Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. Another Alli would be like catching lightning in a bottle twice. But this is why I rate the manager & his management team so highly. I think Poch is perfectly capable of doing it, looking at his track record with young players both at Southampton & Spurs. We only have to look at how many England internationals he's created- from players who weren't household names. I don't think he would sell Rose unless Rose wanted to go. £15 million for Sessegnon is a no brainer. Even if he didn't "do a Dele" & take the league by storm at a very early stage, he has such a good future ahead of him, & every young player must know that their chances of breaking through into the first team & improving beyond recognition (look at Danny Rose himself) are almost assured with Poch, assuming they will put in the hard work he demands.

I'm excited at this Sessegnon talk. Really hopeful we can do a deal with Fulham.
Again agree with all of that, especially with Poch, I've been saying that for a while. However, when Trippier and Davies have struggled (mainly Trippier) he has tweaked our formation to compensate and help them out but expect we will not kick on if we sell Rose and Walker and rely on Davies, Sessengnon, Trippier & Walker-Peter's as our FB's. Tripps and Davies simply do not possess the natural engines that Walker and Rose do, nothing will change that.

Trippier is average, Davies I rate but is at a level down from Rose, mainly down to his pace. I'm a massive fan of both Sessengnon and KWP but they are kids, there is still nothing to support they will click straight away. Our fullbacks are vital to how we play, they have to be shit hot, top draw players like Walker and Rose are, remove them we will be worse. If Poch improves the back-up's this will still take some time, during which it's a risk.

I think he'd do just fine as a forward or anywhere in an attacking three.

Our system is so flexible that players can excel in a variety of positions where they wouldn't be able to at other clubs.

I think Iheanacho has a lot of the attributes that Son has, although I think he has better movement, better close range finish and inferior mid-long range shooting.

Sounds nice but....

You originally said he CAN play in other positions... I took that to have some element of evidence/previous behind it....

Let's not expect Poch to be the PlayDough master.... He can't sculpt anything out of anything.

He's largely been a cameo striker for City.... Anyone recall what games if any hes started?

If Sessegnon hasn't signed a pro contract with Fulham, Liverpool can't sign him because they a currently banned from signing academy players.

It would be pure comedy if it came down to this... Defo a day or two's worth of RAWK melt to be had.

...And then the irony of 'old man' Milner playing there for another year, out of position, getting slower...

False9 at best imo (no criticism).

As for the comparison....

They may score similar kinds of goals once inside the box, but JDs always suffered from not being able to contribute outside of the poaching aspect of his game; hense why we sold him both times.... The purple patches often failed to balance off against the games he'd struggle to get involved. He'd struggle massively to play as an AM even in a less pressing orientated system.

My original point tho, where else would one expect Iheanacho to fit in other that ST if he has no game outside the box....?

Anyone seen him picked elsewhere in the past?

Sons position is never attacking midfield, it's always as an inside forward winger similar to Ronaldo. We're just fortunate that he can do both wings because he's wicked with both feet. There is little to suggest Iheanacho couldn't do the same from the right.

For what it's worth, if we signed him, I'd want it to be for up front, not out wide.

Am I the only one who doesn't want us to sign Sessegnon? For me that would mean Rose is being sold, we are not going to have Rose, Davies AND Sessegnon.
Sessegnon is 16. He might be good enough to play for us next year, but that is highly unlikely. Dele could because he's impossibly good. But no one expected or planned for that.

I think there's every chance that Sessegnon might be loaned out next year for playing time, even if we signed him, so there's no reason we couldn't sign him and keep Rose and Davies.

Sons position is never attacking midfield, it's always as an inside forward winger similar to Ronaldo. We're just fortunate that he can do both wings because he's wicked with both feet. There is little to suggest Iheanacho couldn't do the same from the right.

4231: Rotating across a line of 3 AMs.
3421: Not sure what you call the 2 in behind, Ali is what you may decide to call 2nd ST I'm that formation.

Names aren't so important I guess, but JD way more 1 demensional (as per original. comparrison).

I'm not against signing Iheanacho, not at all. A few suggest there's no evidence he can't play multiple positions, I'm simply wondering what evidence there is that he can....

Like I say anyone seen him start?

Sounds nice but....

You originally said he CAN play in other positions... I took that to have some element of evidence/previous behind it....

Let's not expect Poch to be the PlayDough master.... He can't sculpt anything out of anything.

He's largely been a cameo striker for City.... Anyone recall what games if any hes started?

He moves a lot, watch some of his highlights. He'll often make runs down the right or left wing which you wouldn't expect from a typical "stay up top striker". So, aye, although he has been played up front he often finds himself everywhere. I've got no doubts that he could play in the wing, in a front 2 or in a front 3. His movement is top notch.

As for "Cameo striker" I have a few points:
1. Do you really expect him an inexperienced 18 year old, when he first emerged, to replace Aguero? Strange.
2. 2015/16 - 36 apps, 14 goals, 7 assists. That isn't "cameo" stats, those are very promising for what was a 19 year old, especially when many of those apps were as a sub
3. He scored 14 goals in 1,288 minutes - meaning he scores a goal a game on average. + the assists. Looks even more impressive.
4. He isn't wanted by Pep and the feeling seems to be mutual. Despite this he still got 7 goals in 899 minutes during the 16/17 season - again, not far off a goal a game.

He started vs Bournemouth, played 90. 1 goal 1 assist.

After that there must have been a fall out - he hasn't even been in the squad for the past 5 months. I think it's unfair to insult him for this, he can't exactly score or perform when not even in the squad.

A great talent with huge potential who is struggling under a manager who doesn't like him - We all should know by now the difference a good manager who cares about you can make. I.e. Danny Rose.

He's only 20 years old.

I can't find the rule, but when City we're found guilty of the same thing, they couldn't sign anyone under 18.

Man City banned from signing academy players after breaking Premier League rules
Liverpool banned from signing academy players and fined £100,000

Tidbit at the end:

“Liverpool have cooperated with the Premier League’s inquiries in a timely and thorough manner and admitted the rule breaches asserted against them. The club will pay a fine of £100,000 and will be prohibited from registering any academy players who have been registered with a Premier League or EFL club in the preceding 18 months. This ban will last for two years, with the second year suspended for a three-year period (to be activated in the event of any further similar breach by the club). The Premier League will make no further comment on this matter.”

Liverpool’s ban – similar to punishments handed out to Barcelona, Real Madridand Atlético Madrid in recent years – will not affect their attempts to sign Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham this summer. The coveted left-back, who has risen to prominence at Craven Cottage, turns 17 before the next transfer window and is therefore eligible to sign a professional rather than an academy contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom