Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that having a super expensive squad with all the top talent is the only way Pep knows how to win things. But even then, he has to hope these players gel and like playing together as I don't think he has half the skill at building a team ethic that other managers have, including our very own Poch.

A squad of mercanary strangers who have to gel in 4 weeks with a manager who makes everything over complicated, it won't be easy

They had their time with peak Hart, Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero spine, they are the reason they won titles, superb team when all on form, been desperately trying to recreate it since

But look at City and Chelsea, we should do what they are doing if we want to win stuff

Allegedly
Care to link to any post suggesting we should attempt to mirror what City and Chelsea are doing?

See also: People who post stuff like "So you're suggesting we sign Messi and Ronaldo are you???" when no one has ever suggested we sign anyone like that

Care to link to any post suggesting we should attempt to mirror what City and Chelsea are doing?

See also: People who post stuff like "So you're suggesting we sign Messi and Ronaldo are you???" when no one has ever suggested we sign anyone like that

I'm pretty sure MindBlown just did

But look at City and Chelsea, we should do what they are doing if we want to win stuff

Allegedly

Rose 1M
Toby 17M
Jan 14M
Tripper 3.5M

City with a 300M pound back line.

And there are Spurs fans who claim being proud of our policy is a fake moral high ground?

What the fuck! Are there people who actually feel City are building a team the right way?? It's a fucking joke and Pep is a wanker.

I'm going to laugh when it all goes to shit for them again.

And?

What's your point? I'd rather we were champo than be a City or Chelsea fan.

City have spent 1.5 BILLION and won one more title than Leicester

Cracking

It's not though is it really.

"Spend big" to win is a bit of a new mantra.

Well by that theory spending less than the others is not spending big enough to beat them is it...?

Or is spending big yet still 400M less than City enough? Makes little sense..
You said yesterday you didn't care what others thought. Then all this comes out the following morning. Try and enjoy the weekend and accept the forum for what it is.

Sorry there was me thinking the thread was littered with people saying the only way to win things was to spend big.

Clearly that didn't happen

Fair enough.

I do think City have won remarkably little considering their outlay.

Correct and for now that is the saving grave for the Premier Leagie.

It is what Leicester did the season before last and what we have done in the last 2 seasons that prevents or keeps at bay the public criticism.

But for how long can we or to a lesser extent Liverpool challenge competitively?

Even today Conte is talking of the need to sign more players.

The simple and irrefutable truth is that we have to wait for the buying of the recognised or perceived top quality players before we make our move

Then we have to hope those players that remain are good enough, can be coached to a good enough level and then stay loyal. A lot of pre-conditions.

The Premier League is in a strange place and within that so are we.

You said yesterday you didn't care what others thought. Then all this comes out the following morning. Try and enjoy the weekend and accept the forum for what it is.
I don't care in the sense that I need to change anyone's mind.

I care enough to take an interest and debate it.

"The forum"? From what I can see, you are in a little group with Scott, The Dane and Mindblown, so nice going there.

Last edited:
He didn't. He was just pointing out that their policy of spending billions had yielded a certain amount of success.
Yes, and now why would he do that?

Could it be to show that spending like those clubs have yielded success. Seeing as he posted it on the back of me slating their spending.....

Ridiculous notion that people feel we need to spend big to compete with Chelsea and City for silverware, yet then try and claim they don't think we need to spend as much.

Makes sense doesn't it.

City spend 400M and we need to also spend big to keep up.

But we can do that by spending....? How much John?

How much LESS spending than City is good enough? 100M less?

350M less

What is "big" enough to compete, if the argument is now "no one said do what City are doing"..?

Please give me a figure on how much less money we need to spend to still compete with City on the basis we need to spend big to compete.

Sooooo we can compete by not spending big in other words.

You've just gone full kit wanker, congrats

Last edited:
Yes, and now why would he do that?

Could it be to show that spending like those clubs have yielded success. Seeing as he posted it on the back of me slating their spending.....

Ridiculous notion that people feel we need to spend big to compete with Chelsea and City for silverware, yet then try and claim they don't think we need to spend as much.

Makes sense doesn't it.

City spend 400M and we need to also spend big to keep up.

But we can do that by spending....? How much John?

How much LESS spending than City is good enough? 100M less?

350M less

What is "big" enough to compete, if the argument is now "no one said do what City are doing"..?

Please give me a figure on how much less money we need to spend to still compete with City on the basis we need to spend big to compete.

Sooooo we can compete by not spending big in other words.

You've just gone full kit wanker, congrats

I was just thinking the exact same thing. What the fuck does 'spend big' actually mean? In relation to what? Big for us or big for City? If we attempt to go toe to toe with them financially we'll come off worse every time. What we're doing at the moment is the only way we can compete - better coaching, shrewder team building, and with a core group of first class players who know each other's game.

Sorry there was me thinking the thread was littered with people saying the only way to win things was to spend big.

Clearly that didn't happen
1) Identify viable targets for areas we're weak in
2) Swiftly negotiate a price that all parties can live with
3) Incorporate the player(s) into the squad in good time to get up to speed with our system and required fitness levels.

That's all.

Again, show me someone arguing we should be in for Neymar

1) Identify viable targets for areas we're weak in
2) Swiftly negotiate a price that all parties can live with
3) Incorporate the player(s) into the squad in good time to get up to speed with our system and required fitness levels.

That's all.

Again, show me someone arguing we should be in for Neymar
How ironic. If you want specifics show me where I said Neymar.

See my post above, it's all very clear.

If you think we need to spend big to compete with City and Chelsea then how can you think spending LESS than them will be enough to compete.

You lot have lost it

I was just thinking the exact same thing. What the fuck does 'spend big' actually mean? In relation to what? Big for us or big for City? If we attempt to go toe to toe with them financially we'll come off worse every time. What we're doing at the moment is the only way we can complete - better coaching, shrewder team building, and with a core group of first class players who know each other's game.
Exactly Joe, this figure BIG.

Notice how they keep it nice and aloof so moving the goalposts is easier.....

Now spending big is apparently not what City and Chelsea do. Our need to spend big is somehow different.

It's now, spend big, but less than City.....big enough......less, but enough......more than we have....? ..70M last summer, so clearly not big enough.

Maybe 100M then? Because "No one said 200M".

So.....we need to spend big, maybe 1 third of City's back line.

Apparently that will do it. But not 70M.....then Levy is a tight cunt.

Last edited:
Correct and for now that is the saving grave for the Premier Leagie.

It is what Leicester did the season before last and what we have done in the last 2 seasons that prevents or keeps at bay the public criticism.

But for how long can we or to a lesser extent Liverpool challenge competitively?

Even today Conte is talking of the need to sign more players.

The simple and irrefutable truth is that we have to wait for the buying of the recognised or perceived top quality players before we make our move

Then we have to hope those players that remain are good enough, can be coached to a good enough level and then stay loyal. A lot of pre-conditions.

The Premier League is in a strange place and within that so are we.

I think the perception of needing to buy these 'top quality' players is somewhat ignorant of the fact that we already have them.

I don't think people recognise that, as they weren't mega-money buys.

Kane is quite undoubtedly one of the best forwards in the world. Any doubt about that is dwindling as each season goes.

Alderweireld is one of the best CBs in the league. Alli can be inconsistent, but is still one of the best forward-minded midfielders out there. Son is proving to be one of the top attacking midfielders in the league. Eriksen showed this morning that he is, on his day (as his consistency has been questionable), a fantastic player.

If we gave away all our players, then had to re-sign them, how much would it cost in today's market? Based on the values/rumoured rejected offers, I'd say

Lloris - £25m-£40m (the latter if he was in the PL, former if in France)
Rose - £60m+
Trippier - Certainly £20m+
Alderwiereld - £60m+
Vertonghen - £25m+
Dier - £60m+
Wanyama - £40m+
Dembele - £30m
Winks - £30m+
Alli - £100m+
Son - £50m+
Eriksen - £70m+
Sissoko - £100k
Kane - £120m+

All speculative, but our first 11 would probably cost £700m+ to re-purchase in today's economy.

So, the question is this: Do we need to buy these so-called world-class players to compete, or just recognise that we don't need to, because we already have them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom