the man who was in charge when I started suppporting the club. What I'd like to know is why he went from being our manager to being Chief Executive and putting Doug Livermore in charge? Was it just to get involved in some dodgy business dealings?!

I liked the football we played when he was our manager and he perked up the atmosphere at the Lane when he took over,definite feel good factor,buying players like Gazza. Liked him as England boss as well.
But he was also a crook who could have done us untold damage,and very nearly did.

I liked the football we played when he was our manager and he perked up the atmosphere at the Lane when he took over,definite feel good factor,buying players like Gazza. Liked him as England boss as well.
But he was also a crook who could have done us untold damage,and very nearly did.
This!

From loving the man for his connections with our club as a player, for his ability as a Manager, for his charisma within the game. He has my support in the whole battle with Sugar, then received the biggest kick in the bollocks when discovered he was nicking off the club.

When you get behind someone give them your support it fucking hurts more when he lets you down. Hard not to take it personally too. But I was a young naive lad back then, part of my own education in looking at things with objectivity.

This!

From loving the man for his connections with our club as a player, for his ability as a Manager, for his charisma within the game. He has my support in the whole battle with Sugar, then received the biggest kick in the bollocks when discovered he was nicking off the club.

When you get behind someone give them your support it fucking hurts more when he lets you down. Hard not to take it personally too. But I was a young naive lad back then, part of my own education in looking at things with objectivity.

Didn't he also buy 51% of Portsmouth for £1, quit and walk away with 500k of their money?

I was a kid when it all kicked off and he left us, and 15 during Euro 96, so a lot of what he supposedly did wrong passed me by.

Can anyone properly summarise it, rather than just "he was a crook" and passing comments about him stealing money from us? How was he doing this? Was he definitely doing this, or was this just Sugar talking out of his arse (out of character, I know...)?

If I remember rightly, there were reports that he was selling assets belonging to the club and pocketing the cash but I can't remember what those assets were.

The Serious Fraud Office is considering a criminal investigation into the business affairs of Terry Venables, the England football coach.

Papers relating to Mr Venables' controversial business dealings have been passed to the SFO following four separate inquiries by inspectors from the Department of Trade and Industry. As well as possible criminal proceedings, Mr Venables could face disqualification as a company director and questions over his position at the top of English national football.

The latest development comes as Mr Venables is braced for an investigation by the BBC's Panorama on Monday, which will make further allegations.

It is understood no decision has been made by the SFO on whether to launch a formal inquiry - it was given the latest evidence in the past few weeks - but it confirmed last night that officials are studying a thick dossier on the activities of Mr Venables' collapsed company Edennote, which was the vehicle for his involvement in the 1991 takeover of Tottenham Hotspur.

The SFO said yesterday: 'The DTI has referred its papers to the SFO in connection with Edennote and the matter is being considered.'

The possible fraud inquiry will be a further blow to Mr Venables who has been dogged by allegations about his business dealings since an extensive investigation by Panorama last year.

Last night, colleagues said Mr Venables was refusing to discuss the possible SFO inquiry. However, in a statement about the Panorama programme, he said: 'I find it astounding that a second programme has been authorised when the first one was so partisan and inaccurate.' He has always denied the claims made against him, to the extent of offering to give pounds 250,000 to charity if anyone proves them.

His business colleague, Eddie Ashby, who was also interviewed during an earlier official inquiry into the Tottenham deal, said: 'We were assured by the SFO three to four months ago that we were not being investigated and had been questioned only as witnesses. This is just part of an enormous tidal wave of allegation and innuendo caused because Terry had the courage to stand up to Alan Sugar.'

Mr Venables was appointed England coach in January after he had assured the Football Association that all his business dealings were above board. He satisfied the FA and was later told that a Metropolitan and City company fraud office investigation into allegations that he paid a pounds 50,000 'bung' to fellow manager Brian Clough to facilitate a transfer had been dropped.

The DTI's findings centre on Edennote. It was through the company that Mr Venables raised the pounds 3m he needed to buy a stake in Tottenham Hotspur as his part of the takeover bid with Alan Sugar, the Amstrad chairman. The two men subsequently fell out and Mr Venables was dismissed as Tottenham Hotspur's chief executive in May 1993. He then launched a legal action for unfair dismissal, which he called off a few months later.

(from 1994).

Will love him 4eva for Euro96 if nothing else, what a time to be alive!

I think Euro 96 is viewed with rose tinted glasses.
Yes, the atmosphere in the country was great but England didn't play as well as people say.

We were bad against Switzerland, bad for the majority of the Scotland game, excellent against Holland, bad and very lucky against Spain...

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to reach the Final in playing Germany without Klinsmann at Wembley but we lost.

I think Euro 96 is viewed with rose tinted glasses.
Yes, the atmosphere in the country was great but England didn't play as well as people say.

We were bad against Switzerland, bad for the majority of the Scotland game, excellent against Holland, bad and very lucky against Spain...

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to reach the Final in playing Germany without Klinsmann at Wembley but we lost.

We also would have been out to Spain had VAR done it's job that day but like all great stories it had it's ups and downs and was one hell of a ride.

Back
Top Bottom