Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Getting money in the pot is fine and well. But Poch has pretty much just now stated once again that he wants a 25 man squad. Lo Celso or not, if our squad gets cut by a player, a key one at that, from the 25 Poch planned the season on, with no chance to replace other than Onomah, Edwards or some 16 year old.

If it's due to not doing the clause right, then we've shit the bed.
We never have a proper 25 man squad. Neither do most teams. Usually 22-23 over 21 plus some under 21’s

While I absolutely agree that -
- selling Lamela is not priority by any means
- moving on Jannsen and N'Koudou is more important

I would not be against selling him at all. He should be a squad player meaning he should be dependable when we need to call him up. Last season (and number of seasons before as well!) he absolutely was not. When in Mar, Apt, May we needed someone to fill the place of injured / banned players... He was inured.

What is the value of him for the team like this?

I have defended him for so many times but now I don't see many real arguments what is the benefit of keeping him around anymore.

In itself it's a valid point, and in a summer of less upheaval, I would agree, despite how much I loved what Lamela was.

Last season we effectively had a squad of 24, from January only 23. Count Skipp (or KWP) in, if you fancy to make up the numbers of 25 when we started last season. That's one needed to be added.

Vorm, Trippier, Llorente, and likely Rose gone. That's 5 new faces.

Everyone agrees N'Koudou and Janssen should and will leave. That's 7. And where we're hitting pretty close to breaking point of what we should be doing in one window.

Uncertainty surrounding Toby and Eriksen. That's potentially 9!!!

And then people want to throw around Lamela, as the point in case here, or Wanyama as done. In some cases even Dier or Sissoko. Taking us to potentially 10+ new players out of a 25 man squad. Well feck me :pochwtf:

People, rightfully, take the piss out of Fulham's approach last season, and Villa's this coming one. Meanwhile willing to throw any players, they don't fancy right at this minute, under the bus and out the club, without any sort of bigger picture idea anywhere near their head.

We never have a proper 25 man squad. Neither do most teams. Usually 22-23 over 21 plus some under 21’s

What are you basing that on?

We very much do and apart the obvious of needing numbers for rotation and in case of injuries, we do so because those are also the ideal numbers for meaningful training. Replace Eriksen with Lo Celso stepping into the first 11, fine in all likelyhood. Replace him - after the English TW closes - with someone well sub-par as "the 25th man" in training and there's a knock on effect.

I suggest Poch thought otherwise.... Wouldn't those opportunities have dried up rather than continued?

Why deploy him in the CL when he could face Brighton instead? (Rhetorical.. I've not checked the fixture list)
That's debatable. You say why play him in the Champions League rather than Brighton, I'd argue that it was more to do with the fact Aurier he has always confusingly played well in Champions League games but looks like a pub player against mid table Premier League teams. So you'd have to question whether that was down to trust as you say, or just convenience and the obvious fact Trippier couldn't start every game. Aurier also played a few PL games in a row last season sure, but only when Trippier was injured. Not once over the past two years has Pochettino shown any real obvious trust in Aurier when both he and Trippier have both been fit.

Main point really is, based on what you've seen over the past 2 seasons, would you really be okay with having Aurier and KWP as our two options at right back? Don't get me wrong, I thought Trippier was an average player, but he was probably the best of a bad bunch, so why sell him if we're not going to replace with better, once again unnecessarily weakening the team?

Independent printed this yesterday :
United have lined up Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen as a possible replacement should Pogba leave the club this summer.

Ed Woodward has long been interested in signing the Spurs midfielder, who has one year left on his contract, and his desire to leave the north London club could tempt United to approach their Premier League rivals with a formal bid.

He wouldn't go there would he ??...surely he wouldn't regard that shithole as 'a step up' ?

Main point really is, based on what you've seen over the past 2 seasons, would you really be okay with having Aurier and KWP as our two options at right back? Don't get me wrong, I thought Trippier was an average player, but he was probably the best of a bad bunch, so why sell him if we're not going to replace with better, once again unnecessarily weakening the team?

If Poch wants to spend his transfer kitty on Lo Celso and Sessegnon and patch together the fullback situation, so be it, I feel like he's earned my trust. I share your trepidation, but ultimately you back your manager and let the chips fall where they may.

If this actually proves to be the case(which is looking quite likely) it's just plain stupid. Foyth is not a right back, and certainly not one that would suit the way we play.

It's too early to say that with confidence about a 21-year-old.

Independent printed this yesterday :
United have lined up Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen as a possible replacement should Pogba leave the club this summer.

Ed Woodward has long been interested in signing the Spurs midfielder, who has one year left on his contract, and his desire to leave the north London club could tempt United to approach their Premier League rivals with a formal bid.

He wouldn't go there would he ??...surely he wouldn't regard that shithole as 'a step up' ?

tenor.gif

If this actually proves to be the case(which is looking quite likely) it's just plain stupid. Foyth is not a right back, and certainly not one that would suit the way we play.

Not last season no where our fullbacks where having to cover all the ground. We go back to a couple seasons ago where they where allowed to just stay in the oppo half in 95% of games, then why not we know he can cross and has good technical ability and if he has Los Celso and Ndombele doing the hard yard behind him might be ok.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom