Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just would have expected a bit more uproar considering prev mentioned factors... Imagine a similar scenario with us and the carnage that would ensue on here if it was one of our 'darlings' nearing the exit door with those stats.

I think they saw him as their saviour, then Martinez got it in the neck when they declined from his earlier lofty results, then Koeman came in as their new messiah and blamed everything on Barkley, so they somehow see him as the bad guy. I think it's different to Stones/Rooney/Rodwell etc. who left in the 'messiah' role.

I think they saw him as their saviour, then Martinez got it in the neck when they declined from his earlier lofty results, then Koeman came in as their new messiah and blamed everything on Barkley, so they somehow see him as the bad guy. I think it's different to Stones/Rooney/Rodwell etc. who left in the 'messiah' role.

Yup.... Appears Koeman is the wild card here so to speak.

Is RB one of a long list of frustratingly inconsistent, un-consolidatable enigmatic talents.

Or is RK a bit of a cunt.

:kanehand:

That's the £40m question....

Yup.... Appears Koeman is the wild card here so to speak.

Is RB one of a long list of frustratingly inconsistent, un-consolidatable enigmatic talents.

Or is RK a bit of a cunt.

:kanehand:

That's the £40m question....

I just think it's Koeman. He's been a bit of a journeyman, managed nearly every team in Holland, and seems to want to play career Snakes & Ladders. I've not seen any evidence that he has any man-management skills, which we've seen is almost vital to getting the most out of players. He's a bit like Moaniho, who manages to turn the "main man" into public enemy number 1 to establish himself at a new club.

I just think it's Koeman. He's been a bit of a journeyman, managed nearly every team in Holland, and seems to want to play career Snakes & Ladders. I've not seen any evidence that he has any man-management skills, which we've seen is almost vital to getting the most out of players. He's a bit like Moaniho, who manages to turn the "main man" into public enemy number 1 to establish himself at a new club.

I guess he's commonly/currently associated with what was portrayed as a roaring success with his stint at S'oton (Overstated, but decent IMO), but you got me thinking...

Was it him or Puyel who had beef with Tadic?

...Wasn't Mane alleged to be pleased to be outta there?

(Lol... Got dirt Ronnie boy? We'll find it, bitch!)

Last edited:
I guess he's commonly/currently associated with what was portrayed as a roaring success with his stint at S'oton (Overstated, but decent IMO), but you got me thinking...

Was it it him or Puyel who had beef with Tadic?

...Wasn't Mane alleged to be pleased to be outta there?

(Lol... Got dirt Ronnie boy? We'll find it, bitch!)

Ward-Prowse, Tadic and Mané were all apparently eager to leave because of his "style" of management. Mané has said good things about him since, but it was the reports at the time that he wasn't very happy with him.

I honestly think thats the atitude of a defeatist (or somebody that has no aspirations to move up/improve).
We finished 2nd last season and it looks like the team that finsihed 1st are actively looking for players to improve their starting 11. My opinion is that we should identify 1 top signing that has the potential to really push us on. The worst that can happen is that this player doesn't have the desired effect on the team thus becoming an important squad player but what if it really ticks and this player does adds another dimension?

3rd time mate, who do you want benched? You keep saying its vital to improve our starting 11. Im assuming you mean a flair player? So is it Kane, Dele or Eriksen you want dropped from our front three? Or do you want a marquee CM or defender?
Its really silly to keep refusing to answer, seeing as its something you think we really need to do.

You need to pick our strongest 11, and decide who makes way before you claim Im defeatist.

Whats defeatist about unearthing another Kane, Dier or Alli? Woolwich spent 40M on Ozil, blinding.

Last edited:
So who then mate, I'm not trawling through 284 pages to find out.

Wanyama played because Dembele was suspended, then Dier was injured, then Dembele was injured. The professional consensus was also that Wanyama was behind Dier.

What professional consensus? Fans and people on this forum as now believed that the first 11 from the previous season would be the first 11 again but that did not happen. I cannot believe that Poch told Wanyama or Sissoko that they were bought as back up. More likely he told them they would get their chance and it they worked hard and did well they would get plenty of opportunities. Wanyama took his opportunities and played regularily, Sissoko did not. We need a strong squad for CL matches and at present if Wimmer or Sissoko get picked we consider we are playing a weak team. Unless Poch considers they have the scope to improve then they need replacing. Janssen I think was expected to take longer although was expected to score more than he did. I prefer Walker and Rose to play but am not overly concerned if Trippier and Davies play but we do not have that cover in all areas of the field.
Rose, Lamela and possibly Son are not fit to start the season and Dele is suspended for CL and Walker may be gone. 18 players are named every match and 14 play most matches and we will pick up injuries and we need more quality players to allow us to cope with CL and Premiership successfully.

What professional consensus? Fans and people on this forum as now believed that the first 11 from the previous season would be the first 11 again but that did not happen. I cannot believe that Poch told Wanyama or Sissoko that they were bought as back up. More likely he told them they would get their chance and it they worked hard and did well they would get plenty of opportunities. Wanyama took his opportunities and played regularily, Sissoko did not. We need a strong squad for CL matches and at present if Wimmer or Sissoko get picked we consider we are playing a weak team. Unless Poch considers they have the scope to improve then they need replacing. Janssen I think was expected to take longer although was expected to score more than he did. I prefer Walker and Rose to play but am not overly concerned if Trippier and Davies play but we do not have that cover in all areas of the field.
Rose, Lamela and possibly Son are not fit to start the season and Dele is suspended for CL and Walker may be gone. 18 players are named every match and 14 play most matches and we will pick up injuries and we need more quality players to allow us to cope with CL and Premiership successfully.
You seem to be arguing with yourself mate. Your second sentence is exactly my point. ???!!!??

3rd time mate, who do you want benched? You keep saying its vital to improve our starting 11. Im assuming you mean a flair player? So is it Kane, Dele or Eriksen you want dropped from our front three? Or do you want a marquee CM or defender?
Its really silly to keep refusing to answer, seeing as its something you think we really need to do.

You need to pick our strongest 11, and decide who makes way before you claim Im defeatist.

Whats defeatist about unearthing another Kane, Dier or Alli? Woolwich spent 40M on Ozil, blinding.
Page number 278..post number 5550. Don't know what you're talking about with this 3rd time nonsense and how i dont answer the question (you've done this before in a debate where i clearly answered the question btw).

For me Davies is better than Tripps in every aspect. Tripps assists this season, why everyone is banging on and on about him, came against two teams, Hull and Watford I believe. Davies keeps our balance. With Tripps we have to tweek our game to compensate.

Silva has been one of my favorite players to watch, however his past two seasons (last year especially) have been poor by his standards. He no longer contributes as he used to, Erikssen is far more influential with Spurs than Silva with Citeh. His new namesake is there to replace him.

Where's your evidence on Wanyama?
respect your opinion, but you cant be serious about every aspect Davies is better, trips deliver is so much better, stats are there to back it up (Tripps assist may of been against those teams, but why didnt Davies get as much then?). Its commonly known that Trips is one of the best delivery's in the league.
For Wanyama the evidence is the fact that Poch spent 11 mill on him, if thats not enough, he is also the man that took him to Southampton in the first place (where he was a key player). The fact that he purchased him twice, I very much doubt he bought him to be back-up, which was proven correct, as he started all but 2 league games.

Gotta be one of the dumbest arguments ever. You know very well that Costa and Hazard are key players for them and that Fabregas started most games towards the end of the season.

We'd have a better bench than Real Madrid if we'd stick Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Dembele, Alli and Kane there.

You'd make more sense if you wound you're neck in you pillock.

Last edited:
Page number 278..post number 5550. Don't know what you're talking about with this 3rd time nonsense and how i dont answer the question (you've done this before in a debate where i clearly answered the question btw).
You want the new marquee signing to rotate with Dembele tho.

Then claim its defeatist to sign squad players. Yet you want to sign a squad player to play home games and against easier opponents for 40M.

You didn't answer at all. Your answer was banging on about rotation with your "new" player. That's exactly MY argument that you have been disagreeing with.

You wanted someone to improve the first team, not squad cover. Then your answer is to drop one of your favorite players, and pay 40M for someone to play home games against the likes of Huddersfield and Watford.

Sigh

Can admit I'm a little jealous that Liverpool and City are getting all their signings in nice and early whilst Spurs are as per usual pottering around dithering wether to sign Barkley or not. We can't be making this mistake again and again again where we start the season off with certain players still not signed. I think Salah is a really exciting signing for Liverpool and I wish we were signing players of this calibur. It's about time we show some ambition in this transfer market. We need a team to compete for all honours and we don't have that right now

Last edited:
Can admit I'm a little jealous that Liverpool and City are getting all their signings in nice and early whilst Spurs are as per usual pottering around dithering wether to sign Barkley or not. We can't be making this mistake again and again again where we start the season off with certain players still not signed. I think Sarah is a really exciting signing for Liverpool and I wish we were signing players of this calibur. It's about time we show some ambition in this transfer market. We need a team to compete for all honours and we don't have that right now
Sarah? Calibur?

:pritchardeyes:

Can admit I'm a little jealous that Liverpool and City are getting all their signings in nice and early whilst Spurs are as per usual pottering around dithering wether to sign Barkley or not. We can't be making this mistake again and again again where we start the season off with certain players still not signed. I think Salah is a really exciting signing for Liverpool and I wish we were signing players of this calibur. It's about time we show some ambition in this transfer market. We need a team to compete for all honours and we don't have that right now

The difference between Spurs and the other sides in the league is that they've all got gaping holes in their first eleven, while we've got a near perfect team with some very nice backup players. They can and should be desperate to improve, and improvements are available to them within their resource range.

We have the luxury of not being that desperate. The only reason we get a late, big signing is probably to stop the moaning from some fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom