Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think he is focusing on his job - his next one. Probably sure that he's on borrowed time now that AV have a bit of cash. Tired of managing shit clubs. Fully aware he'll never land anything high-profile. Eyeing up those juicy media jobs where you just sit on your arse and spew shite a couple days a week.
Jobs for the boys.

‘Jack Grealish would be a Tottenham player if they did their business early’

Not surprising and possibly true but definitely pathetic on our part.

We will not cross the line until something changes.

We cannot treat other clubs with a lack of respect and expect them to play ball.

Is Grealish that good? Who knows but clearly we wanted him.

3rd, 2nd and 3rd again. You would think we had some leverage and most importantly a plan.

So frustrating.

Last edited:

We cannot treat other clubs with a lack of respect and expect them to play ball.

3rd, 2nd and 3rd again. You would think we had some leverage and most importantly a plan.

So frustrating.

I think it was more a case of, early in the window he wasn't at the top of our list, just a player we were keeping on the boil if options 1,2,3 etc didn't come through. They didn't, but by then the new owners came in and stuck a new price on him, that exceeded our valuation considerably, so then we left it completely.

Thank fuck.

So frustrating.

Meh, as good as fish n chip wrapper now, but to me, it feels disingenuous of Bruce to suggest that it didn't suit them to drag their heels in hope that a potential buy-out came good; knowing at the same that if they didn't then it's still wise for them to play hardball for premium fee anyway given:

- The size of the fines they faced
- JG was the prime, of only a few, liquidisable assets.
- Another suitor coming out of the woodwork in the meantime, likely pushes the eventual selling price up further.

They fucked him and now, if he's not here come Feb 1st, he's missed the boat IMO.

Maybe but I genuinely think the guy has pptential and fits our or should I say Pochettino's model.

He certainly played well when he played against us when on loan at Swansea. It was actually only after his England debut that he fell away.

The shame for us is that we have been so poor in finding a striker to push or replace Kane.

We all know why this proves difficult; it's been the same for many a window now. However, Kane pushes himself so we're fine in the latter respect.

Huge pinch of salt required:

I like it- I hope we did bid for him. Even if it was "firmly rejected", it at least would have shaken Abraham a bit and made him wonder how long it will take for him to see the light of day in that Chelsea lineup over there. He would be a great fit in the Poch system too, although god knows he'll never become a Spurs player so long as he remains at Chelsea, which, speaking of, fuck them.

We all know why this proves difficult; it's been the same for many a window now. However, Kane pushes himself so we're fine in the latter respect.

But he and more importantly we need capable cover.

It's a high risk policy and with Son away and Pochettino not having confidence in Llorente or Janssen, an inexplicable position to be in for a club our size.

Meh, as good as fish n chip wrapper now, but to me, it feels disingenuous of Bruce to suggest that it didn't suit them to drag their heels in hope that a potential buy-out came good; knowing at the same that if they didn't then it's still wise for them to play hardball for premium fee anyway given:

- The size of the fines they faced
- JG was the prime, of only a few, liquidisable assets.
- Another suitor coming out of the woodwork in the meantime, likely pushes the eventual selling price up further.

They fucked him and now, if he's not here come Feb 1st, he's missed the boat IMO.

Mate, on this we agree.

It is the right of every club to hold their players to the contracts none are forced to sign.

It is then for players to decide whether they want to honour those contracts in the event of bids. In Grealish's case he has to ask himself what challenge he wants. If he signs a reported new contract offer then we know the answer.

But in January and if we want the bloke still, we have to be decisive.

But he and more importantly we need capable cover.

It's a high risk policy and with Son away and Pochettino not having confidence in Llorente or Janssen, an inexplicable position to be in for a club our size.

Who/what do you suggest then?

As already noted, we know the factors/difficulties.

I think he is focusing on his job - his next one. Probably sure that he's on borrowed time now that AV have a bit of cash. Tired of managing shit clubs. Fully aware he'll never land anything high-profile. Eyeing up those juicy media jobs where you just sit on your arse and spew shite a couple days a week.

Either that or he's gearing up to re-launch his glittering literary career...

Who/what do you suggest then?

As already noted, we know the factors/difficulties.

It is difficult but not beyond us. It can't be.

As for players that is a matter for Pochettino and the scouts.

Llorente made sense. Older, best days behind him but adds experience and a viable ophion. Hasn't worked as yet. Not sure why he is still at the club.

Janssen was the other type. Young, willing to learn. Maybe an option but also a partner to Kane on occasion. Hasn't worked.

But I would go for similar in terms of age range but probably pacy (Abrahams does look decent) or older (not sure who).

We just need quality options for Kane and whilst Son is adequate, at present he ain't around and as I say that is a dangerous game to play or not as the case would be!.

Last edited:
Interesting view.

I think we are approaching the time when young players will stop wasting their careers.

Should be a new thread.
Its already starting to happen - they are going abroad, with the fact we have a very good group of players coming through and (currently German) teams realising that they are a great investment for the future (even if they are only OK English teams will overpay to bring them back) I expect more and more to go abroad rather than sign to sit on the bench /perpetual loans.

Also helps the players as there is no real fee needing to be paid to the club who trained them, in fact it may encourage clubs to play the players and give them a clear path to the team rather than lose them for peanuts and not the £MM from a tribunal.

Back
Top Bottom