Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'Home Grown' means a player must have been on the books of a club affiliated with the Football Association for at least three years before the age of 21 (a few refinements but that's the basic test)

So players from overseas (or even those from clubs affiliated to Welsh, Scottish or Irish FA's) need to join Spurs before they are 18 to become home grown. Foyth did not !
Is not possible that he can get an English passport after 5 years in the country? Meaning he will be classed as English (even though he plays for Argentina. Dual nationality) Meaning he will no longer take up a foreign player slot in our squad. Freeing up a position for another foreign player if we want one.

(All knowledge based on football manager games)

Will never happen. £50m for a kid we could have nabbed a year earlier for around £10m? Levy will be pulling his nose hairs out at the thought of such a thing
Inclined to agree, but at the same time there are few home grown players who could come in and actually look like doing the business for us. This issue will only get more pressing the longer we're CL qualifiers.

I would have said the same amount for Richarlison last year was mad, but no matter how shit Everton have been he actually looks worth it for them (and wasn't even home grown).

... Also, and I don't want this to be the case, I could easily see us spending that if we know Eriksen is on the way out.

Inclined to agree, but at the same time there are few home grown players who could come in and actually look like doing the business for us. This issue will only get more pressing the longer we're CL qualifiers.

I would have said the same amount for Richarlison last year was mad, but no matter how shit Everton have been he actually looks worth it for them (and wasn't even home grown).

... Also, and I don't want this to be the case, I could easily see us spending that if we know Eriksen is on the way out.

I'd have him big time. Classy feet, seems strong, very able at the highest level, covers the HG problem areas and well within our wage structure.

I just don't see Levy sanctioning such a deal. Saying that we did spend nearly 10x more on Sanchez than Ajax forked out a year earlier so you never know

Is not possible that he can get an English passport after 5 years in the country? Meaning he will be classed as English (even though he plays for Argentina. Dual nationality) Meaning he will no longer take up a foreign player slot in our squad. Freeing up a position for another foreign player if we want one.

(All knowledge based on football manager games)

No - same reason as why Eric Dier who holds an English passport and plays for England can never be considered as Home Grown as the definition is not of nationality but of being trained by an FA affiliated club for 3 years before the age of 21.

No - same reason as why Eric Dier who holds an English passport and plays for England can never be considered as Home Grown as the definition is not of nationality but of being trained by an FA affiliated club for 3 years before the age of 21.

Indeed. Imagine the carnage and chicanery (globally) if it wasn't that way...

I'd have him big time. Classy feet, seems strong, very able at the highest level, covers the HG problem areas and well within our wage structure.

I just don't see Levy sanctioning such a deal. Saying that we did spend nearly 10x more on Sanchez than Ajax forked out a year earlier so you never know
If our lack of transfer activity this year is, as has been suggested, that Poch is waiting for the right player rather than a lack of money, then this is exactly the kind of deal I'd like to see us commit to and pay the damned money.

I'd ask if the transfer funds would roll over into the upcoming summer but...
:levylol:

It works like that in Spain I believe when it comes to players from outside of the EU. A lot of the South American players in Spain apply for dual citizenship in either Spain or Portugal to be classed as European players despite playing for Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.

I know I read about Coutinho applying for a Portugese one to make room for Malcom

You may be right. What I am referring to is Champions league rules. 8 players have to be English, four of which have to be homegrown.

If I am wrong I hold my hands up. I do believe Foyth can save us a foreign player position if he chooses to take the dual nationality.

I didn't state it correctly in my original post. Sorry.

It works like that in Spain I believe when it comes to players from outside of the EU. A lot of the South American players in Spain apply for dual citizenship in either Spain or Portugal to be classed as European players despite playing for Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay etc.

I know I read about Coutinho applying for a Portugese one to make room for Malcom
Is it the case that that is for the League qualification, not CL ?

Is it the case that that is for the League qualification, not CL ?
League I believe. La Liga has some form of rule that teams only get to have x amount of players from outside of Europe. Probably because of the history of Spanish clubs importing players from South America

We really need to up our wonderkid child snatching game for the under 18s.

the-child-catcher.jpg

Indeed, the 'Qatari' national team is enough fuckery for me (though cheers guys for getting Son back to us early!)

Touche... Sounds dodgy as fuck tho and thoroughly open to abuse.

This is like talking about what you are doing after uni while still in the first year

Let’s give it a rest until April at least! Our needs and wants and what is available could completely change by then

League I believe. La Liga has some form of rule that teams only get to have x amount of players from outside of Europe. Probably because of the history of Spanish clubs importing players from South America
I think all South American players are able to get Spanish/Portuguese passports due to colonisation of those countries.

This is like talking about what you are doing after uni while still in the first year

Let’s give it a rest until April at least! Our needs and wants and what is available could completely change by then

Indeed, plus if we do win the league this year, Poch/Levy will have been thoroughly vindicated and we'd need never sign anyone again.... :freund:

Back
Top Bottom