Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of the issue is that Martinez placed a lot of responsibility on him to carry the whole team, and Koeman has placed a lot of blame on him for not carrying the whole team.

Their fans are fickle, and as soon as he didn't drop his pants for Kenwright, many have been spouting negative stuff about him. Not really too different to the Kyle Walker reaction on here, really, even if the circumstances are different. What I'm getting at is that any truth in all of it may well be because of how he's been treated, and why he hasn't been so enthusiastic to sign a contract.

I think that much like the Kyle Walker reaction there is some truth in all of that. How much? Hard to say.

I think he is an immensely talented player, but he doesn't seem to be a very intelligent one. Couple that up with his penchant for getting punched out at bars mid-week and I see warning signs everywhere.
If this was a player we were gonna drop, say, 10,15, even 20mil on I'd probably be able to look past that and towards the better aspects of him, but for what appears to be an amount that would top our largest signing ever, it's hard to not worry.

I think that much like the Kyle Walker reaction there is some truth in all of that. How much? Hard to say.

I think he is an immensely talented player, but he doesn't seem to be a very intelligent one. Couple that up with his penchant for getting punched out at bars mid-week and I see warning signs everywhere.
If this was a player we were gonna drop, say, 10,15, even 20mil on I'd probably be able to look past that and towards the better aspects of him, but for what appears to be an amount that would top our largest signing ever, it's hard to not worry.

Problem with being a scouser who makes a good wedge - they tend to get targeted by the scummos who populate that very city. Wannabe gansters and so on. Gerrard was, apparently, under a lot of pressure his whole career by the very same types. He might be a nice lad with a bad crowd.

I think he is an immensely talented player, but he doesn't seem to be a very intelligent one.

Completely agree. He had raw ability, but no smarts and lost the ball in good situations more of then I could be bothered to scream "Simple, you simple twat!". The same is true of Barkley. He doesn't strike me as a smart player and our first 11 are all smart players, with the exception of Kane, Alli and Eriksen, who are geniuses (Dembele is an idiot savant with the skin of Luke Cage and bones of Logan).

I do think Janssen will pull through, I'd put most of his problems down to his age and some bad luck (I was amazed at how unlucky he was, in fact). We obviously need top-quality cover for ST and RB, but from what I'm seeing of the youth team, a few of them are going to be making debuts this season. KWP, ME and CCV surely?

Personally, I hope we get Pereira, but not that fussed. If we saved money and keep developing smart talent, we might not win something this season (and no one is backing us to at Wembley), but at least we'd be set for a return to the lane. Hopefully all those smarts in the team will see we stuck out a season to kill the next.

Completely agree. He had raw ability, but no smarts and lost the ball in good situations more of then I could be bothered to scream "Simple, you simple twat!". The same is true of Barkley. He doesn't strike me as a smart player and our first 11 are all smart players, with the exception of Kane, Alli and Eriksen, who are geniuses (Dembele is an idiot savant with the skin of Luke Cage and bones of Logan).

I do think Janssen will pull through, I'd put most of his problems down to his age and some bad luck (I was amazed at how unlucky he was, in fact). We obviously need top-quality cover for ST and RB, but from what I'm seeing of the youth team, a few of them are going to be making debuts this season. KWP, ME and CCV surely?

Personally, I hope we get Pereira, but not that fussed. If we saved money and keep developing smart talent, we might not win something this season (and no one is backing us to at Wembley), but at least we'd be set for a return to the lane. Hopefully all those smarts in the team will see we stuck out a season to kill the next.
You had me until you called Dembele and idiot savant

You had me until you called Dembele and idiot savant

Haha, yeah, I know, it's harsh. I choked on them, but tried to choose my words carefully, given the context (it was supposed to be tongue in cheek). I love him; he's the best in the world at beating people and keeping the ball (his motto should be "Please." or "Don't even"), but he can't/won't shoot and rarely plays an assistive pass. If he could do those things, he'd truly be a genius. I'll back-track and call him 'very superior'.

