Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this what Tottenham should be about. Bring in talents at a reasonable price, develop, cultivate and sell them ridiculously expensive.

I don't see another way to compete with the oilbillionarefootballfunsideprojectowners.

Problem is we don't have the half developed Rose replacement talent yet.

No. Always try to keep your best players.

You want to sell the Townsend's, Livermoore's, Mason's to balance the books.

Isn't this what Tottenham should be about. Bring in talents at a reasonable price, develop, cultivate and sell them ridiculously expensive.

I don't see another way to compete with the oilbillionarefootballfunsideprojectowners.

Problem is we don't have the half developed Rose replacement talent yet.
No it isn't what Tottenham should be about. It's what Tottenham became for quite a while. A team that sold its elite players for large sums of money, when those elite players decided to down tools to get their move.

This Tottenham is an entirely different beast. Bristling with talent all through the team. Dare I say, genuinely capable of challenging for honours.
It would break my heart to see this team being systematically disbanded on the basis of profit.

Fuck united & the rest of them. I wouldn't be selling any player that didn't want to leave.

Get the feeling that Rose absolutely bums Poch... Can see it in body language and interviews (seem to remember there was one where Rose admitted that he was the biggest 'teachers pet' in the squad.

I reckon Rose appreciates that Poch has made him twice the player he was before, and that he'll only continue to improve under his guidance. So until Poch goes I don't see any reason why Rose would.

Get the feeling that Rose absolutely bums Poch... Can see it in body language and interviews (seem to remember there was one where Rose admitted that he was the biggest 'teachers pet' in the squad.

I reckon Rose appreciates that Poch has made him twice the player he was before, and that he'll only continue to improve under his guidance. So until Poch goes I don't see any reason why Rose would.
So you are saying Poch is going to Man City (ITK?)

No it isn't what Tottenham should be about. It's what Tottenham became for quite a while. A team that sold its elite players for large sums of money, when those elite players decided to down tools to get their move.

This Tottenham is an entirely different beast. Bristling with talent all through the team. Dare I say, genuinely capable of challenging for honours.
It would break my heart to see this team being systematically disbanded on the basis of profit.

Fuck united & the rest of them. I wouldn't be selling any player that didn't want to leave.
Totally agree with the sentiment but the bottom line is if a player wants out and someone's offering to double their wages then there's very little we can do except for get the best deal possible, which Levy always does.

Of course we shouldn't sell a player that doesn't want to leave regardless of how much money is offered but when have we ever done that anyway?

Berba, Modric and Bale all forced moves.

Saying that I feel more confident than I ever have before that almost all of our players would want to stay at this point in time. Poch is the key to that and our future rests in his hands imo.

Totally agree with the sentiment but the bottom line is if a player wants out and someone's offering to double their wages then there's very little we can do except for get the best deal possible, which Levy always does.

Of course we shouldn't sell a player that doesn't want to leave regardless of how much money is offered but when have we ever done that anyway?

Saying that I feel more confident than I ever have before that almost all of our players would want to stay at this point in time. Poch is the key to that and our future rests in his hands imo.
That's what I was saying mate. Bale was the last player who agitated for a move.

I don't see the current crop (who are, individually, surrounded by teammates of great ability) going for the money. The team is so close to something very special & whilst we need to start winning silverware soon, I don't see this lot queuing up with their transfer requests in the near future.
That will change if they don't start winning medals- & let's face it- their abilities individually & collectively deserve honours.

If anyone wants to go for the lure of coin or silverware elsewhere, then let them go.

I just don't really see that happening though unless we keep falling short.

We put a stop to selling within the league though - the 'Special Relationship' was heavily criticised, but obviously the right thing to do as it kept Modric and Bale away from our rivals and has allowed us to steadily move up the league.

Last edited:
This might sounds crazy, but should we look into Sturridge? I could see him leaving Liverpool this summer. His injury history is risky but it also drives his price down.

This might sounds crazy, but should we look into Sturridge? I could see him leaving Liverpool this summer. His injury history is risky but it also drives his price down.
Isn't the problem with Sturridge that he can't/won't press? Not to mention you're only getting him for like half of the season, and that's if you're lucky.

There's more chance of Poch signing me than of him signing Sturidge. He's the antithesis of a Poch signing. Lazy, selfish, stroppy attitude. And the guys all washed up now. His pace is gone and so have his hamstrings. Liverpool will loan him out for the duration of his contract as no one else will pay him what he's on there.

Physically broken, so absolutely useless. A real shame, as he could have been a really great striker, but he simply cannot stay fit enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom