Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It makes more sense than selling, then spending and hoping to rebuild equal or better - at least you get a season to bed in new signings in combination with the top class player you expect to sell (and the chance to win something with what amounts to 120% of the squad strength you can really afford). Its a gamble, though. They'd have been fucked previously if Suarez, Coutinho, or soon Salah fucked their knee or something equally disastrous....then you're staring at a big hole in your budget and years of reduced spending to patch it.

Guess it comes down to the amount of risk you're willing to tolerate.

Indeed. Also noting where respective risks lie and how you're pre-pared to counter-balance them.....

I guess what I had in mind was the phenomena where if you sell big and THEN spend, selling clubs typically take note and hike their prices accordingly. Plus, I guess it's hard to argue that on a playing level 'replacement in first' doesn't prevail in terms of sound contingency. Imagine; getting caught short at the end of a trf window.... Yikes.

Does all this not stem from you being (to whatever extent) offended by the idea of us shopping for Champo players?

...Otherwise, what's your point?

Mine is simple. Good players can be found under all sorts of 'rocks'. Being closed minded is silly.

(Btw, did you not like my quiz question? :pochsulk:)
I agree that you can find good players in most of the leagues. But it’s harder to find them in lower leagues than in top leagues. I suggested we should shop for quality players to replace some of our first teamers. You kept banging about Championship and how Grealish can do the job Eriksen does. I disagreed with that and I think if we’re gonna sell Eriksen, we need someone of similar quality. Like Frenkie de Jong.
Don’t quote me on that player, just giving you an example.

I agree that you can find good players in most of the leagues. But it’s harder to find them in lower leagues than in top leagues. I suggested we should shop for quality players to replace some of our first teamers. You kept banging about Championship and how Grealish can do the job Eriksen does. I disagreed with that and I think if we’re gonna sell Eriksen, we need someone of similar quality. Like Frenkie de Jong.
Don’t quote me on that player, just giving you an example.

LOL...... Pretty sure I wasn't.

- “What is this nonsense? ....Grielish (eg) or Dele (previously) are somehow meant to single-handedly propel their clubs to being a top 8 club in Europe?”

- “.....Would that be the same Grealish who evidently was wanted by Poch last summer?”

No other mention of Grielish.
No mention of Eriksen at all, nor replacing any of our players.

Mewanwhile, if you're prepared to explain how merely contradicting your sentiment equates to "bangin' on" even though you've been happy to contra-challenge me every step of the way; then fill yer boots....

LOL...... Pretty sure I wasn't.

- “What is this nonsense? ....Grielish (eg) or Dele (previously) are somehow meant to single-handedly propel their clubs to being a top 8 club in Europe?”

- “.....Would that be the same Grealish who evidently was wanted by Poch last summer?”

No other mention of Grielish.
No mention of Eriksen at all, nor replacing any of our players.

Mewanwhile, if you're prepared to explain how merely contradicting your sentiment equates to "bangin' on" even though you've been happy to contra-challenge me every step of the way; then fill yer boots....
Ok you didn’t say anything about Eriksen. I assumed wrongly since the whole discussion started when I said replacing Eriksen and Toby with Championship players would be wrong.

Ok you didn’t say anything about Eriksen. I assumed wrongly since the whole discussion started when I said replacing Eriksen and Toby with Championship players would be wrong.

I'm well aware of what was said thanks.....

In fact, on inspection: YOU were the only one "banging on" about Eriksen being replaced by Grielish to begin with.

It's ok because we're going to sign Grealish and Sessegnon. Oh and Daniel James, the god of speed. :adestare:
Barcelona and Real Madrid will shit their pants next year.
Ok so we're going to spend 40m on Grealish so he can jack off while sitting on the bench.

If you're trying to shit-house here, you're failing.

I responded to (paraphrasing) "We should be buying players form leagues like Eredivisie, not the Champo"...

Walk away. It's over.

Because they're entering the most expensive, arguably highest-average quality league on the planet, and any club not currently in the Champion's League would struggle not to be in the relegation fight?
Never really thought of that, but not far off the truth. I can see Mainz, Sampdoria and Getafe all going down in a bad year.

Although you know if West Ham played in the Eredevise they’d end up mid table

Hugo leaving in the summer?

Spurs captain Lloris is reportedly set to leave the club at the end of the season, with Argentina international Paulo Gazzaniga ready to step up and become no.1 at the new White Hart Lane.

And according to the Daily Star, the north Londoners are looking to bring in 25-year-old Malencia as back-up.

I used to rate Ake but he's had a terrible season. I know defence is a team effort and Bournemouth have had their fair share of injuries. But still, only 3 teams have conceded more and they are all being relegated. Bournemouth have been playing a lot of games with a back 4 and that just haven't suited Ake. I'd rather not.
What on earth are you talking about????? Ake has been immense this season.

Back
Top Bottom