Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wow, that is some claim to fame - have you mentioned it before? If that were me, every man and his dog would know about it.
I had a conversation with your great uncle, Danny's younger brother, Jackie at a Player of the Year dance. I didn't know much about him, but he told me that he was a survivor of the Munich air disaster. He came over as a really nice man and a character.
Would be great to hear more stories from your dad about the old days.

Pretty sure I have, but not sure when and I've been posting on here since Sept 2011!

Jackie was a very, very funny man. Was a professional after dinner speaker.

My Dad still gets to a lot of home games, so if you see him feel free to ask him to recount some stories - you will struggle to shut him up.

Pretty sure I have, but not sure when and I've been posting on here since Sept 2011!

My Dad still gets to a lot of home games, so if you see him feel free to ask him to recount some stories - you will struggle to shut him up.
I certainly will :)

My dad has a very minor claim to fame in that he used to be Bill Nicholson’s paperboy, when he in lived in Tottenham. Goalkeeper Ted Ditchburn lived next door I’m told.

Some time before my gran was one day scrubbing her front doorstep in Hampden Road when Bill stopped and asked her if she knew anyone who had a room for rent, as he was looking for digs. No mansions in the suburbs for footballers in those days.

Weeknights it was impossible to find out the results unless someone at the game called you. I remember one season I'd had a big bet with a gooner at school that QPR would finish above them in the league. I was so sure, I gave him far too generous odds. From then on till the end of the season QPR could hardly get a point. The last game of the season? QPR playing Goons midweek. one point separating them. He found out the result and gleefully told me to get the dosh ready next morning. I was sick to my stomach with working out how to get the money together. Next morning I picked up the paper in a daze and saw that QPR had done enough to finish ahead of them. Bastard!!

I also remember going to matches and if you waited at your end station long enough you could get the Evening News footie section with all the write ups of the London matches.

I was away at Uni in Scotland, and my parents would cut out the match reports and stick them in the post with their weekly letter. When Spurs got to the FA cup final, it was on at exactly the same time as the Scottish Cup final, you had to drive down to Berwick to find a pub telly showing us.
l remember that news black out in the 70's .
I would be sent down to the newsagent on Saturday about 6.30 to wait for the evening news to arrive .A small crowd had gathered and we would all wait just to read the match reports .
Your only news was Grandstands 1 minute report around 4.55 and maybe the game would be shown on Match of the day .
That was it , if you missed those segments you had it . No radio football chat shows , absolutely nothing .
Teletext seemed revolutionary when it arrived in the early 90s ?

Up to the late 90s l can still remember hordes of men gathering in city centre Currys , Rumbelows , Dixon's etc . Pretending to look interested in the Tv's but just really waiting for scorelines to appear at the bottom of the screen .
We did walk in darkness but it was normal to us .

One other thing people might not believe is that Spurs and Woolwich never played at home at the same time.
Not because of crowd trouble but so that locals could watch a match, one week Spurs the next goons!!
My uncle always went to both, the only entertainment available then...always loved Spurs best tho!

I could never do that

As soon as I became a Spur I hated Woolwich with a passion and still do although the Chavs and the Dippers have overtaken them in my hatred

Woolwich to me now are another Spam

Like an irritating mosquito

I could never do that

As soon as I became a Spur I hated Woolwich with a passion and still do although the Chavs and the Dippers have overtaken them in my hatred

Woolwich to me now are another Spam

Like an irritating mosquito
same for me . Football is completely tribal , Arse (historic) and the Chavs are on an equal level of dislike .
The Chavs with their plastic/tourist/old school right wing fan , a blend worse than anyone .
Honestly l don't feel the hate for spam as l was brought up in leafy South London on the verge of the country , where they had no influence .

I’m afraid even our oldest members were probably just kids, though maybe Arthur Wensleydale Arthur Wensleydale or maybe I’m confusing him with someone else, started attending in the late 50’s and he can give a good account

Not that old! Followed the double side but wasn't allowed to go until Boxing day '62. The best account I ever read about the 60s was Jimmy's autobiography, 'Greavsie.'
Real in depth, analysis of the game as a whole. I thoroughly recommend it.

One other thing people might not believe is that Spurs and Woolwich never played at home at the same time.
Not because of crowd trouble but so that locals could watch a match, one week Spurs the next goons!!
My uncle always went to both, the only entertainment available then...always loved Spurs best tho!
My father in law who is long gone also used to go to both Woolwich and Spurs matches. Although maybe because I was Spurs always seemed to prefer them.

Think it was Terry Dyson (or one of the legends), used to go out with a girl that lived near my mum and dad in Shoreditch.

They used to see him waiting outside her house, imagine that now lol

Football was so so real back then .

Just before my time. Started following the fortunes of the mighty Lilywhites in (Feb) 1968 buy i was only 7 and living in the far East so didn't really start ''supporting' the team until around 1970/71 and went to my first game in 1972.
pretty much my story
really got into football in 67 (dad was in the RAF and we were in Singapore) and we didn't get back until jan 70
went to my first home game in 71

My first ever game was pikeys v Spurs at Upton Park in 1964' my grandad took me. We used to live in one the roads off Green St, so we walled to the ground. Lost 3-2 but still didn't put me off. My first home game was against Sheffield Utd a week before the 1967 cup final which we won 2-0.

Started going regularly on my own in 1969, up to then my uncle used to take me. Vaguely remember Spurs doing the double as my uncle came home celebrating, but do remember the 1962 cup final. Remember getting the special edition of the Evening News coloured front cover of Spurs team and on the back cover the Burnley team. Back then they always done the special editions for cup finals.
Also remember when we won the European Cup winners Cup, really a great time to be a Spurs supporter,
Also remember you could wait for the late paper for the football results, I remember waiting in our local news agents with my grandad for the van to deliver.
I have the DVD of that final - if you want a copy - pm me

Love this thread - As a child of the 90s this is great. All I've known is the Sky Sports Premier League era and I've become disillusioned with that already. Can't believe how some of the older generations can put up with it.

Found a load of my dad's old match programmes from the 70s and 80s a few years back and really enjoyed reading them. A completely different game back then.

Was Kelley Blanchflower ,who use to play for the ladies team a family member? I often wondered

I have just dug out my old programes.

Pride of place is Bristol Rovers away (18th March 1978) which i got signed in the White Hart after the coach got back to Tottenham.
Neil McNabb. Terry Naylor. Ian Moores & Peter Taylor
&
Mansfield away (25th March 1978)
Steve Perryman. Colin Lee & Glenn Hoddle & one other which i simply cannot recall. Looks like Keith Osgood but im not sure he was in the team or even on the bench. Maybe he travelled? Dunno.

Back
Top Bottom