Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah the guy needs to freed up in midfield by putting Dier / Wanyama in to do the defensive side.
Dier seems to be low in the pecking order nowadays, first is Winks, then NDombele, Sissoko, Wanyama, Skipp and maybe then Dier.

As for Wanyama he’s not capable of playing at the top level anymore imo. So our DM options are severely lacking.

Dier seems to be low in the pecking order nowadays, first is Winks, then NDombele, Sissoko, Wanyama, Skipp and maybe then Dier.

As for Wanyama he’s not capable of playing at the top level anymore imo. So our DM options are severely lacking.
Yeah think Dier is more down to finally getting him fit after last season, yeah personally I would pick Skippy over Wanyama these days

I'm all for giving the lad time, he clearly needs to adjust to our style of play etc.

But as others have said it's more his physical state that worries me. He looks so poorly conditioned and looks out of breath after 15 minutes. All the other midfielders, both ours and Olympiakos', were running rings around him at times.

Do people remember the photo just before he signed. I think he is doing ok but he should of been more responsible with his fitness. I do think people are allowed to be harsh critics though, we payed shitloads for a major player. It is frustrating that all our big signings never seem to kick on straight away.

Do people remember the photo just before he signed. I think he is doing ok but he should of been more responsible with his fitness. I do think people are allowed to be harsh critics though, we payed shitloads for a major player. It is frustrating that all our big signings never seem to kick on straight away.

Naby Keita can't even get a start either. Not saying Tanguy will struggle, but it happens.

Last edited:
Time is what he needs. That being said, I only watched his highlights and what i see is a pretty chill dude out there on the pitch. He makes bursts, but really isn’t a busy body, which I think is what some thought we were getting.

You can tell he has class and I am sure it will shine. We do need a new shape though to get the best out of him. The CM2 is not it.

Bingo.

This was my worry when we signed him, that many wouldn't have watched much of him and thought he was going to be the panacea to all our ills. Ndombele has a lot of good qualities, technically excellent, can drop a shoulder and move past an oppo, and can see a pass - but he's no Makalele.

It's not just that he's constantly putting midfielders into CM2's that asks too much of them, he's doing it against opposition set ups that make it even more likely to struggle.

The only times he plays CM3 (or 1+2) is when he does the stupid diamond, and plays Moura as a twin CF, getting under Kane's feet, and generally making the whole forward area shit.

Why the fuck he can't just play a 433 and be done with it is beyond me. We';ve got a bunch of midfielders that need it, and wide forwards like Son, Moura and Lamela who's suit it.

Bingo.

This was my worry when we signed him, that many wouldn't have watched much of him and thought he was going to be the panacea to all our ills. Ndombele has a lot of good qualities, technically excellent, can drop a shoulder and move past an oppo, and can see a pass - but he's no Makalele.

It's not just that he's constantly putting midfielders into CM2's that asks too much of them, he's doing it against opposition set ups that make it even more likely to struggle.

The only times he plays CM3 (or 1+2) is when he does the stupid diamond, and plays Moura as a twin CF, getting under Kane's feet, and generally making the whole forward area shit.

Why the fuck he can't just play a 433 and be done with it is beyond me. We';ve got a bunch of midfielders that need it, and wide forwards like Son, Moura and Lamela who's suit it.
It’s the fullbacks BC. . . Maybe if Aurier continues to show some competence and Sessegnon comes in then we may change to a 433 but at the moment I don’t see it working either to be honest.

I remember reading stories from his earlier football coaches when he was a kid and they all said that he gets very fat whenever he isn't playing a sport, same with his brothers. Considering he was out for a few weeks with an injury I'm not that surprised he's a bit chubby.

I remember reading stories from his earlier football coaches when he was a kid and they all said that he gets very fat whenever he isn't playing a sport, same with his brothers. Considering he was out for a few weeks with an injury I'm not that surprised he's a bit chubby.
Finally an athlete I can relate to.

That was the issue since January when Dembele was sold and even before that as Dembe couldn’t play every week.
Are you saying the 3 summer signings Levy made didn’t solve the issue?!
May be in Jan !

Nothing like writing a signing off before he has had time to adjust .... does he even speak English yet? I don’t expect to see the best from him until after Christmas but clearly he has got something about him from the goal he scored against palace , plus if poch can turn sisssoko Into a valuable member of the team Ndombele will be fine

Nothing like writing a signing off before he has had time to adjust .... does he even speak English yet? I don’t expect to see the best from him until after Christmas but clearly he has got something about him from the goal he scored against palace , plus if poch can turn sisssoko Into a valuable member of the team Ndombele will be fine
Everyone has said exactly what you said, unless of course you are writing him off.

Maybe he should hire a personal trainer and not turn into an overweight slob so early into the season. He played in the champions league last season and had a full pre season with the club. We paid a record fee for his lazy arse. No excuses.

It’s the fullbacks BC. . . Maybe if Aurier continues to show some competence and Sessegnon comes in then we may change to a 433 but at the moment I don’t see it working either to be honest.

If we played 433 it would help with whatever FB issues we have as you have the lateral midfield cover. It's one of the reasons many of the most successful proactive coaches and teams use it, it allows them to push FB's on.

4231 with two inadequate CM's, a high line, and forwards that don't press anymore just leaves big lateral gaps, as we've seen against City, Arse and Olympiakos.

And nobody can blame Trippier for all of it any more. Gradually it will dawn that it's the structure and system, and the combination therein.

Each and every one of our recent big overseas transfers have struggled and most have flopped. 90% of our signings of English proven players have been excellent.
I am not writing TND off and hopefully he and GLC become big stars for us but we paid a combined £104 m for these 2 and TND is reported to be on massive wages
How much would Coutinho and Can have cost?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom