Tactics under Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele will be his project I reckon. That is his Frank Lampard.
Can't say I wasn't shocked. Really thought he wouldn't like Dele's style. I guess this is our Guardiola-Robben scenario, when everyone thought they wouldn't get along at Bayern, and Robben became his number one player.

You guys know tactics way better than I ever will, but I never want to see Aurier in a Spurs shirt again. Can put up w a lot from a player as long as they are actually trying. Serge seems to half-ass his way around the field way too often. The talk of him walking back leaving Lamela (who screamed for him to track back) to cover for him...no good.

I felt that way about CE because he no longer was putting in an honest shift. But if JM can restore him to what he can be, I'm up for it. Just not at all sure he can accomplish that.

I like Dier, but lack the faith in him. Just seems to have fallen way off. Nervous about the talk of him suddenly playing a ton.

Love Ndombele, but have to admit I don't get why his fitness level is still so off. Needs his fitness to catch up to his talent. But at least he has the talent.

Dele is the mystery to me. Know he has had injury issues, but he really seems to have regressed from his early years. Honestly, when he stopped getting overly emotional, his game seemed to dip.

I can't see Moura getting too much time under Jose. His lack of defensive work is just not going to jive well.

Seems like an odd observation, Lucas actually presses very aggressively and continually for a winger/forward. If anything he has the most defensive input out of him, Kane and Son.

Lots of baseless assumptions....”Son will hate it”

Errr, maybe Son will love having Dele and Eriksen alongside him as AMs as opposed to behind him in central midfield.

Maybe Son will enjoy having the full backs playing forward passes, and the CBs defending corners.....maybe Son will enjoy not being the default sub off guy....and getting a game with Moura from time to time.....maybe Son will enjoy a trophy

Just a thought
Maybe Son won't ever have to worry about playing LWB again.....!

Worried for Winks, Sessegnon and the academy lads

That they will be overworked now?
Because Poch did not give flying f*ck about young players. It is laughable myth and a clichee that he was "promoting youth players into the team".

Skipp, KWP and Tanganga this season are brilliant examples.
All in all he only ever promoted one player into senior lineup prominently - Winks.

And this is an awful return.

During his full 2 seasons, Mou gave Rashford 105 games (!!!) when he was 19-20.

The opening post misses the point entirely

It is not the tactics but if there will be a shift in mentality, not so much for Saturday as opposed to the coming months.

Pochettino got close. Mourinho has got there before so he knows what he adds and what players need.

Let's see if he has still got it. I have some doubts but it's his last chance so the stakes could not be higher.

Huge myth about poch promoting youth tbh. Winks is the only one that has broke through. Mou gave rashford mctominay to mention 2 regular football. Frank has done it at chelsea because he had to. Every other club what manager just throws kids in

I don't think Winks will survive long unless perhaps Jose develops him into a different type of player. Sissoko is strong and hard working but will Jose put up with his flaws? I'm not convinced Sanchez will be fancied as a regular starter. And I don't think Moura will be kept unless Mourinho really dies go for more traditional wingers.

Yes agreed. I think a top class DM is holding us back from playing a real 4-3-3 with Ndombele and Lo Celso sitting just above the DM.

We have a very unbalanced squad. Most players are best playing a central role. Son is the only proven wide player.

Jose's first act will be tightening up the D.

Just hope he builds around Kane, Son, Ndombele, Lo Celso, and Sanchez.
Agree entirely eith all that, except Sanchez. I have never been convinced about him. It will be interesting to see if Mourinho isn't either.

I don't think Winks will survive long unless perhaps Jose develops him into a different type of player. Sissoko is strong and hard working but will Jose put up with his flaws? I'm not convinced Sanchez will be fancied as a regular starter. And I don't think Moura will be kept unless Mourinho really dies go for more traditional wingers.

Winks it will be all about performances. He certainly isn't a natural fit for a Mourinho midfield 2 - a position he has been meticulous over with every club he has been at as far as I know. His days could be numbered.

