Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their press has become more targeted. Look at the Barca home leg. It wasn't just a general gegenpress. It was literally boxing in Messi and limiting the space that he has to work with.

I have only ever seen them do that in that one game, saw a little bit of them towards the end of the season (hoping they would lose) and they didn't play like that. The energy in that game was impressive but that isn't how their game is generally imo.

Haven't seen him play. Is this a back-up plan for Sessegnon, or would we want/take both?
IMO after a few months under Poch, Sessegnon will be getting many minutes.
Clarke is a speedy right winger who does not play full games for Leeds so is more of a long term Foyth-type potential buy. Been suggested here he could become a RWB.

To be honest Zaha is an andros on steroids why do we want him when we have son and lucas 2 better baller just because he is English he is shit period.
Townsend is a runner - kick the ball into space and run with it & shoot.
Zaha is a runner but more a dribbler - run into 3 players take them on and drive for the box.

If anything Lucas is more Townsend on steroids than Zaha.

Out of the 3 Zaha is the better dribbler - probably not player (Son is).

On the Zaha story line. Everybody seems to be talking of the 100m as if it's a factual thing, and prior to that doing so of the 60m when that was thrown around.

Have these asking prices actually been confirmed by any sort of reliable source? I can recall Hodgson saying a few times, that they're "not looking to sell", which he, well, would say given his job title at his current employers. Also, not looking to isn't the same is unavailble or not for sale. But I can't recall anything other than tabloids trying to one up each going 60m, then 100m asking price with no real grounds.

I maintain my previous stance that he'd be a great signing, but not at silly money, which would be south of not 100m but also well so of 60m.

Everyone seems keen to ridicule CP's valuation and Zaha in the process, but did I miss the part where there's actually legitimate cause to believe he wouldn't be available for an, imo, reasonable 30m-ish plus performance bonuses???

On the Zaha story line. Everybody seems to be talking of the 100m as if it's a factual thing, and prior to that doing so of the 60m when that was thrown around.

Have these asking prices actually been confirmed by any sort of reliable source? I can recall Hodgson saying a few times, that they're "not looking to sell", which he, well, would say given his job title at his current employers. Also, not looking to isn't the same is unavailble or not for sale. But I can't recall anything other than tabloids trying to one up each going 60m, then 100m asking price with no real grounds.

I maintain my previous stance that he'd be a great signing, but not at silly money, which would be south of not 100m but also well so of 60m.

Everyone seems keen to ridicule CP's valuation and Zaha in the process, but did I miss the part where there's actually legitimate cause to believe he wouldn't be available for an, imo, reasonable 30m-ish plus performance bonuses???

He’s got four years left on his contract. Palace can set any price they want. They’re under no pressure whatsoever.

If he wanted to move, he shouldn’t have signed last Summer.

He’s got four years left on his contract. Palace can set any price they want. They’re under no pressure whatsoever.

If he wanted to move, he shouldn’t have signed last Summer.

I realize that, but in reality a middle of the pack club setting "any price they want" leaves as much chance of a Berahino situation as an outcome where they continue having their most valuable asset performing at his peak. No matter when the contract was signed and how many years it is.

Also, still doesn't explain why these figures are taken as gospel when anything else grabbed out of thin air and published by those tinpot journalists are taken with a big old cup of salt.

I realize that, but in reality a middle of the pack club setting "any price they want" leaves as much chance of a Berahino situation as an outcome where they continue having their most valuable asset performing at his peak. No matter when the contract was signed and how many years it is.

Also, still doesn't explain why these figures are taken as gospel when anything else grabbed out of thin air and published by those tinpot journalists are taken with a big old cup of salt.

You’re right, Zaha could sulk and become an annoyance, but my basic point is there is absolutely zero leverage that we can apply.

I imagine that the £100 million is a bit silly and he’d probably accept £70 or so. But we’d still be getting our pants pulled down.

Ideally, Sissoko should not be a starter for us next season, in my humble opinion.

He would be an amazing player to have on the bench as an impact player, to add power and drive to the midfield, but we shouldn't be relying on him to start games.
Yeah, but the same should be said for Winks though folks keep putting him in potential starting lineups. Winks is going to be 24(?) next season and even taking into account his smattering of very good performances he has not played well enough to say he is an unquestioned starter. Beyond that he has not stayed healthy for any season. Folks will say an injruy here or an injury there has been flukey but it matters not as he has still been unavailable due to injury. And I really, really like Winks.

But these are the hard decision that Poch wanted when he fought against a DOF. And unfortunately he hasn't shown the guts to carry out just yet. The mitigating circumstances are the stadium/money etc etc. But I hope this is what he wants to talk to DL about this summer, the hard choices that need to be made.

If Poch or Daniel is not trying to fill his position with someone both better and with a better injury record then it is poor squad planning. He will get hurt next season and be out an extended period of time. The evidence is on my side on that one and there is no evidence to support the contrary. As such, recruitment should not be for backup. Players should be recruited 'on top' of other players ie they should be seen to be potentially better than the player currently manning the position. If you don't do that then how do you move forward.

It's crazy on here. Folks are planning 'wish lists' trying to get players just like the players they're replacing like "we need a Dembele replacement". No we don't. We need MFers that can do the job that Dembele did but more and varied. It's like saying "I'm divorced but my new girl is just like my old one but this is one is forever".

But this goes for Lamela too and Dier (not so much because of injury but not good enough in the MF). I hope these are the "painful" things Poch was alluding to.

Last edited:

Without zaha palace face relegation, they would be stupid to value him any less than £100 million .....

Not sure there is such thing....

...But you can use other markers and activity in the market to decide whether you think the numbers floating about are credible in context.

e.g. Siggy - Swansea > Everton £50m

Thanks to the TV money hike, it takes big money to prize key players from even the smaller clubs now.... (Net effect no-one's really any 'richer' cos we're all just gonna pay more). Also add on a little HGrown premium.

If he was gonna be sold for significantly less than the mooted £60-70m last summer; he'd likely already be Spurs by now IMO (if indeed our alleged interest is/was real).... Now Zaha has signed a new bumper deal it stands to reason it'll take even more dosh to prize their talisman away.

I'd be keen at the 30m mark you mentioned, but that doesn't even buy you Ryan Sessengon these days who in a loose respect is the like the unproven, unfinished version of Zaha.

If Eriksen is out, we should go balls deep for Ødegaard. The Norwegian media has hailed him since he tore apart the premier division at 15. He had a few bad years after going to Real Madrid, as some of us expected he would, but apparently he's been brilliant this season in Vitesse. Huge potential as a playmaker and at set piece delivery.

If Eriksen is out, we should go balls deep for Ødegaard. The Norwegian media has hailed him since he tore apart the premier division at 15. He had a few bad years after going to Real Madrid, as some of us expected he would, but apparently he's been brilliant this season in Vitesse. Huge potential as a playmaker and at set piece delivery.

If your surname starts with phase. I'm sold.

Back
Top Bottom