Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
City fans are debating whether or not they want Walker, with some suggesting a better fit would be Seamus Coleman.

You know, the one with a double broken leg that's 29 in October.

Footballing Sages, that lot.

Why do they care if it costs £60 mil to get Walker, it's not their money, it's a guy from the Middle East who owns a bunch of slaves and for some reason he is allowed to own a U.K. Football team. It's like they honestly think they generate the cash.

I'll shut up about this now..... but this is exactly the kind of thing I mean about United fans.... here's a quote from RedCafe

Of all the players available in world football right now, Kane is the one who was born to play and win trophies for Manchester United. We should literally break the bank for him: in this instance I don't care what he would cost!

What a fucking cunt. If there's a good player out there, he's meant for UNITED!

Fucking deluded bells

I'll shut up about this now..... but this is exactly the kind of thing I mean about United fans.... here's a quote from RedCafe

Of all the players available in world football right now, Kane is the one who was born to play and win trophies for Manchester United. We should literally break the bank for him: in this instance I don't care what he would cost!

What a fucking cunt. If there's a good player out there, he's meant for UNITED!

Fucking deluded bells

hopefully they'll do a Liverpool and never win the league again and become a parody of themselves.

Based on the players we're linked with it seems like we're desperate for CMs. Can not understand why we would be, with Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Winks, Onomah, (Eriksen, Sissoko, Alli) ready to dominate all other midfields out there.

Based on the players we're linked with it seems like we're desperate for CMs. Can not understand why we would be, with Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Winks, Onomah, (Eriksen, Sissoko, Alli) ready to dominate all other midfields out there.

Yeh strange we need pace and power, a wide forward of top quality. That's what we desperately lack, we need our own Sanchez, Hazard, Coutinho to complete the first 11. Just one transfer of that sort would be better than 4 ok players.

Yeh strange we need pace and power, a wide forward of top quality. That's what we desperately lack, we need our own Sanchez, Hazard, Coutinho to complete the first 11. Just one transfer of that sort would be better than 4 ok players.

I cant agree we desperately lack that, on the back of scoring more than every other club in the PL last season, including the clubs those three play for.

You could say they desperately lack a player who can come off the bench and still bag 22 goals, like we have in Son

I cant agree we desperately lack that, on the back of scoring more than every other club in the PL last season, including the clubs those three play for.

You could say they desperately lack a player who can come off the bench and still bag 22 goals, like we have in Son

Different, Son is a goal scorer but he is not the type to beat 2-3 men all the time, he is not the type to cause a defence to drop 10 yards or pull in 2-3 players and create loads of space for the rest of the team.

Sanchez and Hazard are, other teams change with them on the pitch, they are two of the best players in the league. I have watched teams comfortable with Woolwich then Sanchez do something quite brilliant on many occasions, think of this current team with Bale or Ginola and you get the picture.

Just imagine us with Ginola or Bale, we would win the league.

Last edited:

Because you can't rely on players to get through 48 games per season, so you need rotation players and then backups for those. Dembele will be 30 at the end of the season, and isn't normally capable of playing 40 odd games in a season, so you have to plan for the future and a contingency.

Even if Winks is the future, you need to give him competition.

Take into account our 5 man midfield (in a 4 2 3 1 formation):

Wanyama (Dier) / Dembele (Winks)

Eriksen / Dele / Son

Sissoko isn't staying, and so that leaves Onomah to rotate with the forward 3.

Firstly, he's not 3 men. Secondly, he's not really 'ready'. Ideally we'd probably have Edwards/Onomah rotating with Eriksen, Dele & Son - but we'd need another 2-3 players who are capable of stepping in when ready, too. It's pointless to sign "squad players", so we seem to be targetting younger players who could step in and do a job. That's where I think Barkley makes sense.

Hard to include Lamela in the above considerations, as we don't really know if/when he's coming back, and then how long he'd be fit for.

Or maybe Levy feels we can't afford that type of player, I know what I would more believe. If we got offered Sanchez for peanuts I doubt Poch would turn it down.

Not saying Totti is right, but most of the 'wizard' types prob don't wanna do the grafting side that Poch demands, so maybe he deems the overall balance of workrate/press is more valuable to the way we play.

it's been said and sprinkles of mister hindsight but still, three denbeles in the team would have been excellent, if for nothing else but to hear the commentary.

Dembele.jpg

that lad above especially, and for the £1.2M we reportedly turned down, that demands a big d'oh! he would now be one of the front three you'd have wagered. the celtic lad because we didn't want to loan him back?

three dembeles lol!

Or maybe Levy feels we can't afford that type of player, I know what I would more believe. If we got offered Sanchez for peanuts I doubt Poch would turn it down.

There are players who fit that criteria playing in every league in world football - if we wanted one, we could get one.

We could get a Sanchez level player, really?

Why not? He was at Udinese once.

It's called smart scouting. To think there isn't anyone out there who works hard and is under 5 ft 7 is pretty silly.

Maybe Pochettino feels we have that in Marcus Edwards, a player he has constantly praised and described as being like Messi - maybe he feels signing one would disrupt his development and gateway into the team and that we have done pretty damn well without one the past two seasons where we've been in contention for the title and scored a shit load of goals.

Will Edwards fulfil his potential? No idea - I guess we'll have to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom