StubHub

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking twats out there.
That ticket will likely go to some rich foreign tourist who Follows a certain player rather than the club.

How can arseholes like that sleep at night, profiteering from fellow fans? Makes my blood boil.

Totally agree. I wouldn't even be against paying slightly over the odds as a gesture of goodwill to the right person, but such blatant profiteering is disgusting. Claims he 'can't make' the game. But still wants to make hundreds from it. Dickhead.

Echo much of what has been said

Losing 10% of the value is hardly an issue unless your flogging loads of tickets every year.

If you're buying a ticket at the start of the season and thinking "I won't get that money back" then you shouldn't have one in the first place

No surprise the atmosphere is sometimes shit when season ticket holders cherry pick games and flog their tickets for over the odds to daytrippers

Last edited:
For me the issue is Stub Hub itself. The Stub Hub process loads up the fees on sales which means to sell a ticket at face value requires the seller to list it below face value to get their money back and also ( I might be wrong ) is there then not a buyers premium added on when you purchase ? That's totally unfair and adds a lot of the anger to this debate.

The reality is that any kind of return / resale process involving the club would = overhead charges. No business is going to take that on when a company like Stub Hub will pay the club to take on the burden.

Did Spurs do something in capping the resale prices last year ? If yes, was it enough ? Probably not, but then I'd suspect their contract with Stub Hub prevented too much market interference.

It is often missed in this argument that some games have tickets under face value, so that is a huge positive for some fans. Friends of mine had tickets near us for £25 last season where as my season ticket cost was closer to £50. So it's not a one way street. Sure if you want to see Woolwich it's going to cost a premium, but in that case the actual available tickets are less and we all know supply / demand and pricing increases go hand in hand.

Once we are at Wembley and the new stadium this is a non issue anyway. You will have people giving tickets away, as happened for the Champions League matches.

I am lucky in that if I can't go to a game I have friends who will take my ticket. So I don't have to use Stub Hub. I can understand why it is emotive as a process, it's flawed.

In response to some of the other points made I feel it needs to be said that sometimes it happens that you can't always attend every game as a Season ticket holder as life gets in the way of attending. That is not a reason to attack fellow fans, as some have.

As an example my Daughter was born on a day we played Man Pooh and while comedy value could suggest I should have gone Spurs regardless, no way is that realistic.

I've also missed games due to weddings, illness and family issues. Attacking someone for failure to attend Spurs for these reasons is frankly laughable. Just because we are season ticket holders we are not immune from wider events.

And attacking fellow fans due to their age ( "Old Boys" - "Same old Miserible pricks") is out of order. You would not attack anyone for their Skin colour so why do agest comments become acceptable, even if light touch ? If you are young now and if you are very lucky, one day you will be older and at that point you might understand how that feels. Until then best to avoid the young v old fan narrative.

For me the issue is Stub Hub itself. The Stub Hub process loads up the fees on sales which means to sell a ticket at face value requires the seller to list it below face value to get their money back and also ( I might be wrong ) is there then not a buyers premium added on when you purchase ? That's totally unfair and adds a lot of the anger to this debate.

The reality is that any kind of return / resale process involving the club would = overhead charges. No business is going to take that on when a company like Stub Hub will pay the club to take on the burden.

Did Spurs do something in capping the resale prices last year ? If yes, was it enough ? Probably not, but then I'd suspect their contract with Stub Hub prevented too much market interference.

It is often missed in this argument that some games have tickets under face value, so that is a huge positive for some fans. Friends of mine had tickets near us for £25 last season where as my season ticket cost was closer to £50. So it's not a one way street. Sure if you want to see Woolwich it's going to cost a premium, but in that case the actual available tickets are less and we all know supply / demand and pricing increases go hand in hand.

Once we are at Wembley and the new stadium this is a non issue anyway. You will have people giving tickets away, as happened for the Champions League matches.

I am lucky in that if I can't go to a game I have friends who will take my ticket. So I don't have to use Stub Hub. I can understand why it is emotive as a process, it's flawed.

In response to some of the other points made I feel it needs to be said that sometimes it happens that you can't always attend every game as a Season ticket holder as life gets in the way of attending. That is not a reason to attack fellow fans, as some have.

As an example my Daughter was born on a day we played Man Pooh and while comedy value could suggest I should have gone Spurs regardless, no way is that realistic.

I've also missed games due to weddings, illness and family issues. Attacking someone for failure to attend Spurs for these reasons is frankly laughable. Just because we are season ticket holders we are not immune from wider events.

And attacking fellow fans due to their age ( "Old Boys" - "Same old Miserible pricks") is out of order. You would not attack anyone for their Skin colour so why do agest comments become acceptable, even if light touch ? If you are young now and if you are very lucky, one day you will be older and at that point you might understand how that feels. Until then best to avoid the young v old fan narrative.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here with the last paragraph. It's not old v new, it's people who take for granted the privilege that they may have.

I respect any spurs fun no matter the age. What I don't respect is people who leave with 10 mins to go. Yes there might be some circumnstances ( family- mid week match or train times home) but It happens week in, week out.

The worst was West Ham 3 v 2 when I literally had the whole row of seats to run around like a mad man and celebrate as everyone else fucked off. This was a Saturday evening night match against west ham for fuck sake!

I think you have the wrong end of the stick here with the last paragraph. It's not old v new, it's people who take for granted the privilege that they may have.

I respect any spurs fun no matter the age. What I don't respect is people who leave with 10 mins to go. Yes there might be some circumnstances ( family- mid week match or train times home) but It happens week in, week out.

The worst was West Ham 3 v 2 when I literally had the whole row of seats to run around like a mad man and celebrate as everyone else fucked off. This was a Saturday evening night match against west ham for fuck sake!

It's easy to misread context on a forum post, so if I am being sensitive to the age issue then ok.

as a general rule leaving early is not wise nor necessary and I agree with your sentiments there.

I think we all accept that there are well and good reasons for a season ticket holder to miss a game, but that is a consideration that you should consider when taking out the season ticket in the first place. As far as I am concerned you pay for your ticket it is up to you how often you attend, but I don't believe you should be able to sell the ticket on at even face value let alone for a profit.
I think I am right in saying season ticket holders can only put tickets on stubhub when all general admission tickets have sold out so if we are stuck with the same system next season, assuming we are at Wembley, I cannot see many games selling out so season tickets will not be the cash cow they are currently for one season at least!

I think we should accept that there is no perfect solution to the reselling of tickets. The club could forbid it of course - and enforce by ID checks - but then there would be empty seats at times and who wants the aggro of it. Besides - with the new stadium and Wembley up next, both with substantially bigger capacities and presumably lower demand for seriously overpriced tickets - why bother about StubHub prices for the last few games of this season ?

Stubhub is shit. The fees are high and everyone pays them to perform a task that could likely be done another way. That being said, it is a safe, quick way to get a ticket. I am coming overseas in April and got tickets for Bournemouth for my family, but stood no chance for the Woolwich match. I will be on there everyday to try and secure a ticket for April 30th. How else would I go about securing a ticket that is safe and guaranteed? In North America paying a premium via Stubhub and other agenciesw is normal, it is wrong on a lot of levels, but it can get you in the building, which is all that counts sometimes.

Nothing will convince me that it's OK to overprice tickets for another Spurs supporter, no matter what the game is. I can't believe that people haven't got friends or family who wouldn't jump at the chance at attending a game that you can't make. It may not be illegal but it should be made so. I think it's immoral. StubHub is just a legalised touting system, no different to the individual on the street. I feel the same about people who buy a bunch of concert tickets, especially charity gigs, just to sell at an extortionate price. Maybe we should go back to the old-fashioned way and you just queue up and you can only buy one ticket, that would stop a lot of this nonsense.

Well no. Many who go to matches are working class and the difference between a £70 ticket and a £150 ticket can flat out stop them going, and that's not fair.
In fairness, in the same sentence, he does say that "it is wrong on a lot of levels". Bit cheeky with your selective quoting IMHO.

It looks like we're all pretty consistent in disliking the SH system, both as STHs and otherwise. I'm a STH but can't currently go to every game, due to family reasons. I waited a long time to get one so I'm keen to keep it. Whilst it is a privilege, it isn't exactly one that I've inherited or got for free. I pay a lot up front and I've gone to a lot of games over many years to get there.

This season is a freak so it's easy to pass on tickets to fellow fans. Personally, when I do sell I look to recover £40 per ticket as that is basically what my ST works out as (a bit more in truth) and my tickets are usually snapped up in 5 minutes. Last season, there were two games where I sold for £20 just to pass them on. I don't have a problem with that. It's my reward and so my risk too. The problem I do have is that SH take a huge cut from both the seller and buyer, which, combined, are probably worth 30-50% of the face value of a ticket, on average.

Ticket Exchange was much better and much fairer. However, Stubhub is the only safe, official channel, as utterly cunty and despicable they are.

We're all being screwed by SH and the focus of any frustration on our official secondary market should be solely there.

I'm sure there must be another "community" type way of "selling" a ticket for a match you can't get to. Stub hub is fucking evil. And the people who use it have no community spirit at all. I'd have no objection to paying face value plus reasonable expenses. By reasonable I don't mean 3x face value as that is pure profiteering. Postage etc is fine, but it's a merciless cunt that seeks to turn over a profit at the expense of a fellow fan. Shame on any cunt that does that shit.

As discussed, much of the problem stems from fees charged by the club and stub hub, think it's 12.5% each, total 25%, so for a £40 ticket, the STH has to sell for £50 to break even.

Been a STH for a few years, moved away this year, so sell a lot. Walked into the park lane during the Jol era, but unfortunately, the areas a bit rowdy for my old man. So have made way over to the Paxton, via the shelf.

Problem is, the atmosphere there is so damn boring at times, honestly, I'd rather sell the tickets. Me and my brother head to PL for cup games, but for league we're stuck, so truth be told, sell a lot. Call us cunts, but value isn't there for all games, rather sell it to someone who wants to attend, even if it is a tourist, as it's uncomfortable to sing anyway, so a tourist will make nowt difference. There's no atmosphere to add to.

Anyway, we're not going to get rid, as we'll miss out on Wembley trips, priority over members for away days, Europe etc, and it's just easier to keep, sell what we don't want, go to games we do. Cherry pickers if you will. (Cunts I hear some of you shout).

Finally though, the first season we first used stub hub, we priced accordingly, and took a hit, essentially paid the 25% fees, courteous of other fans. However, we found out that our tickets were resold at a premium, by other 'fans', so thought fuck it, we're not selling for others to profit. We tried to do the right thing, but there's too many ways to corrupt. So we add a bit of a premium on. We have 2 seats together right behind the goal, so seats are in demand. Particularly by tourists I'd imagine.

Anyway, we pretty much make our money back, plus go to 6/7 home, guaranteed semi final/final tickets, we go away and Europe with our loyalty points, so all in all why would we get rid of them?
we know this is unfair, have discussed what to do many a time, but we're not going to let others profit. If we knew for sure the tickets were going in the right hands, we wouldn't do what we do. But we don't. And as long as this system is in place, we'll continue to do what we're doing now.

We've often said we can't believe the club doesn't take your ticket away if you miss/sell a certain amount of games. But at the end of the day, they make another 12.5% on what we sell, so don't really think they give a shit, truth be told.

In response to some of the other points made I feel it needs to be said that sometimes it happens that you can't always attend every game as a Season ticket holder as life gets in the way of attending. That is not a reason to attack fellow fans, as some have..
What about the season ticket holder that emigrated and each year sells it to another season ticket holder, for him to sell each game on at a profit?
How many tickets a season is ok to sell on (at £150 each)
5?
10?
20?
I agree it's a good tool to enable a season ticket holder to sell on his seat once in a while but some people are literally taking the piss and making serious money out of it.

What about the season ticket holder that emigrated and each year sells it to another season ticket holder, for him to sell each game on at a profit?
5?
10?
20?
I agree it's a good tool to enable a season ticket holder to sell on his seat once in a while but some people are literally taking the piss and making serious money out of it.
And plenty do that without even emigrating!

5?
10?
20?
Don't disagree. But plenty also don't make money back and have over the years lost lots through club run schemes. I don't know what the answer is to the problem. Perhaps the problem goes away when supply out numbers demand, which it will very soon anyway.

As discussed, much of the problem stems from fees charged by the club and stub hub, think it's 12.5% each, total 25%, so for a £40 ticket, the STH has to sell for £50 to break even.

Been a STH for a few years, moved away this year, so sell a lot. Walked into the park lane during the Jol era, but unfortunately, the areas a bit rowdy for my old man. So have made way over to the Paxton, via the shelf.

Problem is, the atmosphere there is so damn boring at times, honestly, I'd rather sell the tickets. Me and my brother head to PL for cup games, but for league we're stuck, so truth be told, sell a lot. Call us cunts, but value isn't there for all games, rather sell it to someone who wants to attend, even if it is a tourist, as it's uncomfortable to sing anyway, so a tourist will make nowt difference. There's no atmosphere to add to.

Anyway, we're not going to get rid, as we'll miss out on Wembley trips, priority over members for away days, Europe etc, and it's just easier to keep, sell what we don't want, go to games we do. Cherry pickers if you will. (Cunts I hear some of you shout).

Finally though, the first season we first used stub hub, we priced accordingly, and took a hit, essentially paid the 25% fees, courteous of other fans. However, we found out that our tickets were resold at a premium, by other 'fans', so thought fuck it, we're not selling for others to profit. We tried to do the right thing, but there's too many ways to corrupt. So we add a bit of a premium on. We have 2 seats together right behind the goal, so seats are in demand. Particularly by tourists I'd imagine.

Anyway, we pretty much make our money back, plus go to 6/7 home, guaranteed semi final/final tickets, we go away and Europe with our loyalty points, so all in all why would we get rid of them?
we know this is unfair, have discussed what to do many a time, but we're not going to let others profit. If we knew for sure the tickets were going in the right hands, we wouldn't do what we do. But we don't. And as long as this system is in place, we'll continue to do what we're doing now.

We've often said we can't believe the club doesn't take your ticket away if you miss/sell a certain amount of games. But at the end of the day, they make another 12.5% on what we sell, so don't really think they give a shit, truth be told.

You've said it yourself but what you're doing epitomises the problem. To a degree I don't blame you as given the choice it's almost silly to give away your season ticket when you get priority for games and can make money back.

Simple solution would be to cap the amount you can sell

Back
Top Bottom