Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Llorente doesn't sign and Janssen possibly leaving we are fucked for a no. 2 striker. We have no links to any striker that i am aware of. ..

Of course we'll use Sonny and Moura if needed but i'd really like to see a natural born striker in the role.

If we are the big club we say we are then i think we need more than one natural striker on the books.

I am aware i overused the word striker.

The fact that he is quick is a bit of a misnomer. He never had pace, but has a good eye for a pass and finds the open areas.

Not sure about the lack of pace claim: Telegraph report on his Champo season listed pace as a main quality and called him "absolutely rapid": Who is Ryan Sessegnon and what makes him so good?

And a report in the Sun a few months into last season had him clocked as the 3rd fasted in the prem to that point: The 10 fastest players in the Premier League so far this season including Ryan Sessegnon and Romelu Lukaku

The article posted by Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 seems to say the same; seems reasonable to assume that he's quick.

Looks as though we'll find out soon enough...

At the moment our squad and first XI is looking good in attack and midfield. If Eriksen leaves, we'd need Lo Celso as a replacement urgently.
It also looks like Alder is staying, so CB situation looking good too. Both Ald and Vert have experience which could be valuable to help Foyth and Sanchez reach the next level.

Agree with the sentiments from most about the full back situation, that is most worrying. Foyth doesn't have the pace and doesn't cross, he's got good potential as a ball playing CB, but not a RB. We'll have to hope Aurier shows consistency and stops making dumb mistakes. Rose was much better than Davies last season, and Sessegnon would be a big risk at LB.
Selling Trippier and Rose does make sense to some extent, if we had replacements lined up...

I am really concerned about Foyth being our first choice RB, it seems like a huge risk that could end up biting us in the arse.

With him and Davies we will seriously lack pace in both of those positions and our formation really relies on getting them pushed up high, unless of course Poch is going to change the way we play, which is of course a possibility.

I dunno, I still think we need a RB (and a LB if Rose leaves) some competition for Eriksen (LO Celso) and a different option from the bench for Kane when he is having a stinker.

I do think however that if we fail to sign anybody else we will still make top 4, no doubt about that.

The question is though, will we win a trophy with just the signing of N'dombele? Will it be enough to overturn a 20+ point gap from last season in the PL?

Especially when you consider we will still have the same weaknesses from the bench, no players that can really make an impact when coming on, I dunno, seems unlikely to me that we could win a trophy without addressing that issue.

When Poch first arrived there was no doubt we used Rose and Walkers speed to attack.

But those days are long gone - it's been 2 years since Walker left and neither Trippier not Aurier are/were fast on the right whilst Rose form/ injuries have meant he has not played as much with Davies often playing at LB.

So truth is that we have struggled to get the ball upfield fast with our AMs often dropping deep to find the ball.

Imo Ndombele is being brought in to both dribble forward the ball and use his passing abilities so AMs don't need to drop back, and he will often be partnered by Winks or Lo Celso and if we change to a 433 which I think is possible we may find Eriksen in the 3 CM positions as well. So we should get the ball forward faster than I the last 2 seasons.

Of course that presupposes that Lo Celso signs and Eriksen stays - both of which look increasingly likely.

Despite many fans believing that signing a RB is priority,, there have been few/no links and the same is true at LB so imo Poch has decided to focus on strengthening nmidfield positions - and it is that as much as anything which suggests to me that we will see a 433 formation being used a lot in this coming season.

And FBs will be an area for next summer - although Ryan Sessegnon may have been coached into being a LB by then.

But as I have said before we need to wait until closer to end of TW to see how the squad is coming together - and we may also get some clues from the preseason games

Not sure about the lack of pace claim: Telegraph report on his Champo season listed pace as a main quality and called him "absolutely rapid": Who is Ryan Sessegnon and what makes him so good?

And a report in the Sun a few months into last season had him clocked as the 3rd fasted in the prem to that point: The 10 fastest players in the Premier League so far this season including Ryan Sessegnon and Romelu Lukaku

The article posted by Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 seems to say the same; seems reasonable to assume that he's quick.

I found this part of the link pretty interesting to read:

Probably the main area of Sessegnon’s game that suffered the most after Fulham’s promotion to the Premier League was his involvement in the game. In the 2018/19 season, the youngster averaged 35.3 touches per game compared to 59.2 in the season before in the Championship. A decrement of 23.9 touches per game clearly denotes the Fulham winger’s struggles to make a considerable impact.

Nonetheless, Sessegnon’s involvement in the game is not entirely dependent just on him. Fulham on average had 8% less ball possession in the 2017/18 season compared to the 2018/19 season. This could have made a negative impact on Sessegnon’s influence on the game although still not as drastic as it was.

