Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the missing list 1st half, bit better 2nd half. Early days.
That was the champions we were playing.
TBH I was expecting a bit more because supposedly it was his display v City last season that earned him his transfer.

I know stats mean nothing but he had the most completed dribbles and tackles of any player on the pitch tonight.

I agree he looked a bit lost at times off the ball, but everyone looked lost today.

He is a class act and I honestly believe he will grow to be the best midfielder in this league over the next few seasons.

He’s totally different to anything we have had before and he is just what we need.

Every time he gets on the ball looks confident, clearly needs to work on his fitness. Doesn't have the energy to constantly show for the ball which left our centre backs passing between themselves a lot of the time. Also was a bit sloppy off the ball letting runners go but he will get used to it and once he does oh my word what a player he will be because on the ball he is fantastic.

Think it works out well for him that with the exception of Woolwich we don't play another top six side until the end of October. Hopefully will have improved that side of his game a bit since then.

He has a languid style that is never going to change, he is not the type to run back quickly or buzz around trying to win the ball back. He doesnt have DM qualities like Dembele had

On the ball he is exceptional

We still need a Dembele replacement :dembelewtf: or a better and fitter Wanyama :wanyama:

Terrible in the first half. Not enough movement off the ball and wasn't able to get involved. Much better in the second half, made a couple of excellent tackles.

I'm not fat. I have an underactive thyroid.

giphy.gif

You have no idea how hard this made me laugh

Off the ball, he's been bang average in both games. Hopefully it's just him, a new team, a new league and a new system.

However, on the ball, he's exceptional.

I just mentioned him in the game thread, but the problem as you state was him off the ball. He didn't want the ball at all. He more or less was running away from the space that he should have been entering to receive the ball. Was real poor in helping us build up from the back. All we needed was an outlet and once Winks was off, we had none.

Watching city was pretty fun. They have such a weapon in Ederson, who can just by pass the first line of pressing with his passing. Something we lack, which makes a CM duo of Winks and Ndombele all the more important. Again, I mentioned this in the game thread, but Winks was the wrong person to come off for Moura. He was our only semblance of confidence on the whole pitch.

I don't think we watched the same game. He was average like most of our players in 1st half, but in 2nd he was probably our best player. He's not DM, but he denied a lot of City's attacks.
On the ball, special player, finds room everywhere.

If be interested in watching him live to see his movement. He didn't stand out at all yesterday so those stats are interesting.

His clearly a very good player but like in the lich thread I'm interested in seeing how Poch sees him going forward.

I like the idea of a midfield three with him winks and lo celso with Alli being seen more as one of the forwards to hopefully bring back his goalscoring touch.

Tackled Mahrez (big money star and a guy who has terrorised us for years) who was brought on to increase goal threat like 3 times. Told him to fuck off with his shot feint. By the 4th time Mahrez was so scared he passed it straight to 1 of our players.

Fav player already

His passing is so good. Weights them well, can chip it or curl it, and has that defence splitting low hard reverse ball in his locker.

Watching his highlights video vs City it's clear what a great player we have on our hands.

His passing is so progressive and he's so calm on the ball that the team are starting to rely on him and use him as a focal point and this will only increase over time.

I think an issue at the moment is that the attackers need to get on his wavelength and start reacting quicker as there were two noticeable occasions where he played it quickly forward to Lamela and went to join the attack but the ball was lost twice. We haven't had a passer like that from deep for a while so the attackers need to recognise that the ball will be coming into them quicker and they need to react accordingly and maintain possession.

Once everyone is up to speed and we integrate Lo Celso I sense that we'll see some of the best football we've seen at Spurs for a good few years.

Defensively I think he is good at one on one duels (as he showed against one of the league's trickiest in Mahrez) but he is not great at covering runs and getting back into position. I'm not sure if this is a fitness thing or a playstyle thing but I would expect it to improve under Poch's training.

Watching his highlights video vs City it's clear what a great player we have on our hands.

His passing is so progressive and he's so calm on the ball that the team are starting to rely on him and use him as a focal point and this will only increase over time.

I think an issue at the moment is that the attackers need to get on his wavelength and start reacting quicker as there were two noticeable occasions where he played it quickly forward to Lamela and went to join the attack but the ball was lost twice. We haven't had a passer like that from deep for a while so the attackers need to recognise that the ball will be coming into them quicker and they need to react accordingly and maintain possession.

Once everyone is up to speed and we integrate Lo Celso I sense that we'll see some of the best football we've seen at Spurs for a good few years.

Defensively I think he is good at one on one duels (as he showed against one of the league's trickiest in Mahrez) but he is not great at covering runs and getting back into position. I'm not sure if this is a fitness thing or a playstyle thing but I would expect it to improve under Poch's training.

I think defensively he will improve once he understands the teams style, players at Saints often used to say it takes 6 months to fully get Poch’s methods. That’s great but it means it takes players sometimes a while to adapt.

Ndombele however is such a talented player his ability will cover up to an extent this issue.

Struggling with the pace at times I think, thats why he drifts in and out of games he's getting his breath back. That said when he's in the game he looks the dogs knackers. By Christmas when he's fully up to speed will be our most important player IMO

Back
Top Bottom