Sanchez is an interesting one. I honestly can see him thriving under Mourinho. Not only is this a fresh start for Dav under new management - it's my belief that he won't be so exposed defensively. Less big decisions to make, more cover and assistance - he just needs to get the basics right and not make mistakes. Some people and players are mistake prone as a part of who they are, whereas others can become mistake prone due to lacking confidence, trying too hard and such. I'm hoping it's the latter for Sanchez and am really keen to see how he develops now.

Moura I personally just don't think is intelligent enough as a footballer for Mourinho. Very skilful and arguably one of our most naturally gifted footballers. Has a habit of giving the ball away in naive positions though.

I don't see Jose liking Moura at all to be honest.

I’m not sure. It’s an interesting one. He does like counter attacking football, so he will like his pace. But he will absolutely need Moura to stay out wide rather than take up Kane’s space (same might apply to Son as well).

He was also (I think) keen to get Lucas at UTD.

Huge myth about poch promoting youth tbh. Winks is the only one that has broke through. Mou gave rashford mctominay to mention 2 regular football. Frank has done it at chelsea because he had to. Every other club what manager just throws kids in
Klopp with TAA and Robertson maybe? Other than that, I genuinely have no clue, maybe Simone Inzaghi at Lazio.

Mourinho will set up a "solid" team. He has already said that he will work with the Academy because he wants to grow up young. The clear speech about money is important: there are no (due to the stage). If he has accepted then it means that he has seen material already at home. In addition, he requested that Kane not be surrendered. The maximum!

Very true.

Pochettino gave us a collective steel and that worked to a large extent but yep Winks was the only young player to come through.

And none really, other than Kane and Son can be said to be far better players today than they were. I actually think that's fine so no blame on Pochettino here.

But not to win anything in the 5 years, 4 of which the squad and team have been good enough is the failure.

The notion of developing a single player amongst a group is a nonsense really.

I don't see Jose liking Moura at all to be honest.
Really? I think the fact they both Speak Portugese might actually endear him more... same as with Dier!

The one thing Mourinho seems to do in his first month or so at all of his new clubs is to stabilise and solidify... he puts his trust in the experienced players already at the club, (Jan and Toby will play together early on I reckon)
His trust in youth is based on whether they are GOOD enough...
Time will tell if Foyth, Sanchez, Winks and KWP fit into that bracket...
Likewise Tagana and Parrott may be trusted enough to at least feature on the bench more regularly...

The hard work ethic players like Son, Kane will continue to be faves under Mourinho... and even Lamela (who has an aggressive side that bely his STAGGERINGLY good looks!) to an extent will surely continue to be given game time...

And here's 2 other bold predictions...
Eriksen will turn it around under Jose, who will also tell Dele to 'rediscover his nasty streak'...
he hasn't quite been the same player since all that 'Roberta' (flack) he got over that Jacob punch!

Really? I think the fact they both Speak Portugese might actually endear him more... same as with Dier!

The one thing Mourinho seems to do in his first month or so at all of his new clubs is to stabilise and solidify... he puts his trust in the experienced players already at the club, (Jan and Toby will play together early on I reckon)
His trust in youth is based on whether they are GOOD enough...
Time will tell if Foyth, Sanchez, Winks and KWP fit into that bracket...
Likewise Tagana and Parrott may be trusted enough to at least feature on the bench more regularly...

The hard work ethic players like Son, Kane will continue to be faves under Mourinho... and even Lamela (who has an aggressive side that bely his STAGGERINGLY good looks!) to an extent will surely continue to be given game time...

And here's 2 other bold predictions...
Eriksen will turn it around under Jose, who will also tell Dele to 'rediscover his nasty streak'...
he hasn't quite been the same player since all that 'Roberta' (flack) he got over that Jacob punch!

He will definitely try and get Dele back but, at the same time, he will surely demand he cut out all the flicks and turns. Mourinho will not tolerate losing the balk when we’re out of shape, something Dele has definitely been guilty of.

The lad is going to have to knuckle down.

Back
Top Bottom