Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Mr, Levy.

Please announce a signing soon so the folks at TFC forum have something to actually talk about instead of arguing in circles.

You think that'll put an end to this shit?

So much more still to bicker over:

WAS he the right choice?
Where should they play?
Who should he replace?
Did we pay too much?
Someone else got player X instead for less...

...Modern Football: The gift that keeps on giving.

Which in today's exchange rate is not far off £35m he'll still be one of their most expensive players.

Jeeez.... Forgetting how bad the exchange rate is these days.

I still vividly remember when E30m = £20m.

Still record signing according to the cunts (i.e. tabloids).

The end of the day (as an example) here's what i saw on semi final day:

Substitutes from: Begović, Zouma, Terry, Chalobah, Fàbregas, Hazard, Costa

Substitutes from: Lopez, Davies, Walker, Wimmer, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Janssen

Which set of benches would fill you with more fear if you see them warming up to come on and win a game of football?

Gotta be one of the dumbest arguments ever. You know very well that Costa and Hazard are key players for them and that Fabregas started most games towards the end of the season.

We'd have a better bench than Real Madrid if we'd stick Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Dembele, Alli and Kane there.

Dear Mr, Levy.

Please announce a signing soon so the folks at TFC forum have something to actually talk about instead of arguing in circles.

Dear Mr. Ajachilles,

such an arrangement is possible.
However, to make it possible we need to look at the options how we together can make dreams come through.

My suggestion would be the following:
If x player is signed on an y date the forum members at TFC have to pay £10 per day until the day the contract of player x expires and 16,5% of the transfer fee to cover the extra costs of bringing a transfer forward.

Yours sincerely,
Daniel

:levystare:

Disagree that Wanyama was. Think Poch had it in his mind to make Wanyama a starter being that he rated him so highly.

N'kodou, N'jie, Sissoko, Janssen, Wimmer, and Trippier were our latest squad player signings with 1 being a success and 1 being decent. That's about 80m spent when that money could have been spent on 2 (or maybe 3) real quality players that could impact our first X1 and really push us on.

I feel 1 real quality signing and another really good signing is the way to go this time.
At the time Wanyama was certainly seen by all as a back up to Dier, don't recall anyone both professional or fan who said or expected otherwise.

With regards to the other signings you mention you forget about Davies who IMO is better in his position than Trippier. The others are usual collateral damage for any club. Name me one club that has signed players over the last 3 seasons that have a shorter list of players that haven't worked out, just ONE club. Not all players work out, you can't be expecting otherwise surely.

Everyone talks about how wonderful Cities attack is and it's the best in the League: Kane is better than Aguero, Son is better than Sane, Erikssen is better than Silva, Dele is better than De Bruyne, all of our boys have assisted and scored more than their counter-parts at Citeh. So I assume you can't surely be looking to buy a player that will start over our first team attacking unit. Our DM's are also arguably the best in the League, I personally believe Wanyama is better than Kante (he's got more to his game, better with the ball at his feet too), Dembele is World Class and totally unique (no player does what he does, there is no comparison with another player to make), Dier isn't as good as those two IMO, however his versatility also makes him a must pick, our defence is the best in the league nuff said, you can't be suggesting an upgrade on Rose, Walker, Vertonghen, Alderwiereld? Who are you going to buy and who are you looking to replace? Where is the weak link in our first eleven?

At the time Wanyama was certainly seen by all as a back up to Dier, don't recall anyone both professional or fan who said or expected otherwise.

With regards to the other signings you mention you forget about Davies who IMO is better in his position than Trippier. The others are usual collateral damage for any club. Name me one club that has signed players over the last 3 seasons that have a shorter list of players that haven't worked out, just ONE club. Not all players work out, you can't be expecting otherwise surely.

Everyone talks about how wonderful Cities attack is and it's the best in the League: Kane is better than Aguero, Son is better than Sane, Erikssen is better than Silva, Dele is better than De Bruyne, all of our boys have assisted and scored more than their counter-parts at Citeh. So I assume you can't surely be looking to buy a player that will start over our first team attacking unit. Our DM's are also arguably the best in the League, I personally believe Wanyama is better than Kante (he's got more to his game, better with the ball at his feet too), Dembele is World Class and totally unique (no player does what he does, there is no comparison with another player to make), Dier isn't as good as those two IMO, however his versatility also makes him a must pick, our defence is the best in the league nuff said, you can't be suggesting an upgrade on Rose, Walker, Vertonghen, Alderwiereld? Who are you going to buy and who are you looking to replace? Where is the weak link in our first eleven?
Who cares what a fan says? Poch clearly saw Wanyama as a starter hence he started him immediantly.
I've already stated what i would like us to do and what position/formation we can play where one extra addition to the starting 11COULD really push us on (on this thread).