Sessegnon played in a team that saw a 16% swing on average in possession going from top Championship team to worst Premier League team. (Am I working that out right?)

He basically went from being in a team that was the spanker to the one being spanked and because of that saw far less of the ball. This would definitely flip if he was playing for one of the top 6 in the league so last season is probably very harsh to judge him on.

Last edited:
But you can’t sell
I only buy
ed0.gif

I am really concerned about Foyth being our first choice RB, it seems like a huge risk that could end up biting us in the arse.

With him and Davies we will seriously lack pace in both of those positions and our formation really relies on getting them pushed up high, unless of course Poch is going to change the way we play, which is of course a possibility.

I dunno, I still think we need a RB (and a LB if Rose leaves) some competition for Eriksen (LO Celso) and a different option from the bench for Kane when he is having a stinker.

I do think however that if we fail to sign anybody else we will still make top 4, no doubt about that.

The question is though, will we win a trophy with just the signing of N'dombele? Will it be enough to overturn a 20+ point gap from last season in the PL?

Especially when you consider we will still have the same weaknesses from the bench, no players that can really make an impact when coming on, I dunno, seems unlikely to me that we could win a trophy without addressing that issue.
Foyth played RB in the national team recently and shined, they obviously
have the confidence to play him there and one might suspect that Poch had some input in their decision making processes for him?

I found this part of the link pretty interesting to read:

Probably the main area of Sessegnon’s game that suffered the most after Fulham’s promotion to the Premier League was his involvement in the game. In the 2018/19 season, the youngster averaged 35.3 touches per game compared to 59.2 in the season before in the Championship. A decrement of 23.9 touches per game clearly denotes the Fulham winger’s struggles to make a considerable impact.

Nonetheless, Sessegnon’s involvement in the game is not entirely dependent just on him. Fulham on average had 8% less ball possession in the 2017/18 season compared to the 2018/19 season. This could have made a negative impact on Sessegnon’s influence on the game although still not as drastic as it was.

Sessegnon played in a team that saw a 16% swing on average in possession going from top Championship team to worst Premier League team. (Am I working that out right?)

He basically went from being in a team that was the spammer to the one being spanked and because of that saw far less of the ball. This would definitely flip if he was playing for one of the top 6 in the league so last season is probably very harsh to judge him on.

Very right. I just don't get why people would use this season - which by the way still saw him as Fulham's most productive assister with 6 - which was also as many or more than all our players bar Eriksen - to beat him over the head. Fulham were a shambolic mess who went from dominating teams with progressive brand of football the previous season, to signing a fuck load of players and changing to one of the most pragmatic managers in a much tougher league. For an 18you kid he still managed to produce something amongst all the chaos. Put him back in a dominant, well coached progressive team, with good players around him and reasonable chance he'll up his product.

He's got something no one in our forward bunch have right now and that's a combination of some pace and composure - even if it's still a bit raw and needs developing - Moura created the grand total of zero assists all season, because he's all head down and whiz.

Last edited:
Foyth played RB in the national team recently and shined, they obviously
have the confidence to play him there and one might suspect that Poch had some input in their decision making processes for him?

He didn't shine though. he did nothing orgasmic, barely got forward, created next to nothing, got booked stupidly, and in one game stood and watched whilst the ball went past him and the opponent scored (can't remember the game - might have even been the semi).

I do not understand the clamour to put Foyth at RB ahead of KWP. Foyth makes more mistakes than KWP, is nowhere near as good offensively and hasn't spent the last ten years being a RB.

I've seen people say about Foyth "he's a baller, let him make mistakes and learn" well, how about we do that with KWP?

I'm happy to see Foyth get some time at CB, but we have a talented young RB that's been waiting for a long time for a fair crack, why put an equally green and error prone CB ahead of him?

I don't care if he turns up on one leg, if he's rated by Poch then i am all in. I mean who gives a fuck what any two bit hack who's never played the game thinks?

He didn't shine though. he did nothing orgasmic, barely got forward, created next to nothing, got booked stupidly, and in one game stood and watched whilst the ball went past him and the opponent scored (can't remember the game - might have even been the semi).

I do not understand the clamour to put Foyth at RB ahead of KWP. Foyth makes more mistakes than KWP, is nowhere near as good offensively and hasn't spent the last ten years being a RB.

I've seen people say about Foyth "he's a baller, let him make mistakes and learn" well, how about we do that with KWP?

I'm happy to see Foyth get some time at CB, but we have a talented young RB that's been waiting for a long time for a fair crack, why put an equally green and error prone CB ahead of him?
Do you think that KWP is physically hard enough to play at RB week in week out?

Back
Top Bottom