Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

giphy.gif

I'll take that as a "yes". :sonpoint:

If we're looking for a RB (and I'm sure we are) then OGC Nice's Youcef Atal should be right at the top of the list. Lad has the attacking ability of a top level winger and some of the best defensive stats (tackles, interceptions and pressures) in all of Ligue 1.

Absolutely amazing dribbling ability with elite pace and explosiveness.

Last edited:
If we're looking for a RB (and I'm sure we are) then OGC Nice's Youcef Atal should be right at the top of the list. Lad has the attacking ability of a top level winger and some of the best defensive stats (tackles, interceptions and pressures) in all of Ligue 1.

Absolutely amazing dribbling ability with elite pace and explosiveness.

I really like the look of Achraf Hakimi & Pedro Porro. Both seem to have very promising futures.

Hakimi is a youngster at Real Madrid on loan at Dortmund at the moment, can play both left back and right back.If they move for Eriksen he's the kind of player I'd like to see us insist on a move the other way to make it happen.

Porro looks like he has potential but there's not a lot of clips on YouTube to be fair.

Noussair Mazraoui has caught my eye on the clips I've seen of him. A youngster at Ajax that looks very strong, very promising & loves a fierce shot from range.

Arthur Zagre at PSG I think will become an absolute star at left back. Definitely one we should be keeping tabs on

Hakimi has been outstanding this year. Would be a dream signing. But i doubt we'll be able to afford RM or PSG players. Plus Dortmund reportedly has first refusal rights on Hakimi.

Never heard of Porro. The Ajax kid is an interesting one. Looks very talented. But none of these lads has Atal's combination of attacking and defensive abilty, production and affordability.

Hakimi has been outstanding this year. Would be a dream signing. But i doubt we'll be able to afford RM or PSG players. Plus Dortmund reportedly has first refusal rights on Hakimi.

Never heard of Porro. The Ajax kid is an interesting one. Looks very talented. But none of these lads has Atal's combination of attacking and defensive abilty, production and affordability.

Atal does look very explosive and seems to have great feet by the look of that video. I'll start keeping my eye on him as he's not one I've heard of to date

I really like the look of Achraf Hakimi & Pedro Porro. Both seem to have very promising futures.

Watching the Dortmund v Eintracht game...Hakimi is easily worth what Sanchez cost. Looks just as at home on the left as on the right. Huge talent.

Edit: Good lord the lad is BLAZING fast. Just made Frankfurts da Costa look like he was running in wet concrete. And da Costa is pretty damn fast.

Last edited:
Informative list here...

sa14j7px65e21.png

A couple of significant issues that may arise next season (I'm not 100% certain on player ages though for the cutoff). KWP to move onto our homegrown list and Foyth to go on non-homegrown after the summer?

Some fat to be trimmed from the non-homegrown list one would imagine (Vorm and Janssen come to mind) so on balance we'll probably have at least 2 slots to play around with regarding summer transfers there (and 1 home grown slot with KWP coming in, I'd guess).

That's good news. Identify 2 or 3 players who will really make the difference.

Underlines the importance of not bringing in any old shit in January and getting N'Koudou and Janssen off the books permanently. It's weird because you see rivals line up with barely any English players (that Woolwich-Chelsea game where at one point I don't think there was an Englishman on the pitch) yet they don't seem to be too limited by this. Must stock their reserves with home grown fodder (see why Chelsea bought Danny Drinkwater).

So maybe/definite outs then including Jan window as well

Nkouduo
Janssen
Dembele
Vorm
Llorente
Toby (25 mil release)
Eriksen (if Madrid come calling and he doesn’t sign a new contract)

Based on this we need

GK (home grown ideally)
Another CB
DM if Wanyama can’t get over his long standing fitness issues
CM to help/compete with Sissoko Winks
AM to replace Eriksen
F to cover Kane but also perhaps play along side him, a Martial/Lacazette type.

Big summer awaits.

Informative list here...

sa14j7px65e21.png

A couple of significant issues that may arise next season (I'm not 100% certain on player ages though for the cutoff). KWP to move onto our homegrown list and Foyth to go on non-homegrown after the summer?

Some fat to be trimmed from the non-homegrown list one would imagine (Vorm and Janssen come to mind) so on balance we'll probably have at least 2 slots to play around with regarding summer transfers there (and 1 home grown slot with KWP coming in, I'd guess).

Underlines the importance of not bringing in any old shit in January and getting N'Koudou and Janssen off the books permanently. It's weird because you see rivals line up with barely any English players (that Woolwich-Chelsea game where at one point I don't think there was an Englishman on the pitch) yet they don't seem to be too limited by this. Must stock their reserves with home grown fodder (see why Chelsea bought Danny Drinkwater).

Hand on heart we need to shift 3-4 of the fringe nonHG players. Hindsight tells me if we were taking a good look at David Brooks we really should have brought him in for the money he cost Bournemouth he could have solved so many issues.

P.S, Vincent's middle name is Anna? How's your luck!

Hand on heart we need to shift 3-4 of the fringe nonHG players. Hindsight tells me if we were taking a good look at David Brooks we really should have brought him in for the money he cost Bournemouth he could have solved so many issues.

P.S, Vincent's middle name is Anna? How's your luck!
I think our modus operandi means Brooks is gone. We need to buy the next Brooks (who might well be Jack Clarke from Leeds).

Problem is that if Leeds do go up, there may be a Sessegnon-style situation where he doesn't want to leave just yet and they are desperate not to lose him in a survival-at-all-costs season.

I would love Brooks though. Bournemouth would want a hefty fee but would surely be willing to deal at the right price. If he wants to break into the England team then there are few better places than Spurs.

I think our modus operandi means Brooks is gone. We need to buy the next Brooks (who might well be Jack Clarke from Leeds).

Problem is that if Leeds do go up, there may be a Sessegnon-style situation where he doesn't want to leave just yet and they are desperate not to lose him in a survival-at-all-costs season.

I would love Brooks though. Bournemouth would want a hefty fee but would surely be willing to deal at the right price. If he wants to break into the England team then there are few better places than Spurs.

I think he's class & would offer more than most players that find themselves on our bench.

Ps he's a Welshy pal

Informative list here...

sa14j7px65e21.png

The table deals with the squad under PL rules rather than CL rules so on day 1 of next season (if we did nothing in the next transfer window) :

1. As you suspect Juan Foyth needs to be added to the overseas trained player list (as he does under CL rules this season, he's not counted as an u21 as he has not been at Spurs long enough) and Kyle Walker-Peters needs to be added to Home grown.

2. N'Koudou is on loan, so needs to be added to the Overseas trained list.

3. Note that Davies is considered as an Overseas trained player for CL, although home grown under PL rules. So IMO its better to run the squad under CL rules as you know we will be fine for both CL and PL.

So with those adjustments under CL rules we end up with 19 overseas trained players (and we can only have 17 in the squad !).

And we still have 6 home grown players (ie 2 empty slots), unless Poch wants to include any of our Academy youngsters who were born before 1 January 1998 - which would include Luke Amos who Poch seems keen on as well as Joshua Onomah who Poch doesn't seem so keen on.

So as you correctly say we need to revisit the overseas trained players we have - and just to get down to 17 we need to sell 2 - and sell any players who are not at the highest standard and buy to upgrade our overseas trained players.

I'd suggest we need to consider offers for :
- Janssen
- N'Koudou
- Vorm (but he's out of contract, so just need not to renew it
- Llorente (out of contract at end of year but we have an option to extend by one year)
- Aurier - possibly the least good of the overseas trained players
- Sissoko (as Aurier despite his resurgence)
- Wanyama (unless he shows later this season he's back to 15/16 form)

So if we sold all 7 (unlikely) we would be down to 12 overseas trained players with 5 spaces, but I think we'd only sell Sissoko, Aurier and Llorente once we had ensured we had their replacements sorted - no point in selling if we cannot upgrade !

After that we need to react if Alderweireld declines to sign a new contract and/or is bought for the £25m release clause, Vertonghen if we do not sign a new contract as otherwise it runs out in June 2020, and Eriksen if he has not signed a new contract as that also runs out in June 2020.