We got almost 150m from the league/TV money. We are building a massive, fuck-off stadium. A wage structure is sensible, but it also needs to evolve.
It is evolving, it's growing massively, no other club re-singed/tied down it's key players than Spurs. Everyone of those new contracts saw an increase in salary, expect that continue.

Who cares what a fan says? Poch clearly saw Wanyama as a starter hence he started him immediantly.
I've already stated what i would like us to do and what position/formation we can play where one extra addition to the starting 11COULD really push us on (on this thread).
So who then mate, I'm not trawling through 284 pages to find out.

Wanyama played because Dembele was suspended, then Dier was injured, then Dembele was injured. The professional consensus was also that Wanyama was behind Dier.

Btw if people were given the option to (this is assuming we keep our key players intact)

A) spend 40m combined on 2 or 3 squad players adding depth to the attacking mid and cb or striker position (depending on the squad player we shift)

B) sign 1 genuine quality attacking midfielder for 40m(or whatever main position you think needs improving on)

Last edited:
Btw if people were given the option to (this is assuming we keep our key players intact)

A) spend 40m combined on 2 or 3 squad players adding depth to the attacking mid and cb or striker position (depending on the squad player we shift)

B) sign 1 genuine quality attacking midfielder for 40m(or whatever main position you think needs improving on)

Option A for me, with some fringe players going out.

40M on a starter means someone gets dropped. I still dont know who you would drop....people are very quick to say they want one or two quality additions for the first team, but go missing when you ask who gets benched.

Dear Mr, Levy.

It's a tragic existence. In the absence of actual football I have resorted to logging on here every 30 minutes in a desperate search for affirmation via little blue bells, just to give my wretched life some meaning and excitement.

Option A for me, with some fringe players going out.

40M on a starter means someone gets dropped. I still dont know who you would drop....people are very quick to say they want one or two quality additions for the first team, but go missing when you ask who gets benched.
I honestly think thats the atitude of a defeatist (or somebody that has no aspirations to move up/improve).
We finished 2nd last season and it looks like the team that finsihed 1st are actively looking for players to improve their starting 11. My opinion is that we should identify 1 top signing that has the potential to really push us on. The worst that can happen is that this player doesn't have the desired effect on the team thus becoming an important squad player but what if it really ticks and this player does adds another dimension?

I honestly think thats the atitude of a defeatist (or somebody that has no aspirations to move up/improve).
We finished 2nd last season and it looks like the team that finsihed 1st are actively looking for players to improve their starting 11. My opinion is that we should identify 1 top signing that has the potential to really push us on. The worst that can happen is that this player doesn't have the desired effect on the team thus becoming an important squad player but what if it really ticks and this player does adds another dimension?
Kinda agree here. In my short time watching football, ive seen a lot of team on top and think they dont have to change, not long till they realize they are facing a horrible season.

Yes i cant see any of our performing players to be drop now. But many wonder things might happen in football. Just at the first few months into the season, people are questioning Eriksen's form. I for one frustrated by Dele's contribution up before winter run. Yes to my shame, but he didnt really offers much if you watch the game before his 7 goals in 4 games streak.

Also, without one of Dembele, Eriksen and Kane we are playing a very different brand of football. Nonetheless i think we need another dimension to our play, that is why Poch saying we need real winger. I for one really wants one more great MC, a deep lying or B2B one preferrably. I know its not a popular opinion. But i think MC is a really important roles that plays the difference on whether a team will dominate the game or not.
Many will argue Onomah and Winks will be stagnant if that happens. But part of being a great football club is to be prepare on these occasion if, might, or would scenario.
They will get their chances, and its up to them by the whether they can thrive or not.

Yes, its hard to replace this bunch of players but that shouldnt be the basis of how we should operates if we want to eventually stopped coming shorts.

I dont think feel Davis is as good as trips going forward. I like Eriksen, but his deffo not as good as Silva. Also find it hard to believe Wanyama was bought as back up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom