Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First rule for any player is never, ever call them the "New ........ " or words to that effect. Guaranteed kiss of death.

See Goran Bunjevčević, the Balkan Beckenbauer
See Milenko Ačimovič, the new Trevor Brooking
See Souleymane Coulibay, the Baby Drogba
And now unfortunately it seems, see Marcus Edwards, the Mini Messi

First rule for any player is never, ever call them the "New ........ " or words to that effect. Guaranteed kiss of death.

That's only because unless the 'new' player achieves more than the 'old' player they never lose the tag - Messi was the new Maradona.....but he's just been Messi since he was about 18/19.

I've got some fucking great memories of Koulibally on FM2010. Guy was a fucking monster.

Shit in real life though. As you were.

Big fan of Patrick Cutrone at AC Milan. Can’t imagine they’d want to let him go, but he could be a great signing.

284871.jpg

Provided nobody leaves then there is no requirement for a 'starting XI' player .... disrupting the team for what would be a very marginal improvement is pointless .... is Bale that much better than Son?

This is a great window for adding 'future' talent ... sure if a Moura offer is out there take it, but they're a bit like rockin' horse shit in the summer window ....

What we need is the next Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Trippier players who can become part of the squad, maybe not next year, and maybe not even the year after, but all in good time ....

Who are these players? no idea, let's hope our scouts are doing their stuff ......
Agree with you on purchase of youth.
Why replace Son with an inferior version of the same player?
Maybe you have not followed my earlier comment. I am reluctant to replace Son with Bale

*blasphemy alert*....I know we are a top side, I reckon we’re top 10 in the Europe no problem...but we need to win the fkn league or get to a CL final for it to be official as it were. Otherwise we risk becoming Brazil 82’

Probably not a popular view but I think there is some truth in the endless “Spurs need to win something” boreathon. It’s why Walker left.
Agree to a large extent... If we want to win the title being a top side is not longer a target. We must aim to be better than Man C over 38 games.

Provided nobody leaves then there is no requirement for a 'starting XI' player .... disrupting the team for what would be a very marginal improvement is pointless .... is Bale that much better than Son?

This is a great window for adding 'future' talent ... sure if a Moura offer is out there take it, but they're a bit like rockin' horse shit in the summer window ....

What we need is the next Dele, Eriksen, Dier, Trippier players who can become part of the squad, maybe not next year, and maybe not even the year after, but all in good time ....

Who are these players? no idea, let's hope our scouts are doing their stuff ......
Whilst I agree in looking towards bringing in the next stars rather than throw money away at established players likely to decline and/or not work in the PL (oh, hi there, Arsene. How are you?) - none of the players you mentioned, outside Trippier, fit into the category you’re using them to support. Eriksen, Dier, and Dele all made 30+ appearances in their debut season with 85%+ of those coming in the starting XI.

Only Trippier was brought along slowly and that wasn’t really because the club had plans to groom him. He was brought in as a cheap and steady backup for Walker so we could move on from Naughton. And, despite the PR about Trippier being great and Poch loving him, the club’s singular focus last summer was finding and signing a young wingback to develop that was believed to be Walker’s true heir.

Look, I don’t dislike Trippier and he’s done a very good job and come along better than anyone really believed he would. But this revisionist campaign to recast him as a central figure to the club’s plans? Nah. He was brought in as a solid backup, and played well enough that the club saw him as a serviceable stopgap. Whether Aurier is the next to make RB his or not, we’ll see - but Tripps is a substitute teacher.

Whilst I agree in looking towards bringing in the next stars rather than throw money away at established players likely to decline and/or not work in the PL (oh, hi there, Arsene. How are you?) - none of the players you mentioned, outside Trippier, fit into the category you’re using them to support. Eriksen, Dier, and Dele all made 30+ appearances in their debut season with 85%+ of those coming in the starting XI.

Only Trippier was brought along slowly and that wasn’t really because the club had plans to groom him. He was brought in as a cheap and steady backup for Walker so we could move on from Naughton. And, despite the PR about Trippier being great and Poch loving him, the club’s singular focus last summer was finding and signing a young wingback to develop that was believed to be Walker’s true heir.

Look, I don’t dislike Trippier and he’s done a very good job and come along better than anyone really believed he would. But this revisionist campaign to recast him as a central figure to the club’s plans? Nah. He was brought in as a solid backup, and played well enough that the club saw him as a serviceable stopgap. Whether Aurier is the next to make RB his or not, we’ll see - but Tripps is a substitute teacher.

You're right of course but then that was a different time ... this summer a 10m signing would have to replace Kane, Dele, Ereksen, Dyer et al. ... back when they signed we had, well let's just say lesser players, I not sure any of the four mentioned were actually bought as automatic 'starters' certainly not Dele or Dyer ... just the way it turned out in their first season ...

Anyone we buy now, unless we spend XXXm will be bought as a back up, a potential future starter, doesn't mean they can't force their way into the starting line up .... but it will be a lot harder than it was three years ago ....

You're right of course but then that was a different time ... this summer a 10m signing would have to replace Kane, Dele, Ereksen, Dyer et al. ... back when they signed we had, well let's just say lesser players, I not sure any of the four mentioned were actually bought as automatic 'starters' certainly not Dele or Dyer ... just the way it turned out in their first season ...

Anyone we buy now, unless we spend XXXm will be bought as a back up, a potential future starter, doesn't mean they can't force their way into the starting line up .... but it will be a lot harder than it was three years ago ....
Hence all the most we will have to do what we have been doing for the past three years or even earlier as we can't compete for ready product . We buy promising youth at relatively cheaper price. We hit jackpot on Walker , Rose, Alli , Dier . We took miss on others like Nkoudou, Vincent , and many more too. But overall we did well.

Hence all the most we will have to do what we have been doing for the past three years or even earlier as we can't compete for ready product . We buy promising youth at relatively cheaper price. We hit jackpot on Walker , Rose, Alli , Dier . We took miss on others like Nkoudou, Vincent , and many more too. But overall we did well.
See the pattern there? Young British players have been successful, and the foreign ones not so much.

Luka probably our best success although Eriksen could eclipse that, not much of a punt when we got him, he has always been highly rated.

I agree, and that’s why I think you’ve seen a change in our buying profile. Still working within our means but targeting players like Aurier and Moura who are more established than Eriksen/Dele/Dier but offer good value. Wanyama fits in that category, as does Sissoko.

A lot of our younger players struggle to get on the pitch now (Foyth, Winks, etc.). It’s just a different period for the club.

Back
Top Bottom