Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Summer 2019, what to expect...

Champions League = €106m
Participation €15m,
Prize money: €55m,
UEFA coefficient: €16m
TV pool: €16m
Total €102m (€106m w/ final)

Premier League = £141.8m
PL TV income: £30.1million
PL Prize money: £32.3million
PL TV Equal share: £79.4million

Potencial Player Sales = £135m
Vorm £0m
Alderweireld £25m
Carter-vickers £2.5m
Trippier £25m
Onomah £5m
Eriksen £75m
Nkoudou £2.5m
Llorente £0m

Net spend, £10m
:levywhoa:

Bored as I can be after some minor health problems having me in and out of sleep with meds. Really apologise for the long post but I thought I'd contribute what I can in this thread while I'm awake and composed haha. I've had a lot of spare time on my hands in the last two and I love to watch foreign football and do the whole "arm chair manager bit. Basically a long way of saying that I have watched at minimum 5 full matches of players I'm talking about.

There's certainly people like @ Nabil Bentaleb and @ Totti who's opinions I respect on their view of foreign players so I thought I'd give my own views.

Anyway before I begin I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed / survived the end of the season and especially the magic of Dam. What an amazing time it is to be a spurs fan eh?

Anyway, a couple of random thoughts. We need to spend but I think we don't need to try throw £300m at the squad. A couple shrewd moves alongside 1 real signing of intent / Poch's 1st choice would be fantastic. Apologies for length again

Sessegnon in for under £30m with a view to be played as a LB / LWB would be an idea I can get on board with. Keep Davies while he develops but to also be used as the left sided centre back when Jan is missing if we use a 3 CB formation.

I think we should seriously look at Maxi Gomez of Celta Vigo. Sorry for the cheap "he's like x" but he does have a very Suarez vibe about him. With Lamela likely leaving due to his constant injuries I think this man could really push for a place in the team. I've said elsewhere that Kane could play as the 10 behind a forward and Gomez's intense pressing , technical ability and strength could allow Kane so much space to exploit runs by Ali, Son and Moura. Another similar player I could see doing the same job would be Lautauro Martinez of Inter Milan

RB is tricky. There's a couple of the obvious young English RB's that have been discussed but , depending on if we can balance the squad with the required nationalities in other positions, there's a plethora of exciting RB's out there. I really like Atal although I think he'd best suit a 3 CB formation. Having Sissoko in midfield is a huge bonus for anyone playing RB in this team though and another true DM would also help negate potential issues.

Going to throw out the name Kevin Mbambu of Young boys would love to know if anyone else has watched him and what their thoughts would be.

DM needs to be considered as a big money area. I do like Diawara despite his lack of minutes and , intsrestingly , from the post of some CM comparisons he leads the way in average distance in passes. That's a potentially potent attribute for us with our forwards seamless ability to gain space within seconds of transitions.

Berge I also like. He has a unique physique and seems like a more mobile Matic. Looks to have a good understanding of when to go short and long. I'd be excited to see what Poch could do with him.

N'didi for a reasonable fee would be great. Lots of stamina and stats to prove he'll help you win and retain possession.

Santiago Ascaciber ( I tried ) Kennie Of Schalke and that US international Tyler Adams are all exciting looking prospects.

I'd take Declan Rice but even with the small percentage that those bellends would consider selling to us I'm not sure he'd be worth the potential £60m they'd ask for.

I'd happily take Grealish for under 30m. Can play CM or behind the front 3 and I don't think he's going to be one of those who shines in the championship but looks lost in the PL. Not if he goes to a solid club with quality around him.

Gedson Fernandes is an interesting player imho. He'd only be worth buying if we could get him for £20-25m as I don't think he'd be able to challenge for a 1st eleven place for at least a year. But he does fit the mound of being able to play in different positions as I could see him as an AM or as an attack minded CM.

Bruno Fernandes / Pepe / N'Dombele / Brandt / Asenjo / Isco are all player that we should be looking at as big impact signings. Who knows how many of them would be realistic given the likely interest from cash rich clubs.

And , finally if you've made it this far then if we do need to looka t 1/2 new CB's in the next 18 months then I honestly think we could switch from a Belgian duo to a French one that would see is set for a while.

De Ligt would be great but there's literally 6-7 French CB's around that could come in and become top top class. Upamecano, Konate, Mounde, Sarr , tobido the list goes on and on.

Eder militao looks very promising and is a bit like Doer in that he seems capable of playing as a CB , RB and CDM

Anyway thanks for reading if you did

Thanks for this.

Hope to see you back posting regularly shortly. All the best and hope you fell better soon

Very strong romours around the office that Sessegnon could be announced before the CL, a big money 'positive' signing is seen as a way to boost Poch and the squad. Not by any means a done deal, PSG have made a real offer plus another London club as well, but the talk is that Sessegnon wants London and Spurs top his choices, it's now just getting together on the number, come on DL get one in early for once ....

