Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perhaps not Lamela when fit, but Aurier and Janssen? Yes, we can definitely find better than them in the Championship.
I don’t think Aurier has been a great buy but still are you really serious about that? Aurier has played for clubs like PSG, has played in the Champions League so he has a lot of experience at the highest level. If you think a Championship player is better than that you need a reality check.

It's weird people dismiss the Championship but then laud Eredivisie, which is a much worse league
Ah yeah there we go, let me know when a Championship club promotes, finishes top 4 and gets into the quarter finals of UCL.

In my opinion if the club's replacing two key first team players with decent Championship players then we're simply not going to challenge for the bigger things. We will never ever challenge for the title or Champions League with Championship prospects. This is a summer where we must spend considerably (or whatever it takes) to replace a few first 11 players. After this is sorted, then we can spend on Championship youngsters and help them develop if we need to.
Harry Wilson from Derby and Grealish are probably the only 2 worth a punt.

... not even sure Wilson would be on, I think he might be a loanee.

** edit ... Wilson is on loan from Liverpool, so that will never happen. **

Last edited:
I don’t think Aurier has been a great buy but still are you really serious about that? Aurier has played for clubs like PSG, has played in the Champions League so he has a lot of experience at the highest level. If you think a Championship player is better than that you need a reality check.

Ah yeah, let me know when a Championship club gets to the quarter finals of UCL.
Just because Aurier played for PSG doesn't make him above that level. Look at the long list of guys who started at least a game for Fergie's MUFC sides, but then slid down the table rapidly into the relegation fodder and Championship clubs. Serge has a lot of potential, but seems to have never been able to realize it. He's had the benefits of the best coaching and training facilities money can buy, and still remains extremely talented, but too inconsistent for a Champion's League-level club.

Can we find someone playing a lower-level club who can be more consistent at doing the things which Pochettino needs from his fullbacks? Undoubtedly. And some of those players might well be in the Championship. They might be in Portugal, or Austria too. The point is that talent can emerge from anywhere, so we can't afford to be picky about the 'pedigree' of a league/club.

Just because Aurier played for PSG doesn't make him above that level. Look at the long list of guys who started at least a game for Fergie's MUFC sides, but then slid down the table rapidly into the relegation fodder and Championship clubs. Serge has a lot of potential, but seems to have never been able to realize it. He's had the benefits of the best coaching and training facilities money can buy, and still remains extremely talented, but too inconsistent for a Champion's League-level club.

Can we find someone playing a lower-level club who can be more consistent at doing the things which Pochettino needs from his fullbacks? Undoubtedly. And some of those players might well be in the Championship. They might be in Portugal, or Austria too. The point is that talent can emerge from anywhere, so we can't afford to be picky about the 'pedigree' of a league/club.

Fair enough, just as long as we don't embarrass ourselves by trawling even lower.... Can you imagine the humiliation of signing from the likes of MK Dons???

Ok I guess you two know better, don’t think I should say that Pochettino himself said that our world class facilities need to be matched by the quality of our team, surely he meant the likes of Grealish and Sessegnon in it. Or maybe he wet dreamt about a signing we made 4 years ago.

Meh... As per Juicy Sushi Juicy Sushi 's reply... You need the reality check.

Ah yeah there we go, let me know when a Championship club promotes, finishes top 4 and gets into the quarter finals of UCL.

What is this nonsense? ....Grielish (eg) or Dele (previously) are somehow meant to single-handedly propell their clubs to being a top 8 club in Europe?

You do realise the game is played by teams of 11, right?

One EPL quality player doesn't not = an EPL quality team.

'Love' the way all sensible thinking & basic understanding flies out of the window once peeps get the horn for transfers.

What is this nonsense? ....Grielish (eg) or Dele (previously) are somehow meant to single-handedly propell their clubs to being a top 8 club in Europe?
Nonsense? Did you see what he has said? He said that Eredivisie is worse than Championship. So that’s why clubs from Championship come up, spends tons of money to strengthen and still go down.

Ok I guess you two know better, not to say that Pochettino himself said that our world class facilities need to be equalled by the quality of our team, surely he meant the likes of Grealish and Sessegnon. Or maybe he wet dreamt about a signing we made 4 years ago.

.....Would that be the same Grealish who eveidently was wanted by Poch last summer?

(I that's supposed to be a smart arse retort, then m'thinks you need may need to re-visit the drawing board.)

If there's an ounce of weight to your argument, then bring it....

However, 'sulking' won't bolster the credibility of your argument.

Yeah ok pal.

A re-cap:

You being appalled at the notion of us signing players from the champo leads you to state that individual players can't be as good as those in the Eredivisie; your argument being that very few Champo TEAMS stay up when promoted.

Good luck with that. :adethumbup:

And you genuinely think ANY team in the Eredivise would finish in the top 4 in the Premier League? I think it's YOU who are mistaken.

They'd be lucky to finish in the top fucking 10.

A re-cap:

You being appalled at the notion of us signing players from the champo leads you to state that individual players can't be as good as those in the Eredivisie; your argument being that very few Champo TEAMS stay up when promoted.

Well yeah, Eredivisie got clubs playing at high level in Europe. I suggested we’d rather take a look at them than at Championship clubs. Championship clubs invest in their squads to have a chance to survive in Premier League. That says how good the quality is in the Championship.
Can there be players of the same quality in the Championship that there are in the Eredivisie? Yes, but the odds are low. Otherwise they would have been bought by better clubs. Or you think a player in the Championship goes under the radar because it’s not a reputable league?

And you genuinely think ANY team in the Eredivise would finish in the top 4 in the Premier League? I think it's YOU who are mistaken.

They'd be lucky to finish in the top fucking 10.
So Ajax is worse than Leicester, Wolves or West Ham? Ok.

I don’t know if any Eredivisie club would get top 4, but I said that as it’s the only way for the Championship clubs to get in UCL.

Let me put it this way, do you think atm Norwich or Leeds would get out of the group stages of UCL, let alone beat Real Madrid and get in the UCL QF?

A re-cap:

Let's not forget that a lot of the championship teams that go down again are the ones that buy close to 11 new players of "PL standard". Bournemouth and Brighton should be good recent examples of being able to stay up with a "championship roster" + a few add-ons and a good coach.

So Ajax is worse than Leicester, Wolves or West Ham? Ok.

I think they'd do well to compete with them in English football. Most of there players would struggle to even get in Leicesters squad for a start.

An absolutely shocking league full of some truly wank teams and even worse footballers. FFS Dusan Tadic is their top goalscorer. 32 fucking goals . He managed 23 in 4 seasons whilst in England.

Well yeah, Eredivisie got clubs playing at high level in Europe. I suggested we’d rather take a look at them than at Championship clubs. Championship clubs invest in their squads to have a chance to survive in Premier League. That says how good the quality is in the Championship.
Can there be players of the same quality in the Championship that there are in the Eredivisie? Yes, but the odds are low. Otherwise they would have been bought by better clubs. Or you think a player in the Championship goes under the radar because it’s not a reputable league?

ALL. OVER. THE. FUCKING. SHOP. :bentley:

Clearly you think Ajax having a few 'hot' players means the entire league is of CL QFinal standard...

Neither the average Champo NOR Eredivisie player would get into our starting squad.... However, exceptions to such a rule could be found in the depths of any league... You catching on yet?

Q. Dele, Mahrez, Kante.... What do they have in common (apart from recently tearing up the EPL in their respective positions)?

Back
Top Bottom