Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'Gammon Brexit types'? I don't think it's down to politics, I think it's down to an overly romanticized view of Bale and what he'd be able to do if he returned.

I've seen all sorts say they want Bale back, and all sorts say it would be a terrible idea and won't happen (which I agree with).

Apologies, perhaps I should rephrase it from ‘gammon Brexit’ types. To those people who have a clouded memory of how previously good times were great and not realising the world has changed for the better in those intervening years. The Bale of years ago has had his best and is now in the downward spiral to retirement. His signing is one of nostalgia, would he have the fitness levels to play in the PL now? Would much rather we took a punt on a younger player who can be developed into the next Bale.

Apologies, perhaps I should rephrase it from ‘gammon Brexit’ types. To those people who have a clouded memory of how previously good times were great and not realising the world has changed for the better in those intervening years. The Bale of years ago has had his best and is now in the downward spiral to retirement. His signing is one of nostalgia, would he have the fitness levels to play in the PL now? Would much rather we took a punt on a younger player who can be developed into the next Bale.
The funny thing is that I'm sure if you asked a lot of these people braying for Bale - they'd tell you that Lamela needs selling because he's too injury prone.
:allitongue:

Heart over head, I fear. Luckily for us in the long term, Daniel Levy is very much about the latter than the former, and it's done us well overall.

All of this talk about Bale, yet his wages are extortionate and Levy won’t pay Toby and Christian what they want according to the news? Seems a bit silly if you ask me...

Am i reading this right?

Bale = Shit
Rondon = Just what we need?

:sonhmm: :dembelelol:
200.gif

All of this talk about Bale, yet his wages are extortionate and Levy won’t pay Toby and Christian what they want according to the news? Seems a bit silly if you ask me...

It's not that Levy isn't paying Toby or Eriksen what they want - it's mostly their agents wanting more.

Rumours have been going round for over a year that we offered Alderweireld a substantial amount, that he was happy with, but his father (agent) wanted more and pulled out of the deal. We could quite easily have offered Eriksen 200k a week on parity with Kane and his agent could quite easily have rejected it knowing that Madrid or other big interested clubs could offer more.

If we offered either of them a 3 year deal for example worth 200k a week - that's about £30,000,000 each. Seems like a no brainer for two world class players doesn't it? Especially considering the price of replacements etc.

I genuinely think one of Eriksen/Toby will sign a new deal - not sure which one

Really ? I hardly think signing an 18 year old left back will send messages out that we mean business to the players. He looks a good prospect, but we need a big signing. Now, signing Zaha before the CL would signal an intent to mean business for the new season, but certainly not Ryan Sessegnon.

We need smart signings not necessarily big ones. Sessegnon for 30m all day over Zaha for 70m for me. Kid's got potential to be much more useful than Zaha.

And he's not a LB. He's a forward, that's where his future lies.

Only based on age and how we dealt with Alderweireld out of the team in 2017/2018.

I don't think Eriksen is as important as people say in the sense that I think we'll get by fine without him with smart signings and a chance in formation.
My heart would say Eriksen, but then I wonder if the benefit of Toby penning a new deal and dodging the £25m-buyout-clause shaped bullet would outweigh losing Eriksen for a shit ton of money.

But that would come down to how much Levy could actually command for an Eriksen with only one year left.

Edit: but then again, I think I'd like to see what Eriksen could do amongst some new recruits too damn much to see him go.

Back
Top Bottom