Super Spurs versus Carbon City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont know if I've missed it, though I've looked hard, but the whole Sterling-Rose business seems to have been swept under the carpet. On another day I couldnt quibble if both Rose and Otamendi had gone. But Sterling seemed to get away with several OTT incidents, including one which was clearly over the ball, as you see Rose pointing out [if you can lipread]. Then there was whatever bizarre incident happened shortly after that in roughly the same place, where play contined down the other end but Rose had clearly been knocked down in some manner. Of course they didnt replay it or even mention it. Maybe thats the one that the film a few pages back was showing, but I think there was another one also. Seems to me that if someone pointed that out to the retrospective panel, Mr Sterling could be looking at a few matches ban. Any thoughts from eye witnesses over that side etc ?

Well spotted ! I also noticed that Sky did not replay any of those offside decisions even though several were clearly debatable. Mind you, the same applied in the second half as well.
The one on the counter where Son was through one on one with Bravo was replayed on the US feed and he was still in our half when the ball was played. The officiating was particularly shocking yesterday. To the letter that match ends 10 9 in our favor numbers wise.
I was really impressed with Wanyama for controlling himself with a yellow for so long. He really is an interchangeable part for Dier and may even be a better distributor. Wanyama and Dembele maybe an unbeatable central midfield partnership both ways.

I don't think it has anything to do with antisemitism. We're just not a popular club. Sky and the media in general will pander to the bigger fan base or the clubs with more influence.

There will always be a love in with Liverpool, simply due to their history and size, even though we've consistently finished above them in recent history. Tottenham get ignored because we haven't got a global fan base, haven't got as prestigious a history as some, don't have the financial power of others...there's no benefit in the media writing about us.

Which then becomes a self fulfilling cycle. Media/papers don't talk about us, or not in glowing terms. Fans don't bother with the media/papers. Media/papers see a decline in views on Tottenham articles. So media don't talk about us. And on it goes.

Even Jamie Redknapp speaks down about us. It's just the done thing in media.

Im aware of the love in with Utd and Liverpool, they are the Flag ships of the Sky-PL.
We better start winning things?
We will never compete with Utd or Liverpool because but Chavs/Arse or City we are up there-we just need to set a high profile by achieving things now. History is tomorrow success.

Sunday was my first time at the lane since Tactic's last match vs Villa in 2014.

That club video they show before the teams come out is fucking epic, tipped me over the edge and definitely brought a tear to my eye.

Anyway. I'm never going back to the Lane now. What would be the point. I have now experienced peak football.

Glorious. I love you all.

And for what it's worth, I don't see Liverpool as a threat at all.

Their defence is shocking, no where near good enough to win a title. 9th worst defence in the league, letting in 10 goals in 3 games, they tend to concede in every game. The only reason they look good is because 1) They've had shit loads of pens 2) They've out-scored every team they've played so far, which hasn't be hard when you look at the teams they played.

Sooner or later equilibrium will catch up with them and balance things out. You can't score 3-4 goals in every game and their squad lack depth. One or two injuries and they're down and out, whereas we can survive 5-6 and be fine. When Milner is your top goal scorer you know things will collapse sooner or later - that isn't sustainable.

I do agree with what you say, but they are the only team to make us look ordinary in a half of football this season.

Granted we regrouped and recovered to earn a draw which may negate my above point. Hopefully they aren't consistent.

I dont know if I've missed it, though I've looked hard, but the whole Sterling-Rose business seems to have been swept under the carpet. On another day I couldnt quibble if both Rose and Otamendi had gone. But Sterling seemed to get away with several OTT incidents, including one which was clearly over the ball, as you see Rose pointing out [if you can lipread]. Then there was whatever bizarre incident happened shortly after that in roughly the same place, where play contined down the other end but Rose had clearly been knocked down in some manner. Of course they didnt replay it or even mention it. Maybe thats the one that the film a few pages back was showing, but I think there was another one also. Seems to me that if someone pointed that out to the retrospective panel, Mr Sterling could be looking at a few matches ban. Any thoughts from eye witnesses over that side etc ?

I think Sterling will avoid any retrospective ban just because he's so small and weedy - nothing he does looks threatening as he runs like a small girl.

Well spotted ! I also noticed that Sky did not replay any of those offside decisions even though several were clearly debatable. Mind you, the same applied in the second half as well.

This really fucking winds me up because the Sky/BT narrative is so prevalent when Spurs play its unreal. Whether it's last season saying "IS THIS WHEN LEICESTER WIN IT!?" every time we played, or shitty stuff like never replaying the debatable offside decisions against Shitty which sounds like some of them never were...

I get that they want to protect their favourite clubs because they are the biggest fan bases and earners etc, but for fucks sake can we be a bit more impartial? The fact that papers, sky, bbc etc are saying next to nothing about Spurs title chances this season is further proof. If Liverpool made the start that we had they would be fucking odds on by now.

Jesus wept, being a Spurs fan there's always something isn't there.

Not a fuck I could give that everyone is bigging up the dippers & the other perennial sky favourites. We go about our business quietly & professionally. We have turned out decent results whilst not at our best & made a proper statement of intent on Sunday with a performance of ruthless power & efficiency against the title favourites. We are ticking over nicely & Nobody will fancy playing us at the moment. I genuinely think we have the added experience & squad depth this time around. I am confident we will be in the mix all season- which makes for a happy rollercoaster ride. COYS !!!

Even Jamie Redknapp speaks down about us. It's just the done thing in media.
Actually, Jaime Redknapp has surprisingly been one of our most vocal supporters recently. He and his buddy Gary Neville have practically idolized Pochettino since we really got going last season.

That being said, they're Pochettino fans and not Spurs fans, and they'd like him to make the move to Manchester or Chelsea.

So , if we would have had this seasons start last season, where would we have ended up?

Well, we've matched every single result from last season so far - so I guess we'll see if we can IMPROVE on the results that had us finishing 3rd. If we match all of our results from last season, we'd be lucky to get top four again in my view.

Let's start by turning last seasons point against West Brom into 3 points.

This time last season we had 12 points, Spam and Woolwich had 13, City 15 and Man U 16.
LCFC had 12 .
7 games later LCFC had 29 points with City, Man U 28, Woolwich 27 us 25 and spam 22.

Then another 7 from that Woolwich had 43, along with LCFC, City 40 us 36 and Spam 35.

We started bad? We made 1 point less in the first 7 games than we did in the next 7, and the 7 after that we made 1 less point.

Well, we've matched every single result from last season so far - so I guess we'll see if we can IMPROVE on the results that had us finishing 3rd. If we match all of our results from last season, we'd be lucky to get top four again in my view.

Let's start by turning last seasons point against West Brom into 3 points.
We drew with Stoke 2-2. and we were 8th > 7 games played and 12 points on the table on the 3rd Oct 2015.
City were top with 18 points. We are doing much better now than last season at this point?

We drew with Stoke 2-2. and we were 8th > 7 games played and 12 points on the table on the 3rd Oct 2015.
City were top with 18 points. We are doing much better now than last season at this point?
He means like for like fixtures.

Everton (a) - same score
Palace (h) - same score
Liverpool (h) - same result
Stoke (a) - same score
Sunderland (h) - same result
Middlesbrough (a) - same result
Man City (h) - same result

Middlesbrough finished 2nd in last season's Championship, so have been taken to equal last season's 19th placed team, Norwich.

He means like for like fixtures.

Everton (a) - same score
Palace (h) - same score
Liverpool (h) - same result
Stoke (a) - same score
Sunderland (h) - same result
Middlesbrough (a) - same result
Man City (h) - same result

Middlesbrough finished 2nd in last season's Championship, so have been taken to equal last season's 19th placed team, Norwich.
I get that and its nonsense. Its all about when you play these teams. We are doing better at this stage of the season compared to last. We are sitting second whereas last season it was 8th.

I get that and its nonsense. Its all about when you play these teams. We are doing better at this stage of the season compared to last. We are sitting second whereas last season it was 8th.

Not necessarily. If we matched every single result from last season we'd end up with 70 points again. Which usually at best will get you 5th place. Sure, it's great being 2nd in the league now and better off POINTS wise then we were at this stage last season but that means fuck all too. It's where we are at the end of the season. Every team around us has strengthened or have looked better then they did last season.

Back
Top Bottom