Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juventus CEO Giuseppe Marotta says Serie A's 20 clubs are in agreement to "set the end of the transfer window on Jul 31" in Italy. "The transfer window is exhausting," he said recently. "It's become a circus."

But the German league (DFL) said there was no clear consensus among the Bundesliga's top clubs.

"The theme of the transfer window - regardless of the decision of the Premier League - was on the agenda of today's general meeting of sports representatives of the Bundesliga and the second Bundesliga at the DFL, and it became clear that there is no definitive opinion among the clubs," said a DFL spokesman.

Read more at Football: Premier League to close transfer window before season

Common sense?

Clubs can have their players snatched from them during the start of the season from foreign clubs.

The only thing we've done is put ourselves in a weaker position for Madrid, Barca etc to take advantage and we can't even buy a replacement if Eriksen or Dele refuses to play and hands in a request.
That won't happen unless it's a monstrous bid. I'm sure all clubs are prepared.

Common sense?

Clubs can have their players snatched from them during the start of the season from foreign clubs.

The only thing we've done is put ourselves in a weaker position for Madrid, Barca etc to take advantage and we can't even buy a replacement if Eriksen or Dele refuses to play and hands in a request.
Liverpool, Chelsea and Woolwich all held on to star players despite other clubs trying to buy them.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Woolwich all held on to star players despite other clubs trying to buy them.

Costa refused to move to anyone but Athletico
Arse didn't want to lose Chamberlain, yet did. He also agreed to let Sanchez go, until they couldn't get Lemar.

Only valid point there is liverpool, and even then your sample size and argument is just silly. So you're saying that star players won't leave an English club for a Foreign club once the window is shut because....it didn't happen to 3 clubs during this summer?

If you can sell but can't buy you're going to end up in a situation where players are still distracted about being sold. Where the biggest clubs in the world can still take your players. Where you can't replace players who leave.

Unless the rest of Europe follows suit, it's a silly move.

Just throwing this out there, but what about a longer transfer window?

Instead of closing the first window, leave it open until the end of January?

Would there be more movement or less? Would teams be content to start the season with what they have and then buy/sell roughly halfway through?

Just throwing this out there, but what about a longer transfer window?

Instead of closing the first window, leave it open until the end of January?

Would there be more movement or less? Would teams be content to start the season with what they have and then buy/sell roughly halfway through?

There never even used to be a transfer window.

I think it absolutely needs to change to before the season starts, but for all leagues. Problem is, not every European league starts at the same time.

Id get rid of the winter window.

Costa refused to move to anyone but Athletico
Arse didn't want to lose Chamberlain, yet did. He also agreed to let Sanchez go, until they couldn't get Lemar.

Only valid point there is liverpool, and even then your sample size and argument is just silly. So you're saying that star players won't leave an English club for a Foreign club once the window is shut because....it didn't happen to 3 clubs during this summer?

If you can sell but can't buy you're going to end up in a situation where players are still distracted about being sold. Where the biggest clubs in the world can still take your players. Where you can't replace players who leave.

Unless the rest of Europe follows suit, it's a silly move.
Our poor starts over the last few years has a lot to do with the transfer window remaining open after the season has started and I therefore believe it is a good thing to close it before the season starts. Ideally the other leagues will follow but if not like Liverpool, the clubs will just have to refuse to sell. There are only 3 foreign clubs that have the financial muscle to target our best players and they will just have to make their bids 2/3 weeks earlier. I am not dismissing your fears about players being unsettled but the clubs will just have to say if you want our players you need to bid before the window closes.

if you want our players you need to bid before the window closes.

Let me ask you this simple question.

If Levy was in charge of Real Madrid, would he "Bid before our purchasing window closes"?

Would he fuck. He would wait until the very last selling day and pile on the pressure. And a player who is unsettled doesn't give a shit if we get a replacement in or not - they're just going to hand in a transfer request and try to force a move.

You say that "Liverpool, Woolwich, Chelsea held onto their stars", yet...
  • Coutinho hates Liverpool for rejecting Barca, he was crying constantly while on international duty. He won't perform this year.
  • Sanchez hates Woolwich and isn't going to put a shift in at all. He told his family and close friends it was a done deal and may refuse to play for Woolwich.
  • Costa ran off to Brazil and said that he wouldn't even train with Chelsea again and that he only wants to join Athletico.

How many games have these players played for their club so far? 0, 1, 0. Brilliant, well worth keeping.

In all 3 scenarios you've got the club refusing to sell a player and the player reacting badly. Do you think any of those 3 players are going to hit incredible form this year? Not a chance. All three see this as a wasted year they can't wait to get through so they can go in Winter/Summer window.

Saying "Oh just don't sell the players then" is overly simplistic. An unmotivated Eriksen or Dele is almost useless in a system like ours, at that point we may as well just sell and not get a replacement until Jan, which obviously negatively effects our performances on the pitch and where we finish.

03d31adfb353258d3dcb969d109b8b2f.png

Jesus, and I thought Mindblown was a troll. Grow up, fucking hell.

03d31adfb353258d3dcb969d109b8b2f.png

Jesus, and I thought Mindblown was a troll. Grow up, fucking hell.
Um, you're crying about three neg reps, and even took a screenshot, because I think you're talking shit about "snatched" players and I'm the one who needs to grow up?? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. :dembelelol:God help you if you fall foul of the likes of Lego boy, who'll give you a hundred a week. You might have to see a shrink to calm yourself.

If you return the favor he'll start crying.
Naturally you can point out where I have ever given a shit about neg rep? Hell, I'm taking the piss out of Arcy all the time for it and they way he thinks it all matters. Clearly it matters to you as well. Sad. It's just a little graphic X, you get that right? It doesn't harm you. It doesn't give you cancer. It doesn't give you a mental breakdown....well, maybe it does you.... *shrug*. I love how you all care so much about the disagree button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom