Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Too late for that. Too high profile for us now, we can't sign these players. We need/want to be like Dortmund and other clubs that are great at finding these great young players, before they burst onto the scene. Sadly our scouting department is either non-existent or absolute trash

Find great young players?

We obviously scouted Davinson without noticing the outrageous talent of the guy playing beside him.

We didn't notice the promise of a young midfielder breaking through who now is in the £35million bracket

Somehow when doing that scouting mission we missed out on Kasper Dolberg who was having a great season.

Do we trust our scouting team to find us anyone?

Find great young players?

We obviously scouted Davinson without noticing the outrageous talent of the guy playing beside him.

We didn't notice the promise of a young midfielder breaking through who now is in the £35million bracket

Somehow when doing that scouting mission we missed out on Kasper Dolberg who was having a great season.

Do we trust our scouting team to find us anyone?

I assume because de Ligt was 17 years old at the time with 1 years experience to his name of top flight football (in a shit league) and he's always maintained that his development was best served at Ajax.

We've been linked with van de Beek for about 2 years already, so we've clearly noticed him (Unless you meant de Jong, who no one was even raving about until the middle of last season). Wouldn't surprise me though if we're being a bit cautious following the Janssen signing though

I mean, Dolberg has NEVER hit the heights he did from 16/17 and I don't really think he'd suit us anyway. He'd just be gathering dust on the bench like any other one-dimensional striker. We should have been all over Kluivert though for £20,000,000.

He's been wank for Roma - but he's a good talent, rather cheap and probably would have done more than the likes of Lucas and Nkoudou have for us.

do we even have one?

We must have something that brought Sanchez to our attention, got us Dele and Foyth.

But the fact is that we actually must have sent a scout out a few times to watch Ajax and they didn't come back saying "Yeah go for him, but lets look at getting x,y and z before they hit the big time" is scary.

Frnkly I'm in shock De Ligt is still at Ajax without his next tea mlined up.

I assume because de Ligt was 17 years old at the time with 1 years experience to his name of top flight football (in a shit league) and he's always maintained that his development was best served at Ajax.

We've been linked with van de Beek for about 2 years already, so we've clearly noticed him (Unless you meant de Jong, who no one was even raving about until the middle of last season).

I mean, Dolberg has NEVER hit the heights he did from 16/17 and I don't really think he'd suit us anyway. He'd just be gathering dust on the bench like any other one-dimensional striker. We should have been all over Kluivert though for £20,000,000.

De Ligt utterly wiped the floor with Rashford, apparently the big up and coming talent in the EPL. Why wasn't an agreement put in place with Ajax. £15 million and we'll lend him to you for a couple of years until the Toby contract problem expired? I think I said last yer we should punt Toby for any amount that helped us get De Ligt.

If we've noticed De Beek for two years why have we let it get to the stage where other teams are now all over him. Why did we need to "monitor" him for so long.

Dolberg had a poor season and has lost out a bit with the new system Ajax play. Also, unlike Harry Kane, he actually has big competition to get into the squad. There must be 7 or 8 fighting for 3 places. Still, the talent is obviously there.

Bowen at 22 has had one good season, Grealish at 23 has little big time experience and isn't even rated his team's best player (by the manager no less).

Are we simply desperate here to sign someone English or are we just saying we've no ambition and no guts to sign young players and develop them?

Grealish, Bowen and Eze for around £80million screams "Everton" to me. Maybe we've got fed up punching above or weight. Maybe we should enjoy these matches against Man Cty in the CL.

I think the consensus is he's Barcelona bound but they need to sort the financials before they can announce him as they finalised frenkie 1st to eliminate more immediate interest.

That's understandable, he's far too good for us now. How wonderful.

When we had the chance to sign him we apparently fucking "monitored" him.

De Ligt utterly wiped the floor with Rashford, apparently the big up and coming talent in the EPL. Why wasn't an agreement put in place with Ajax. £15 million and we'll lend him to you for a couple of years until the Toby contract problem expired? I think I said last yer we should punt Toby for any amount that helped us get De Ligt.

If we've noticed De Beek for two years why have we let it get to the stage where other teams are now all over him. Why did we need to "monitor" him for so long.

Dolberg had a poor season and has lost out a bit with the new system Ajax play. Also, unlike Harry Kane, he actually has big competition to get into the squad. There must be 7 or 8 fighting for 3 places. Still, the talent is obviously there.

Bowen at 22 has had one good season, Grealish at 23 has little big time experience and isn't even rated his team's best player (by the manager no less).

Are we simply desperate here to sign someone English or are we just saying we've no ambition and no guts to sign young players and develop them?

Grealish, Bowen and Eze for around £80million screams "Everton" to me. Maybe we've got fed up punching above or weight. Maybe we should enjoy these matches against Man Cty in the CL.

Sanchez utterly embarrassed Rashford in that game too and I assume we didn't tie up any deal for him regarding the 'Alderweireld contract problem' because the Alderweireld contract didn't become a problem until half way into Sanchez's first season. Sanchez was the more experienced player and was the more gettable player. Not sure I see too much of an issue. His potential is still ridiculously high, as is Foyths. Centre back isn't a problem for us and won't be for years.

No idea, maybe van de Beek didn't want to leave? Maybe we couldn't shift Dembele in the summer to bring him in? Maybe Davy Klassen joining Everton and being an embarrassment changed our mind on Dutch midfielders playing in the Premier League? Who knows. Who cares?

Well, Bowen has had 2 good seasons actually. Funnily enough van de Beek is the same age and also only had 2 good seasons in his whole career, I assume though as he's foreign, he's better? Despite the Championship being ALOT better of league than the Eredivisie, FFS Bowen doesn't even play the same position. Who gives a shit? Bowen would probably add more to the team than Lucas does

I've already posted facts on how important Grealish is to Villa, so it's probably worth assuming he IS their best player. Then again, some on here seriously believe Eriksen is our best or most important player, so depends what constitutes "best" in the eyes of some.

We've signed young players and developed them every single season under Pochettino (bar this one where we've instead decided to DEVELOP young players instead of signing anyone). So I don't see why that would change now.

To be fair, Bowen is scoring at an incredible rate in a very average team. If we bought him, it would A) up our English quota and B) probably not affect his sell-on price if he didn't work out. Out of all the possible young English talent available, I would most likely take a punt on him. And Chilwell.

To be fair, Bowen is scoring at an incredible rate in a very average team. If we bought him, it would A) up our English quota and B) probably not affect his sell-on price if he didn't work out. Out of all the possible young English talent available, I would most likely take a punt on him. And Chilwell.

Why would Leicester sell Chilwell to us?

Probably got more chance signing Tierney now though, who's a much better talent anyway.

Tierney of Fulham? Never been impressed with what I've seen. As for Chilwell, if he makes it know he's interested and we wave a wad, they don't really have a choice. What can they offer him in terms of progression?

Tierney of Fulham? Never been impressed with what I've seen. As for Chilwell, if he makes it know he's interested and we wave a wad, they don't really have a choice. What can they offer him in terms of progression?

Celtic mate.

I think Leicester would rinse us for Chilwell - you'd be looking at spending £35,000,000 for a left back who can't really defend nor adds too much in terms of attacking output to justify spending that much on.

Sanchez utterly embarrassed Rashford in that game too and I assume we didn't tie up any deal for him regarding the 'Alderweireld contract problem' because the Alderweireld contract didn't become a problem until half way into Sanchez's first season. Sanchez was the more experienced player and was the more gettable player. Not sure I see too much of an issue. His potential is still ridiculously high, as is Foyths. Centre back isn't a problem for us and won't be for years.

No idea, maybe van de Beek didn't want to leave? Maybe we couldn't shift Dembele in the summer to bring him in? Maybe Davy Klassen joining Everton and being an embarrassment changed our mind on Dutch midfielders playing in the Premier League? Who knows. Who cares?

Well, Bowen has had 2 good seasons actually. Funnily enough van de Beek is the same age and also only had 2 good seasons in his whole career, I assume though as he's foreign, he's better? Despite the Championship being ALOT better of league than the Eredivisie... I've already posted facts on how important Grealish is to Villa, so it's probably worth assuming he IS their best player. Then again, some on here seriously believe Eriksen is our best or most important player, so depends what constitutes "best" in the eyes of some.

We've signed young players and developed them every single season under Pochettino (bar this one where we've instead decided to DEVELOP young players instead of signing anyone). So I don't see why that would change now.

Jesus Christ, you're ignoring what Grealish's own manager has said (he said McGinn was the most important and consistent player) and you're comparing a Hull City player (a team that was in big relegation danger last season midtable this) to a team in the QF of the Champions League having just demolished the holders? How many caps does Bowen have and experience against the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern etc?

You must be bi-polar mate, because early in the season you're were all for big names, N'Dombele, De Jong, Diawara and now you're saying Grealish is your choice? Let's hope some English, Yeovil Town yokel doesn't string a couple of decent games together eh?

There's no problem with our English quota if we get rid of the players we plan to. There was a problem this season, Dembele has left, Vorm will be gone, Janssen, N'Koudou and if Eriksen leaves and there are five spaces immediately. Fine, if Bowen is so good, go for it. I don't see where he'll play, but hey, let's go.

Celtic mate.

I think Leicester would rinse us for Chilwell - you'd be looking at spending £35,000,000 for a left back who can't really defend nor adds too much in terms of attacking output to justify spending that much on.
Ahh.. okay, not that familiar with Celtic. when I watch Chilwell I see a young player that could be schooled into a great Poch-influenced wing back. He would cost us a pack though, but the wing back positions are so important for our formation he could be worth it.

Jesus Christ, you're ignoring what Grealish's own manager has said (he said McGinn was the most important and consistent player) and you're comparing a Hull City player (a team that was in big relegation danger last season midtable this) to a team in the QF of the Champions League having just demolished the holders? How many caps does Bowen have and experience against the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern etc?

You must be bi-polar mate, because early in the season you're were all for big names, N'Dombele, De Jong, Diawara and now you're saying Grealish is your choice? Let's hope some English, Yeovil Town yokel doesn't string a couple of decent games together eh?

Feel free to post your source at some point.

No, I'm comparing the LEAGUE quality. Fucking read.

When did I say Grealish was my choice? Find a SINGLE post of mine where I've said I'd prefer Grealish to Ndombele, de Jong or Diawara? I'll be here all year.

I am however fucking realistic and realise we aren't spending £60,000,000 on Ndombele. De Jong is off to Barcelona and Diawara for £35,000,000 could well be on the cards, despite being a COMPLETELY different player to Grealish.

Ta.

Ahh.. okay, not that familiar with Celtic. when I watch Chilwell I see a young player that could be schooled into a great Poch-influenced wing back. He would cost us a pack though, but the wing back positions are so important for our formation he could be worth it.

There's so many better full backs across Europe who are better than Chilwell at pretty much everything. I don't think I've ever been impressed by Chilwell bar an FA Cup game he played against us 3 years ago.

Feel free to post your source at some point.

No, I'm comparing the LEAGUE quality. Fucking read.

When did I say Grealish was my choice? Find a SINGLE post of mine where I've said I'd prefer Grealish to Ndombele, de Jong or Diawara? I'll be here all year.

Ta.

Oh right league quality, of course, that automtically makes International quality and Champions league quality null and void.

You've posted you wanted Grealish since last Summer, have a look back at your own posts and you'll find that.

So there you go, you don't have to be here all year now!

Back
Top Bottom