Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cheers for the reply mate nothing I'll disagree with there was just pondering if there was something more than the obvious points behind it because it's hard to not be a focal point when thinking about the club.

Totally with you on Bentaleb. People can debate how worthwhile he is / is it a signing of intent etc but he'd help the home grown quota and like you say he knows Poch and they appear to have made up.

On his talent though it's not like his only use would be to help the HG status. He's an established and arguably key midfielder for a Schalke team that aren't mugs. In a 3 man CM and feeling like he's had a second chance to come home I believe he's excel. He'd offer what we would of wanted from Rabiot without any of the hassle.

Would you feel disappointed if I rephrased my original question to purely young British talent.

Of all the calls I've seen on this forum the one I can't fault the logic of is that every single window we should of been buying cheap young English talent. Hindsight may make some of look like fools later but there's a few young British lads we could of been buying and working on developing in house which may have saved us millions come the summer.

I do appreciate that we did appear to go all in for sancho so there are some signs but it's disturbing the lack of foresight to me.

Glad its not just me who would quite like Bentaleb to return, he's a key player for a decent German side and became a fixture at CM for us, so he'd be a decent acquisition - of course there may be others better around but a lot who are not and we'd not to have to wait a season for him to bed in as others might need. And that to me is a key point, as well as we know what we are getting.

I think we missed a few decent options after Dele, partly because other clubs started looking at the lower leagues big time, Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth included. which meant players like Lookman and Brooks went elsewhere (I understand ManCity wouldn't sell Sancho to a British club - otherwise he'd have been a natural for us) . And I think it would have been good to spend £10m or so each TW to bring in one of those as whilst some won't pay off others will become good squad players if not better - and same argument for bringing through some more of our Academy players (Roles for example) either by loaning out or playing them a bit in first team.

Glad its not just me who would quite like Bentaleb to return, he's a key player for a decent German side and became a fixture at CM for us, so he'd be a decent acquisition - of course there may be others better around but a lot who are not and we'd not to have to wait a season for him to bed in as others might need. And that to me is a key point, as well as we know what we are getting.

I think we missed a few decent options after Dele, partly because other clubs started looking at the lower leagues big time, Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth included. which meant players like Lookman and Brooks went elsewhere (I understand ManCity wouldn't sell Sancho to a British club - otherwise he'd have been a natural for us) . And I think it would have been good to spend £10m or so each TW to bring in one of those as whilst some won't pay off others will become good squad players if not better - and same argument for bringing through some more of our Academy players (Roles for example) either by loaning out or playing them a bit in first team.
Sancho is overrated
You guys love the narrative of the intrepid youngster fucking off to plow his own furrow, but he's not that special

When I see Bentaleb's name on this thread

giphy.gif

Didnt we sell Bentaleb for £18/£20M? If so the buyback would be something like £30M, and hes not worth that, not even in this insane market we have now

This transfer window is huge, and more importantly, it tells the fans where we are at as a club.

We're losing Toby and Christian as it stands. Who replaces them. Cut price cheap and nasty, young hungry and upcoming, or top class? If our transfer window consists of Championship dregs and unknowns from abroad, then don't be surprised in 18 months when we have to replace Kane, Dele and Son as their ambition won't let them fester away at a club going nowhere. If it's young players, then we're still years away from winning things, but hopefully, HOPEFULLY, heading in the right direction. If it's genuine World Class talent, then we feel as though this could be our time, OR, we're making one desperate attempt to win things before Kane etc. go out of their prime.

One thing is for utter certain. If we spot a young talent before anyone else, we pull the trigger there and then. No "monitor" or "keep an eye on" for 18 months while the big boys come in and snap them up.

It's not a great time to be needing a squad overhaul, Bayern, Real, Barca all need renovating and ManC need a Cm and FB's. ManU will also want to refresh CM and RB.

Anybody thinks we can get top quality in early is likely to be disappointed. We are going to have to get in the holding pattern until the sharks have chewed the carcass and hope there's some flesh left dangling.

If the reports that City are about to get a two window ban like the chavs, how do people think it'll effect the market? Will it slow prices down, with the of the handfull of clubs vastly overpaying out of the picture? Or just continue as it were already going?

My fear is that if they both get this summer's window to buy, through appealing the decision, we'll have two clubs with spending power (even if one much more than the other), who'll desperately need to buy now, now, now and every selling club in the World knowing so.

The prices could go bonkers in the window, we need to invest more than we have needed to for many a year.

Yuck. Overpaying for good not great talent is how we become everton. If we want to keep being a top 6 we need to be buying young players with upside not overpaying for "established players" who are just fine. There are so many options out there to settle for these names would be a massive disappointment.

If we lose eriksen we need to buy an ndombele, haivertz, de ligt level player

Back
Top Bottom