Fulham will sell they have to cut their wages budget massively, it's just a question of to whom.

Very strong romours around the office that Sessegnon could be announced before the CL, a big money 'positive' signing is seen as a way to boost Poch and the squad. Not by any means a done deal, PSG have made a real offer plus another London club as well, but the talk is that Sessegnon wants London and Spurs top his choices, it's now just getting together on the number, come on DL get one in early for once ....

Fulham will sell they have to cut their wages budget massively, it's just a question of to whom.

Really ? I hardly think signing an 18 year old left back will send messages out that we mean business to the players. He looks a good prospect, but we need a big signing. Now, signing Zaha before the CL would signal an intent to mean business for the new season, but certainly not Ryan Sessegnon.

What, more specifically, has Sessengon proved in the EPL...?
Not spotted the supposedly special talent this kid is supposed to have. He looks like someone whose been thrust to the level too soon and needs time to adapt to it's pace and intensity. Maybe then the talent will shine but can't say I've seen anything at all yet from his time in the PL.

I'm Dutch myself. I don't think the English can really pronounce his name right, right away. Same happened with Dirk Kuyt at the dippers.

You know Eek the cat?
eek-the-cat-t.jpg

Fuck Eek the cat. But place a B before Eek and that's how you pronounce Donny's name. Makes it sound a wee bit more Dutch.

Of course we can pronounce 'beek'.... It's in the english language....

Just divvy announcers and misinformed Ajax fans muddying the water it seems.

Not spotted the supposedly special talent this kid is supposed to have. He looks like someone whose been thrust to the level too soon and needs time to adapt to it's pace and intensity. Maybe then the talent will shine but can't say I've seen anything at all yet from his time in the PL.

Indeed. EPL proven doesn't simply mean one has played in said league; it's means proving to be capable of playing and contributing well at said level.

Not better than Rose/Davies or Son/Lucas/Lamela currently so at least lets see things for what they are.... He's a punt.... An expensive GKN if you will.

....Otherwise next thing you know he'll be considered a bust based on his pricetag rather than his development (just ask Davison!) ...

Being young!!!!!!

Popular narrative: Spend big and improve the first XI.

Solution: Spend 40m on a kid who got relegated having looked a shadow of his former champo self.... One who is not as good as any of the players we already have in his position(s).

Yeh.... Sure that'll rocket us up the league!

Tbh, I'm not saying don't buy him, but as usual the trf enthusiasts in our midst seem to lack insight and perspective; as well as focus as to what they actually wanted afterall.

Popular narrative: Spend big and improve the first XI.

Solution: Spend 40m on a kid who got relegated having looked a shadow of his former champo self.... One who is not as good as any of the players we already have in his position(s).

Yeh.... Sure that'll rocket us up the league!

Tbh, I'm not saying don't buy him, but as usual the trf enthusiasts in our midst seem to lack insight and perspective; as well as focus as to what they actually wanted afterall.

So what are you saying? we should buy 'proven' players like Sanchez, Fred, Seri, Wilshere ... proven players who in fact aren't worth a bean ...

Buying the best young players is exactly what's needed ... in case you've missed it Man City have

Jesus - signed at 19 - 28m
Sane - signed at 20 - 45m
Sterling - signed at 21 - 57m
Silva - signed at 22 - 45m

How's that working out for them?

Sure we need a balance - experienced CB, experienced DM, experienced FB - but don't crap on the youth .... one bad season doesn't make him a bad player, Sterling would be well fecked if that was the case ...

Really ? I hardly think signing an 18 year old left back will send messages out that we mean business to the players. He looks a good prospect, but we need a big signing. Now, signing Zaha before the CL would signal an intent to mean business for the new season, but certainly not Ryan Sessegnon.

The one thing the rumor is telling me is that Poch could be willing to give his youth some prominent spots in the squad. 40£ for a bench player, who still has to develop, just doesn't sit well with me, especially when the time is now. So this tells me that Poch truly believes in this kid and that KWP has a spot next year. No way do we play Ryan KWP minutes after dripping loot on him. Maybe Poch is looking around the league and seeing you can bleed youth if they have the requisite skills The old, "you need experience to get the job" is possibly out the window?

I really think Sessegnon can be a very good player, he would be a good buy, but not a player that would improve us by now. Gomes isn't so good, would be maybe a good sub, but we could't be thinking of put a big amount in two players that won't come to, at least, compete to be starters. Neither Sessegnon no Gomes are, by now, the quality to be first teamers. I don't get why we will go after Gomes with players like Berge probably avaliable for less.

Back
Top Bottom