Haha, yeah, I know, it's harsh. I choked on them, but tried to choose my words carefully, given the context. I love him; he's the best in the world at beating people and keeping the ball (his motto should be "Please." or "Don't even"), but he can't/won't shoot and rarely plays an assistive pass. If he could do those things, he'd truly be a genius.

I think that's less of an intelligence flaw and more that he over-relies on his strength and dribbling.

Haha, yeah, I know, it's harsh. I choked on them, but tried to choose my words carefully, given the context (it was supposed to be tongue in cheek). I love him; he's the best in the world at beating people and keeping the ball (his motto should be "Please." or "Don't even"), but he can't/won't shoot and rarely plays an assistive pass. If he could do those things, he'd truly be a genius. I'll back-track and call him 'very superior'.

That's Modric you're describing, rarely plays assistive pass and can't, won't shoot. :dembelewtf:

My main worry with Barkley is his attitude/work ethic.

I've just heard rumors from Everton supporters that he is a bit of a primadona and likes his drink.... don't know how much of it carries over in to the training ground but it certainly throws up some red flags for me.
I suppose those things outside of the football are a worry. These rumours seem to have gathered speed since Koeman took over There, maybe something to it as Koeman seems no nonscence as is Poch don't think he'd stand that for one moment and to us think if there was any possible Poch would have to be certain of his character. He's also 22 which is the same as Dier, so there's time to learn in football and outside of it.

Interesting fact:

Ryan Mason was 23 years and 3 months old when he made his PL debut for us.

Ross Barkley is currently 23 years and 7 months old, but apparently is too old to have potential (so say some)

:gallashmm:

(Still confident it ain't happening though)

but for what appears to be an amount that would top our largest signing ever,

Judging Barkley with the words "Largest signing ever" makes little sense.

The market is not stagnant or stable. It grows.

We sold Modric for £30 million in 2012. By todays standards, that's an incredible bargain and hard to even look at. Yet back then we thought £30 million was great money.

Today Siggurdson is worth £50mil+. Back in 2014 we swapped Siggy for Davies.

My point here is that players who were worth £10-20 million in 2014 are now worth £50 million because the amount of money has vastly increased.

2016-17 League Winner Total = £150 million

2014-15 League Winner Total = £95m

2011-12 League Winner Total = £60m

People don't seem to understand that in 5 years the amount of money earned has almost tripled - as have player prices.

Rather than see it as "Record signing" you could equally see it as us spending £10 mil, if it was 2013. Is Barkley worth £10m? Obviously. Yet proportionally, that's all that £30 million is now, due to the amount of money flooding into the Premier League.

You can look all over Europe, but unless a miracle happens like Dele, you're not going to get an attacking midfielder for less than £20m.

Example? Bernardo Silva.

2015-16. 44 games, 7 goals, 3 assists. Quite a mediocre season
2016-17. 58 games, 11 goals, 12 assists. Very good, but not world class.

Transfer paid after 1 good season? £45mil + £17 mil add ons = £62million for a player with a singular good season.

Please stop saying "Oh, but £30million, record signing" without perspective. £30 million is nothing these days.

Sunderland got relegated, yet managed to sell their keeper for £30mil.
Ajax sold Davy Klaassen for £25 mil.
Liverpool bought Salah for £45 mil
Bourthmouth bought Nathan Fucking Ake for £20mil.

£20-30 million is peanuts.

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care that much about transfer fees? I'd rather get Barkley for 35m than not at all.
Well, it is much easier to not care when it isn't your money.

That being said, I think most people care about the financial well being of the club so, yes, you may be the only one.

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care that much about transfer fees? I'd rather get Barkley for 35m than not at all.

Debt with a new stadium could be awful for the club, if we went completely gung ho.

Woolwich underestimated the costs of their stadium and had to take out new loans mid-construction and then sell off star players for years to fund it.

I always want the club to be smart with its money, but at the same time we need a fair degree of ambition here. Transfers don't always guarantee success, but they are a sign of intent. The signals we've given the past few transfer windows are "We're content with this, we need to save money". I think this is a shame, we could have won the title two years running with a bit more ambition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom