Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've just seen that since Grealish got injured, Aston Villa have only won 2 games in their last 12 matches he's been out.

He had a slow start but in his last 6 apprearances for them before getting his knock he contributed towards 5 goals (2 goals, 3 assists)

As a squad player, being homegrown and with them looking likely to miss out on promotion I really do think we'll go back to the table with them in the summer

Not sure its a given, but its quite likely given the shortages we have in home grown players - and as we have seen this season, one or two extra players are certainly handy if we run into injury problems.

And there are very few home grown players who might be available who would be good enough right now, of which Grealish is one.

Whilst we now have 19 overseas trained players, of whom we can only register 17 in CL squad, so we need to shed 3 to bring in one more overseas trained player, shed 4 to bring in 2 new overseas trained players etc, the home grown position shows lots of vacancies :

Club Trained - Kane, Winks, Rose, one vacancy
Other FA Affiliated Club Trained - Dele, Trippier, 2 vacancies.

So on that basis we currently have a maximum 22 man squad (including 3 GK's), which is borderline ok, and with a few injuries............its squeaky bum time

Of course we also have Walker-Peters (but only a dozen appearances in 4 seasons since his debut) and Skipp (about 8 appearances this season), but Poch has yet to treat them as full squad players.

With TV revenue distributed relatively evenly, its hard to see any PL club selling a HG player at less than say £40m - £50m to us (and the better ones at more like double that), so the clubs selling to us at 'more sensible prices' but even that might mean £20m + are the clubs relegated from PL at end of this season or Championship clubs with one or more decent players such as Aston Villa (Grealish), Hull (Bowen), Birmingham (Adams) and.....after that I'm struggling.

The only options beside those are to buy a youngster probably from a Championshiip club (eg Norwich) for the future.......or ask Poch to bring through at least one of our Academy trained players each season for the next few years, something which Poch and most PL managers find very difficult.

So yes, Grealish is still a realistic possibility to chase, but a limited number of alternative HG players. But to increase the current squad - not an alternative to Eriksen for example

Not sure its a given, but its quite likely given the shortages we have in home grown players - and as we have seen this season, one or two extra players are certainly handy if we run into injury problems.

And there are very few home grown players who might be available who would be good enough right now, of which Grealish is one.

Whilst we now have 19 overseas trained players, of whom we can only register 17 in CL squad, so we need to shed 3 to bring in one more overseas trained player, shed 4 to bring in 2 new overseas trained players etc, the home grown position shows lots of vacancies :

Club Trained - Kane, Winks, Rose, one vacancy
Other FA Affiliated Club Trained - Dele, Trippier, 2 vacancies.

So on that basis we currently have a maximum 22 man squad (including 3 GK's), which is borderline ok, and with a few injuries............its squeaky bum time

Of course we also have Walker-Peters (but only a dozen appearances in 4 seasons since his debut) and Skipp (about 8 appearances this season), but Poch has yet to treat them as full squad players.

With TV revenue distributed relatively evenly, its hard to see any PL club selling a HG player at less than say £40m - £50m to us (and the better ones at more like double that), so the clubs selling to us at 'more sensible prices' but even that might mean £20m + are the clubs relegated from PL at end of this season or Championship clubs with one or more decent players such as Aston Villa (Grealish), Hull (Bowen), Birmingham (Adams) and.....after that I'm struggling.

The only options beside those are to buy a youngster probably from a Championshiip club (eg Norwich) for the future.......or ask Poch to bring through at least one of our Academy trained players each season for the next few years, something which Poch and most PL managers find very difficult.

So yes, Grealish is still a realistic possibility to chase, but a limited number of alternative HG players. But to increase the current squad - not an alternative to Eriksen for example

If Villa don't get promoted I'd honestly be happy to see us go back in for him. It all depends on if the manager wants him however I find the whole Poch didn't sanction the move thing a little false. If Poch didn't want him why did we spend months haggling over his price etc?

For a mouldable, talented prospect that could go onto very good things with a year or two of working with Pochettino I struggle to see why fans want to pass on him. The bottom line is, as you've pointed out the club really needs to find HG solutions and with a premium price on HG heads due to this we would be looking at smashing our transfer record on most, bar a 3rd choice keeper just to appease HG numbers.

The ones I see us maybe looking at are Sessegnon, Grealish, Clarke, Bowen, Wan-Bissaka, one of the HG keepers at Burnley who's disgruntled perhaps, just to appease HG numbers and needs.

I've also just seen that Aaron Mooy signed as a youth scholar for Bolton back in 2006. If and when Huddersfield go down we could do a lot worse than getting him in if he falls under HG rules. 28, peak years and a very underrated player to bolster squad numbers

FourFourTwo's 100 Best Bargains in Premier League History

Long time until the next Spurs game so some light relief - '100 best bargains in PL history'

Naturally we have a few transfers (in no order) - Lloris, Lennon, Carrick, Alderweireld, Eriksen, Dier, Keane, Klinsmann and Dele - but I'd suggest Vertonghen and Berbatov for example could easily be on that list, and Son seems like a steal now.

9% of the supposed bargains in a league that's had 49 teams participate so far is pretty good going, even more so when you consider the ones you've highlighted that the list has overlooked.

Interesting to see that of our 12 you've listed 11 have all come during the ENIC years.

Bale has to be in this list as well surely! Not many players in world football that have helped propel a club like he did and made them a handsome profit at the same time as well.

9% of the supposed bargains in a league that's had 49 teams participate so far is pretty good going, even more so when you consider the ones you've highlighted that the list has overlooked.

Interesting to see that of our 12 you've listed 11 have all come during the ENIC years. Bale has to be in this list as well surely!

Not many players in world football that have helped propel a club like he did and made them a handsome profit at the same time as well.

Might have missed him, but think its an omission ! Only point against is that he cost (I think) £10m which was probably a fair price at the time - although obviously we sold him for zillions. But since they've included £34m Salah, no reason to exclude Bale !

How much do you think Mitrovic is worth then? Seeing as he signed for Fulham around 5 months earlier for £22m I think £27m is more than enough for his abilities.

Not that I think we have bid that but £27m isn't chump change for a player deemed worth £22m summer 2018

He is an international striker, he scores PL goals, for a team fighting relegation, in this market he is worth at least twice that. Crazy I know and I can't stand how high fees are nowadays for all players but that's just the way it is. Fulham signed him for 22 mill because he was bombed out by Benitez who could no longer stand him. They just wanted rid of him and still got 22 mill for him!! His value has gone up this season. If Levy had signed him for 22 mill and 6 months later another club came in for him and offered 27 mill do you think he would have even considered that offer?:levylol:

My point is that if it's true that we made such a bid for Mitrovic then we will struggle to sign players because we are not being realistic in this market.

He is an international striker, he scores PL goals, for a team fighting relegation, in this market he is worth at least twice that. Crazy I know and I can't stand how high fees are nowadays for all players but that's just the way it is. Fulham signed him for 22 mill because he was bombed out by Benitez who could no longer stand him. They just wanted rid of him and still got 22 mill for him!! His value has gone up this season. If Levy had signed him for 22 mill and 6 months later another club came in for him and offered 27 mill do you think he would have even considered that offer?:levylol:

My point is that if it's true that we made such a bid for Mitrovic then we will struggle to sign players because we are not being realistic in this market.

And if Fulham get relegated they will need to get rid of their highest earners, so his sale price will be at a discount to market,

And the only question is where Mitrovic wants to go to,

So a 'money back' deal may or may not be realistic.

You could have a point, fair play.

I've just checked his value on the CIES Football observatory that has his down as roughly 50m Euros, I've also had a check on transfermkt at his stats and saw that in his last 20 Premier League matches he's not scored in 17 of those games. Big gaps even if he has 10 to his name this season. He's an interesting one to keep an eye on but I'd prefer us to give Llorente a 1 year extension, hope that Parrott comes through and use that kind of money elsewhere

You could have a point, fair play.

I've just checked his value on the CIES Football observatory that has his down as roughly 50m Euros, I've also had a check on transfermkt at his stats and saw that in his last 20 Premier League matches he's not scored in 17 of those games. Big gaps even if he has 10 to his name this season. He's an interesting one to keep an eye on but I'd prefer us to give Llorente a 1 year extension, hope that Parrott comes through and use that kind of money elsewhere

Agree about Llorente and Parrott. I don't think we need a pure centre forward like Mitrovic. Harry will play most games and i prefer we look for another Son type who can play a couple of positions, is quick and contributes goals. I like Nicolas Pepe at Lille but again he will probably cost too much for us

Agree about Llorente and Parrott. I don't think we need a pure centre forward like Mitrovic. Harry will play most games and i prefer we look for another Son type who can play a couple of positions, is quick and contributes goals. I like Nicolas Pepe at Lille but again he will probably cost too much for us

If I had my way I'd try and find another intelligent footballer to bounce off of Eriksen. A speedy WF would be great, I just think having another genuine brain on the pitch would do wonders for the team. I know he's getting old but Mata was incredible for Man Uniteds first goal tonight. A little shimmy, left foot, right foot pass, got it back gave it up top and ran around the back to drag Rudiger into no mans land. A player that does that will help massively when teams drop deep against us which, more often than not gives us long winded issues.

If we can find a crafty little grafter I think we'd have teams chasing their shadows

If I had my way I'd try and find another intelligent footballer to bounce off of Eriksen. A speedy WF would be great, I just think having another genuine brain on the pitch would do wonders for the team. I know he's getting old but Mata was incredible for Man Uniteds first goal tonight. A little shimmy, left foot, right foot pass, got it back gave it up top and ran around the back to drag Rudiger into no mans land. A player that does that will help massively when teams drop deep against us which, more often than not gives us long winded issues.

If we can find a crafty little grafter I think we'd have teams chasing their shadows
Hello

35 mil release clause as well

Back
Top Bottom