Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone dying for real news...

Who: JJetset
When: 16th July
Where: Twitter

Italy is nice this time of year

I shit you not... this is it.

None of these fuckwits really want to commit, so to be safe rather than narrow it down to a players initials, he states the possible fucking Country he may come from.

Arizona is arse crack sweatingingly hot this time of year............

Judging Barkley with the words "Largest signing ever" makes little sense.

The market is not stagnant or stable. It grows.

We sold Modric for £30 million in 2012. By todays standards, that's an incredible bargain and hard to even look at. Yet back then we thought £30 million was great money.

Today Siggurdson is worth £50mil+. Back in 2014 we swapped Siggy for Davies.

My point here is that players who were worth £10-20 million in 2014 are now worth £50 million because the amount of money has vastly increased.

2016-17 League Winner Total = £150 million

2014-15 League Winner Total = £95m

2011-12 League Winner Total = £60m

People don't seem to understand that in 5 years the amount of money earned has almost tripled - as have player prices.

Rather than see it as "Record signing" you could equally see it as us spending £10 mil, if it was 2013. Is Barkley worth £10m? Obviously. Yet proportionally, that's all that £30 million is now, due to the amount of money flooding into the Premier League.

You can look all over Europe, but unless a miracle happens like Dele, you're not going to get an attacking midfielder for less than £20m.

Example? Bernardo Silva.

2015-16. 44 games, 7 goals, 3 assists. Quite a mediocre season
2016-17. 58 games, 11 goals, 12 assists. Very good, but not world class.

Transfer paid after 1 good season? £45mil + £17 mil add ons = £62million for a player with a singular good season.

Please stop saying "Oh, but £30million, record signing" without perspective. £30 million is nothing these days.

Sunderland got relegated, yet managed to sell their keeper for £30mil.
Ajax sold Davy Klaassen for £25 mil.
Liverpool bought Salah for £45 mil
Bourthmouth bought Nathan Fucking Ake for £20mil.

£20-30 million is peanuts.
Yikes! Talk about a long walk for a short drink of water...

I'm saying that I don't want Barkley at 40-50million 2017 £s... I understand inflation, my point was that I'd be less concerned about his flaws if we were getting him for under £20mil now(a bargain as you say).

For £45mil who would you rather get Bernardo Silva or Ross Barkley?

I'm saying that I don't want Barkley at 40-50million 2017 £s... I understand inflation, my point was that I'd be less concerned about his flaws if we were getting him for under £20mil now(a bargain as you say).

Neither, we'd never spend that much with Levy in charge. He'd laugh and simply find someone else.

BBC:
Middlesbrough have broken their transfer record to sign striker Britt Assombalonga from Nottingham Forest for a fee believed to be around £14m.

We wont' be picking up a PL, English International for chump change. We have a bench warmer at thirty million already.

Koeman is not stupid.

He or the club is stupid enough to let Barkley's contract get down to months, that more than anything would dictate his fee

Exactly. He has less than a year left. No way is 40-50 the fee.

Van Persie went to United for less than 25m quid in the last year of his deal. If we were to go for Barkley, then I'd say 25m if the most we should go for. Or like others have said, exchange for Sissokko and a few quid. ;)

Debt with a new stadium could be awful for the club, if we went completely gung ho.

Woolwich underestimated the costs of their stadium and had to take out new loans mid-construction and then sell off star players for years to fund it.

I always want the club to be smart with its money, but at the same time we need a fair degree of ambition here. Transfers don't always guarantee success, but they are a sign of intent. The signals we've given the past few transfer windows are "We're content with this, we need to save money". I think this is a shame, we could have won the title two years running with a bit more ambition.
I do agree but let's be honest, its Levy. He knows what he is doing financially, I am sure he wouldn't spend way too much on players and risk the wellbeing of the club.

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler claims to have been informed that AFC Bournemouth striker Josh King could sign for Tottenham this summer, in his column for the Mirror.

EDIT - do not read his tragic column - it's beyond bad

I think Barkley has 'Levy signing' written all over it. Last year of contract (reduced fee), English international (sell on has a premium attached), young with potential to improve and possibly not playing at his ceiling yet (ability to increase asset value for resale profit).

I don't know how clubs account for players as assets, but I suspect buying Barkley (or similar) has an immediate uplift as his worth on a 5 years contract will be significantly higher than what is probably going to be paid for him.

I think Barkley has 'Levy signing' written all over it. Last year of contract (reduced fee), English international (sell on has a premium attached), young with potential to improve and possibly not playing at his ceiling yet (ability to increase asset value for resale profit).

I don't know how clubs account for players as assets, but I suspect buying Barkley (or similar) has an immediate uplift as his worth on a 5 years contract will be significantly higher than what is probably going to be paid for him.

oh and last minute of transfer window.

forgot to put that in!

I think Barkley is worth £25m max, Everton quoted asking for £30m. Knowing Levy he won't pay a penny over £20m.
He has only 11 months contract, do you want to live in Liverpool or London?
When I think Barkley I remember Zaha. I know they play different positions. Who is/would have been better signing! That's another thread.

For everyone dying for real news...

Who: JJetset
When: 16th July
Where: Twitter

Italy is nice this time of year

I shit you not... this is it.

Italy - Florence - Florence & the machine - you've got the love - Candi Station - train station - In Moscow, stray dogs have learned to commute from the suburbs to the city by train They reach the city, scavenge for food, then catch the train home in the evening. - dog in Italian is Cane - Kane ... I'm scaring myself now .

:kanehand:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom