Terry "Meathook" "Nutter" Naylor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guido 🇺🇦

"Legacy Fan"
Good listen

Terry-Naylor-Hand-Signed-Tottenham-Hotspur-12x8-Photo.jpg

He captained one of the teams of fans some years ago at WHL. It was the 'firm' from the 70's on one side so lots of large bald blokes trying to run around. Proper Spurs is Terry, love the bloke.

Old skool guys like TN are light years away from the players who represent us now. We talk of us (the supporters) being as one with team and the players understanding what it means to pull on the Tottenham jersey, but back in the day, with TN and his cohorts, those guys REALLY understood and felt the way we did. Some of them had even stood on the terraces alongside us, or at other stadiums. Or had a proper job before becoming a footballer. It's wonderful to hear the reminisces of them on The Spurs Show specials and have a good chuckle at the talk of old times.

Old skool guys like TN are light years away from the players who represent us now. We talk of us (the supporters) being as one with team and the players understanding what it means to pull on the Tottenham jersey, but back in the day, with TN and his cohorts, those guys REALLY understood and felt the way we did. Some of them had even stood on the terraces alongside us, or at other stadiums. Or had a proper job before becoming a footballer. It's wonderful to hear the reminisces of them on The Spurs Show specials and have a good chuckle at the talk of old times.
You are right, i may have mentioned this before (it's an age thing) but TN was interviewed in a football magazine and when he was asked what his best moment in football was he replied 'when we ran out at Highbury and our fans had taken the North Bank again'.

The thing is TN isn't really on the THFC hospitality gravy train so can be a bit more candid with his stories.

Loved the one about him digging out Chivers who was being too Billy big bollocks to give a fan an autograph until TN read him the riot act.

I know there were occasions where we would be giving the Gooner filth grief on the north bank and TN would be on the pitch giving us encouragement.

I also like it when he defended the fans to Billy Nick at the infamous 1974 Feyenoord game telling him they were defending themselves as they were being battered by the Dutch old bill.

The thing is TN isn't really on the THFC hospitality gravy train so can be a bit more candid with his stories.

Loved the one about him digging out Chivers who was being too Billy big bollocks to give a fan an autograph until TN read him the riot act.

I know there were occasions where we would be giving the Gooner filth grief on the north bank and TN would be on the pitch giving us encouragement.

I also like it when he defended the fans to Billy Nick at the infamous 1974 Feyenoord game telling him they were defending themselves as they were being battered by the Dutch old bill.
When I posted my comment on the TN interview I still had 5 minutes remaining of the podcast. Listened to it later and loved to hear how Terry had to knock Big Chiv into line and teach him to appreciate the fans who paid their wages. "Fuckin' sign it!" indeed!!

You can imagine ol' Tel having to really stop himself from clambering over the perimeter wall and wading in himself!

What a fantastic listen. Just before my time but great to hear a player speaking so openly and candidly about his time at the club. The Alfie Conn story when playing at Leeds and the impressions had me laughing!

Good listen

Terry-Naylor-Hand-Signed-Tottenham-Hotspur-12x8-Photo.jpg

Is it me, or does he sound uncannily like Danny Baker??
Proper old school (you could almost say cliched) Cockerney accent... with the same slightly higher pitch.
Half expected him to start talking about when he used to hang out with Mark Bolan, and his time working at the NME!

Wonderful listen, really enjoyed it. His accent was common place growing up, sadly mostly gone now.
A lad I knew growing up was TN cousin, so we kind of thought of him as one of our own. He was wirey and tough as old boots, back then players of his ilk didn't shirk a tackle and the fans loved players of his commitment.
I'd love to have a pint or two with him! I was a member of a golf club in bexleyheath 20 years ago and a fellow member was an ex Charlton goal keeper. He told me how some centre forwards had bad reps for leaving their studs on a keeper early doors. They would make sure they left something on them too.
I asked him did Spurs players have a bad reputation, bearing in mind he played against the great double team. He said they were gentlemen apart from Bobby Smith who he also said was as hard as nails
Different times indeed, thanks for posting the recording.

Great memories, I remember that goal he scored in the League Cup semi at Chavski. Black and White telly on the midweek late night sports programme. How we lost that game like he said.

Watching from the Shelf in the Div 2 year hearing the fans chant Terry Naylor Terry Naylor

Voice sounds a bit like Peter Shreeves.

Back
Top Bottom