We may wish to consider whether we wish to upgrade Trippier and Rose, but its difficult to find better quality home grown players for reasonable prices, so suspect they will stay.

But ignoring the Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen issues we need (as a minimum) :

3rd GK (homegrown - unless Poch is happy with Whiteman and Austin)
CM (in effect a Sissoko upgrade, I'm assuming Wanyam is replaced by Skipp, and we may also have Amos in the squad)
AM/Striker

RB may be a problem if KWP doesn't get much playing time this season as he'll be too inexperienced and Trippier is not good enough defensively against top 6 opposition. So we may want to buy another RB.

The table deals with the squad under PL rules rather than CL rules so on day 1 of next season (if we did nothing in the next transfer window) :

1. As you suspect Juan Foyth needs to be added to the overseas trained player list (as he does under CL rules this season, he's not counted as an u21 as he has not been at Spurs long enough) and Kyle Walker-Peters needs to be added to Home grown.

2. N'Koudou is on loan, so needs to be added to the Overseas trained list.

3. Note that Davies is considered as an Overseas trained player for CL, although home grown under PL rules. So IMO its better to run the squad under CL rules as you know we will be fine for both CL and PL.

So with those adjustments under CL rules we end up with 19 overseas trained players (and we can only have 17 in the squad !).

And we still have 6 home grown players (ie 2 empty slots), unless Poch wants to include any of our Academy youngsters who were born before 1 January 1998 - which would include Luke Amos who Poch seems keen on as well as Joshua Onomah who Poch doesn't seem so keen on.

So as you correctly say we need to revisit the overseas trained players we have - and just to get down to 17 we need to sell 2 - and sell any players who are not at the highest standard and buy to upgrade our overseas trained players.

I'd suggest we need to consider offers for :
- Janssen
- N'Koudou
- Vorm (but he's out of contract, so just need not to renew it
- Llorente (out of contract at end of year but we have an option to extend by one year)
- Aurier - possibly the least good of the overseas trained players
- Sissoko (as Aurier despite his resurgence)
- Wanyama (unless he shows later this season he's back to 15/16 form)

So if we sold all 7 (unlikely) we would be down to 12 overseas trained players with 5 spaces, but I think we'd only sell Sissoko, Aurier and Llorente once we had ensured we had their replacements sorted - no point in selling if we cannot upgrade !

After that we need to react if Alderweireld declines to sign a new contract and/or is bought for the £25m release clause, Vertonghen if we do not sign a new contract as otherwise it runs out in June 2020, and Eriksen if he has not signed a new contract as that also runs out in June 2020.

We may wish to consider whether we wish to upgrade Trippier and Rose, but its difficult to find better quality home grown players for reasonable prices, so suspect they will stay.

But ignoring the Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen issues we need (as a minimum) :

3rd GK (homegrown - unless Poch is happy with Whiteman and Austin)
CM (in effect a Sissoko upgrade, I'm assuming Wanyam is replaced by Skipp, and we may also have Amos in the squad)
AM/Striker

RB may be a problem if KWP doesn't get much playing time this season as he'll be too inexperienced and Trippier is not good enough defensively against top 6 opposition. So we may want to buy another RB.

Can Foyth become HG in the future ?

AAHHHHhhhh Fuck it.

Thanks for nothing.
:adethumbup:

'Home Grown' means a player must have been on the books of a club affiliated with the Football Association for at least three years before the age of 21 (a few refinements but that's the basic test)

So players from overseas (or even those from clubs affiliated to Welsh, Scottish or Irish FA's) need to join Spurs before they are 18 to become home grown. Foyth did not !

'Home Grown' means a player must have been on the books of a club affiliated with the Football Association for at least three years before the age of 21 (a few refinements but that's the basic test)

So players from overseas (or even those from clubs affiliated to Welsh, Scottish or Irish FA's) need to join Spurs before they are 18 to become home grown. Foyth did not !
Thanks
I was hoping (depending on when his birthday fell) that he could just sneak in.
Obvs not.

Back
Top Bottom