Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think so? I think defending has got better ,and as you said fitness.But the skillful players back then had to contend with wearing boots that were nowhere near as comfortable as today,and kicking a ball that (especially when wet) was like toe punting a cannon ball.Go back a few years before that,and the boots were like drill boots.
I sometimes think we don't give some of them old players the credit they deserve.
Have you seen the game? It's a bit of an eye opener

s-l225.jpg

After Googling,its the one at the top. Mick Stead? Help an old boy out someone.
What you've got there, are the signatures of

Xhiuk Snail - the speedy Korean winger
Chis San - Chinese right back, good crosser but awful in defence
Shunt Beans - Captain of the USA Saccer team
Eolie Fee - French box to box midfielder

You're welcome!

I am not quite 60s vintage but saw my first few games in the early 70s. Also went to a few Wet Spam games as a kid as my Mum was Spurs (used to go with her dad in the 50s) and my Dad was Wet Spam (grew up in East Ham) and the odd Orient game too. It was a case of looking in the paper to see who was at home and then going as a treat for me and my brother. All were roughly eqi-distant from Epping where we lived. I would have been 8 or 9 at the time. Only did 4 or 5 games a year. As my mum was more interested in football than my dad we ended up going to Spurs more often as we got a bit older (Thanks mum !) Went to more and more games during the early 70s before going regularly in th 76/77 season when we got relegated. Remember the last game v Leicester and the pitch invasion feeling more like we had won the league. The following year I went to every home game except 2 (the 9 nil v Bristol Rovers and the 5-1 v Oldham !! as we went on our first foriegn holiday to Corfu in the October half term holiday). After that was a regular and had a standing season ticket on the shelf in the early 80s. Best season at the time was 81/82 when i was 19 managed to do 55 out of 60 ish games that year home and away inc the european games v Ajax and Eintract Franfurt. Enjoyed the 'glory years' of the early 80s but then stopped going for a bit after the 89 season and Hillsborough, mainly due to having kids of my own and my mates all drifting away from it too. Got back to going in recent years and am now a season ticket holder again and got to say the current team is the best I have ever seen and were it not for the 'money teams' currently we would have been enjoying an era of trophy winning like the early 80s and early 60s. Spurs have been my life. COYS !!

My old man used to go in the glory days.

Was there against Gornik with my mum in the East Stand.

Dave Mackay is still his hero.
Same with my father. He would have watched just about every home game in the sixties. I remember the
big pile of match day programs he had.

No, that's me ;)
I watched "Those Glory Glory Days" again the other day (Film Four's '1st Love strand from 1983, for those unfamiliar with it... well worth a watch!) ...and I can't help but think it coulda also been Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman 's life experience from 1981 instead of 1961!

Don't ruin the dream Mrs P, but I can just imagine you and yer mates going to the Lane each week, camping out in front of the gates, in the hope of meeting Steve Perryman, and getting Cup Final Tickets for the Man City game! ...am I wrong...?

I watched "Those Glory Glory Days" again the other day (Film Four's '1st Love strand from 1983, for those unfamiliar with it... well worth a watch!) ...and I can't help but think it coulda also been Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman 's life experience from 1981 instead of 1961!

Don't ruin the dream Mrs P, but I can just imagine you and yer mates going to the Lane each week, camping out in front of the gates, in the hope of meeting Steve Perryman, and getting Cup Final Tickets for the Man City game! ...am I wrong...?
I’ve got it on dvd one of the better football films then I could be biased :rolleyes:

Yes I used to wait at the car park gate to see if I could see Stevie, and managed to get his autograph for the first time -I still have it :)
Interestingly enough, one of the girls in that film (Cathy Murphy) was a neighbour of mine when I lived in Ilford. Her dad was a Spurs fan and she bought him a car with her earnings.

I was certain that this was common knowledge on this forum, not that Blanchflower Blanchflower mentions it a lot. Fairly sure there was a thread or part of one on it.

Thought it was up there with where jimmyriggle jimmyriggle lives, Carlos Brigante’s golden folder, and Maria’s topless photo. (One for the old ‘uns on here).

The good old days. I'm sure I heard flav or Thelonious Thelonious mention on the pod the other day that Maria and someone else from the forum got married. Perhaps they fell in love over at oi gorgeous?

Back
Top Bottom