Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

According to this report, the deal structure for Sissoko means we'll only pay the full amount if he stays for the full 5 years.

Tottenham's Sissoko outlay may end up less than £30 million, suggests report
So flog him in the summer for just 6 million invested if he's not the best thing since sliced bread. Guess I can get behind the deal structure in that case. We'll only end up paying 30m if he ends up being worth it. Otherwise he's cheap cover.

Sorry for doubting you Levy. You've simultaneously impressed the "speculate to accumulate crowd" such as Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante , while also running a tight ship that pleases the rest of us.

So flog him in the summer for just 6 million invested if he's not the best thing since sliced bread. Guess I can get behind the deal structure in that case. We'll only end up paying 30m if he ends up being worth it. Otherwise he's cheap cover.

Sorry for doubting you Levy. You've simultaneously impressed the "speculate to accumulate crowd" such as Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante , while also running a tight ship that pleases the rest of us.

Doesn't work like that, Spurs owe £30m whichever way it works, it's just if we sell him before 5 years the money can come out of the transfer fee we sell him for. So if we sell him after 1 year, we would need to sell him for £24m and the entire fee would go to Newcastle.

The journo who wrote the Standard article has come out and clarified his comment which was misleading

Doesn't work like that, Spurs owe £30m whichever way it works, it's just if we sell him before 5 years the money can come out of the transfer fee we sell him for. So if we sell him after 1 year, we would need to sell him for £24m and the entire fee would go to Newcastle.

The journo who wrote the Standard article has come out and clarified his comment which was misleading
Well that sucks.

Back to feeling bad about this one.

most player transfers are by instalments so it seems a weird article to write. However... I expect Andros and Yedlin fees are also paid in instalments over five years and this is being offset:

Andros = 12m
Yedlin = 5m
total / 5 years = 3.4m

Sissoko = 30m
total / 5 years = 6m

our outlay per year
6m – 3.4m = 2.6m

If we sell him in two seasons because it's hasn't worked out for £15m we would be 2m in the green once we've paid Newcastle back.

Andros was a youth product so free and Yedlin was £2.21m so apart from wages we are £200k in the red... If Sissoko remains a French international for the next couple of years his stock will remain high, especially in another league. Levy knows this so will sell before chopping like he has done with Mason and Chadli, both of them got decent fees before they were exiled.

He's a good player, we should just get behind him.the fee was big but this year is mental. Villa spaffed £15m on a striker who had one half decent season at Bristol city ffs. This guys was probably France's best player at the euros.

Poch is a much much better manager than McLaren, Carver and Pardew, he'll get him playing to his potential.

He's a good player, we should just get behind him.the fee was big but this year is mental. Villa spaffed £15m on a striker who had one half decent season at Bristol city ffs. This guys was probably France's best player at the euros.

Poch is a much much better manager than McLaren, Carver and Pardew, he'll get him playing to his potential.
Does anyone think Benetiz wanted him to go?
He was decent under Benetiz when he took over. I mean AT and Winjaldum didn't exactly embrace championship football either did they.
I suppose they didn't want to move.
I have my doubts about him, but they could be all wrong. We'll have to see.
After all he's been at Newcastle for a while.

For the life of me, I still don't understand why so many supporters are caught up in the Sissoko transfer fee. If you didn't rate him fine, I get that but it's like so many are accountants on here telling the club how to spend their money. It's not your fucking money!

Surely the club has an amount of money each season they are willing to spend on transfers, whether they hit that amount or not it doesn't affect the supporters. The club is making a boatload of money and the only tangible way the supporters reap the benefits is by getting new players to help us on the pitch.

Like I said when the day comes when the club gives each supporter money back for what they didn't spend on a transfer not going through is when I will give a fuck about what they pay to bring in a player.

Now fucking get behind Sissoko he's now one of us Jesus christ

Fucking hell that was awesome ................
Jon-Hamm.gif

Think the timing and execution of Sissoko's signing, probably eclipsed the rest of our business. Paying £30 mill when some people were on the pitch, is horrifically un-Levy -like.
The argument is well documented about value for money etc. but I really don't like the pre badge kissing of his opening statement. If you did want a big club, CL football, the opportunity to grow etc. etc. why wait until the eleventh hour of the last day.
Anyone wanting all that, that badly, would have been all over his Agent's daily, eight o' clock, Day one.
Yes, he is a talent, and he will probably become a fan's favourite, but spare us the 'Coming Home' saccharine. As Harry Callaghan once said, " Don't piss down my neck, and tell me it's raining."

For the life of me, I still don't understand why so many supporters are caught up in the Sissoko transfer fee. If you didn't rate him fine, I get that but it's like so many are accountants on here telling the club how to spend their money. It's not your fucking money!

Surely the club has an amount of money each season they are willing to spend on transfers, whether they hit that amount or not it doesn't affect the supporters. The club is making a boatload of money and the only tangible way the supporters reap the benefits is by getting new players to help us on the pitch.

Like I said when the day comes when the club gives each supporter money back for what they didn't spend on a transfer not going through is when I will give a fuck about what they pay to bring in a player.

Coming up next, John McGinn for 40 million.

First of all, when you net it all out it was a good window.
There are 3 things that just look like mistakes, 2 of them things we did and 1 thing we didn't do.

1. Selling Ryan Mason when we have so many games of different kinds to play, from League Cup to Champions League. He could easily have started 15 games and done a good job in them if he had stayed.
2. The fee for Sissoko is just ridiculous for the player he is and where our squad is at. He is not going to be a first team starter ahead of any out of Dembele, Dier and Wanyama. So he is looking at League and FA cup games and minutes off the bench here and there. Within 3 months he will be bitching and looking for a move.
3. The thing we didn't do ... bring in someone who can challenge Eriksen. That is where the Sissoko money (fee and wages, which are probably stupid) should have gone.

NKoudou will likely be the one that Eriksen will be looking over his shoulder at. This kid is good to go now, and offers one thing we are void on and that direct pace down the left hand side.

I agree with your underlying sentiment, however we aren't City, 30 million on said player means less for the next player; I think this is their main gripe.

Think the timing and execution of Sissoko's signing, probably eclipsed the rest of our business. Paying £30 mill when some people were on the pitch, is horrifically un-Levy -like.
The argument is well documented about value for money etc. but I really don't like the pre badge kissing of his opening statement. If you did want a big club, CL football, the opportunity to grow etc. etc. why wait until the eleventh hour of the last day.
Anyone wanting all that, that badly, would have been all over his Agent's daily, eight o' clock, Day one.
Yes, he is a talent, and he will probably become a fan's favourite, but spare us the 'Coming Home' saccharine. As Harry Callaghan once said, " Don't piss down my neck, and tell me it's raining."

I'm a bit confused on this one.

Are you trying to say he wasn't vocal enough about wanting a move?

To put this 30m debate to bed the reports emerging today suggest we've done a deal where we pay 6m for every year of his 5 year contract. If he leaves after 2 we pay 12m. If true levy is a genius. Like to think he fucked Ashley on the fine print on that. Would be brilliant.

I absolutely love that the price tag has riled the happy clappers.

Back
Top Bottom