StubHub

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stub hub, ticketmaster, viagogo all the same.
Legalised ticket touts who cater for touts and any other would be ticket touts, like ST holders, fans who think it's a good idea to sell a ticket at a massive profit to another.
Any ST holder who cannot go to the game should be able to sell the ticket, through the club at the face value of that ticket.
Preferably to another member first.

I hate myself for it but I could see myself going through StubHub to try to get a ticket for Woolwich. Hoping there actually is a price limit.
Limit is £150. However, if there are enough people actually willing to pay that much then you might have a hard job even finding tickets available at that price - they could get snapped up very quickly

The club's partnership with this company is indefensible.
What I don't get is why not build an in- house solution if our own. Don't see the point to outsource. New stadium is a chance to re-set everything about ticketing. I'd use this opportunity to bring in retina scanning for entry, it will stop the Spurs fans selling tickets and stop the touts. Build an online ticket exchange owned an run by club, no longer have paper tickets, which means no postage fees, no admin fees. Encourage fans to hand tickets back by by making a percentage available for schools or others deserving e.g. Armed forces, disabled, terminally ill etc. Those that fail to turn up to matches having paid will be fined or lose their ST.

What I don't get is why not build an in- house solution if our own. Don't see the point to outsource. New stadium is a chance to re-set everything about ticketing. I'd use this opportunity to bring in retina scanning for entry, it will stop the Spurs fans selling tickets and stop the touts. Build an online ticket exchange owned an run by club, no longer have paper tickets, which means no postage fees, no admin fees. Encourage fans to hand tickets back by by making a percentage available for schools or others deserving e.g. Armed forces, disabled, terminally ill etc. Those that fail to turn up to matches having paid will be fined or lose their ST.
We had an in-house solution before. ST holders who couldn't attend told the club, and were refunded the face value of that match minus 10%. Then the ticket was put up for sale on the official site at face value again. Worked perfectly. This is absolutely the model we need to go back to.

Retina scanning (or something similar such as needing to show photo ID matching name on ticket) would be hated by a huge number of fans - one, because it would seem overly intrusive to privacy; and two, because of the huge numbers of people who either loan a mate their season ticket when they can't go, or benefit from being loaned a season ticket when their mate can't go. Not to mention the fact that it would slow down entry to the ground hugely and would almost certainly lead to confrontational situations at the turnstiles.

As for being fined or losing your ST for not turning up, that's never gonna fly. Imagine you're driving to the match and you have a car accident so can't make it, or if your wife or kid gets hospitalised the morning of a match... a fine or a loss of an ST would be an almighty extra kick in the balls when you're down. If you fail to turn up, all that should happen should be a deduction of 3-5 loyalty points.

Im sure I read somewhere that the current stubhub deal ends in May. Hopefully the club are aware how unhappy fans are with it and they take the resale of tickets back in house. I suppose ST holders will argue they have paid for the ticket and it is up to them how often they attend which is fair enough but if when we are in the new stadium there is still a big waiting list for ST's I think ST's must be seen to be active to be retained for the following season. IE can be resold for a maximum five times and the access card scanned at least 10 times during a season.

We had an in-house solution before. ST holders who couldn't attend told the club, and were refunded the face value of that match minus 10%. Then the ticket was put up for sale on the official site at face value again. Worked perfectly. This is absolutely the model we need to go back to.

Retina scanning (or something similar such as needing to show photo ID matching name on ticket) would be hated by a huge number of fans - one, because it would seem overly intrusive to privacy; and two, because of the huge numbers of people who either loan a mate their season ticket when they can't go, or benefit from being loaned a season ticket when their mate can't go. Not to mention the fact that it would slow down entry to the ground hugely and would almost certainly lead to confrontational situations at the turnstiles.

As for being fined or losing your ST for not turning up, that's never gonna fly. Imagine you're driving to the match and you have a car accident so can't make it, or if your wife or kid gets hospitalised the morning of a match... a fine or a loss of an ST would be an almighty extra kick in the balls when you're down. If you fail to turn up, all that should happen should be a deduction of 3-5 loyalty points.
Yep I'm aware of the old scheme and I want to see it back.

I get and completely understand your comments about a retina scan and privacy (there are privacy laws that exist and protect the individual) but it is the only way to ensure the actual ticket holder goes to the game. It is the only way to ensure ST's are genuine and are not held by touts or by genuine fans who hold multiple ST's with some used as the sole purpose to re-sell (we all know someone that does this, I have at least 5 mates that do it!). If there is a slick, easy incentivised system in place then it doesn't matter about loaning your seat to a mate if you can't make a game (I do this whenever I can't make a game, it goes to a mate or a family member) but they will still get one through a fair well balanced system, so no looses out. You only have to look at the scum and now West Ham to see what happens when people don't turn up, there is an empty seat. This means someone who would love to go is denied the opportunity to go because the ticket holder is too lazy, too rich, couldn't give a fuck, isn't a fan of the club anyway. Are you aware that Bayern fans who do not turn up to a number of games (there is a certain number of games but don't know how many times) lose their ST if they fail to turn up. One off's like traffic or emergency's are taken into account. Also as for getting in and delays, we are all searched now on entry anyway, there are delays.

On a whole new twist and nothing to do with the ticketing allocation "problem": In light of recent terrorist attacks would you feel safer knowing that ticket holders have been scanned and are who they say they are? Given our links to the jewish society hasn't ever crossed your mind that out of all the clubs in the western world both us and Ajax would be at the top of the list?

Stub hub, ticketmaster, viagogo all the same.

They are very clever. When Depeche Mode tickets went on sale i was straight on Google to buy a pair. The first 4 or 5 sites to come up were re-sale sites with tickets at £90. I was tempted (assuming they must have already sold out) but waited until i got to work & tried Ticketmaster. They still had plenty of tickets left at face value (£40-£45).

Crooks the lot of them.

Yep I'm aware of the old scheme and I want to see it back.

I get and completely understand your comments about a retina scan and privacy (there are privacy laws that exist and protect the individual) but it is the only way to ensure the actual ticket holder goes to the game. It is the only way to ensure ST's are genuine and are not held by touts or by genuine fans who hold multiple ST's with some used as the sole purpose to re-sell (we all know someone that does this, I have at least 5 mates that do it!). If there is a slick, easy incentivised system in place then it doesn't matter about loaning your seat to a mate if you can't make a game (I do this whenever I can't make a game, it goes to a mate or a family member) but they will still get one through a fair well balanced system, so no looses out. You only have to look at the scum and now West Ham to see what happens when people don't turn up, there is an empty seat. This means someone who would love to go is denied the opportunity to go because the ticket holder is too lazy, too rich, couldn't give a fuck, isn't a fan of the club anyway. Are you aware that Bayern fans who do not turn up to a number of games (there is a certain number of games but don't know how many times) lose their ST if they fail to turn up. One off's like traffic or emergency's are taken into account. Also as for getting in and delays, we are all searched now on entry anyway, there are delays.

On a whole new twist and nothing to do with the ticketing allocation "problem": In light of recent terrorist attacks would you feel safer knowing that ticket holders have been scanned and are who they say they are? Given our links to the jewish society hasn't ever crossed your mind that out of all the clubs in the western world both us and Ajax would be at the top of the list?
Yeah I'm a bit torn on the idea of retina scan/showing ID. I do want to see people who deserve tickets getting tickets, and people who don't deserve them not getting them. I've benefited massively from using others' STs over the years too, but I'd prefer to see a system where I didn't need to do this (given that I have a lot of LPs as a Bronze but sometimes have missed out in the ballot this year or have not been able to get online at the right time to buy tickets due to work in seasons gone by). I think that at some point in the future, we'll need to be using that kind of model.
But - and it's a big but - I would really fear for the backlash from fans that would come. I think we'd see lots of lifelong fans being alienated by it, and I think we'd see lots of fans annoyed that when previously they'd been able to sit with their mates, they'd now have to most likely sit on their own. Big groups of mates used to sitting/standing together and singing would be split up all over the ground, and it could have a big effect on matchday atmosphere. If the club do want to go down this road, they'll need to be very careful how they do it - phase in the changes over a number of seasons, engage with fans and the Trust at every step along the way and communicate very openly on it.

They are very clever. When Depeche Mode tickets went on sale i was straight on Google to buy a pair. The first 4 or 5 sites to come up were re-sale sites with tickets at £90. I was tempted (assuming they must have already sold out) but waited until i got to work & tried Ticketmaster. They still had plenty of tickets left at face value (£40-£45).

Crooks the lot of them.
Always go through the official website of the band/event/venue for gig tickets - they'll take you to the official face value seller. Google won't!

Yeah I'm a bit torn on the idea of retina scan/showing ID. I do want to see people who deserve tickets getting tickets, and people who don't deserve them not getting them. I've benefited massively from using others' STs over the years too, but I'd prefer to see a system where I didn't need to do this (given that I have a lot of LPs as a Bronze but sometimes have missed out in the ballot this year or have not been able to get online at the right time to buy tickets due to work in seasons gone by). I think that at some point in the future, we'll need to be using that kind of model.
But - and it's a big but - I would really fear for the backlash from fans that would come. I think we'd see lots of lifelong fans being alienated by it, and I think we'd see lots of fans annoyed that when previously they'd been able to sit with their mates, they'd now have to most likely sit on their own. Big groups of mates used to sitting/standing together and singing would be split up all over the ground, and it could have a big effect on matchday atmosphere. If the club do want to go down this road, they'll need to be very careful how they do it - phase in the changes over a number of seasons, engage with fans and the Trust at every step along the way and communicate very openly on it.
Interesting comments in your last para that I hadn't thought of from that perspective. For me that problem exists right now and this is my biggest issue I complain about aside of Stubhub touting. I haven't watched a Spurs game with a mate or a family member in 20yrs (I'm twisting that a bit I was able to do that this year at Wembley for CL and EL games). We all have our own ST's spread out in all four corners/stands of the stadium. We meet for a pre-match or post-match drink but haven't sat next to each other at WHL in 20yrs! I have never watched a game with my Mrs and she is an ST holder. My sons and daughters, half my nice and nephews have season ST's never once sat with them. I see the new stadium as an opportunity for us all to buy together (including friends it could number 30 of us!!!!!).

Interesting comments in your last para that I hadn't thought of from that perspective. For me that problem exists right now and this is my biggest issue I complain about aside of Stubhub touting. I haven't watched a Spurs game with a mate or a family member in 20yrs (I'm twisting that a bit I was able to do that this year at Wembley for CL and EL games). We all have our own ST's spread out in all four corners/stands of the stadium. We meet for a pre-match or post-match drink but haven't sat next to each other at WHL in 20yrs! I have never watched a game with my Mrs and she is an ST holder. My sons and daughters, half my nice and nephews have season ST's never once sat with them. I see the new stadium as an opportunity for us all to buy together (including friends it could number 30 of us!!!!!).
Fair enough - can't believe you've never asked the ticket office to try and move you together in all that time though, I'm sure they'd have been able to do something!

Fair enough - can't believe you've never asked the ticket office to try and move you together in all that time though, I'm sure they'd have been able to do something!
Indeed. There is a window at renewal time that is specifically for this. I'm sure they'd listen at any time, too.

Never thought I could to be fair, just gone along like sheep accepting our lot. Think the thought/hope of the new stadium is in the back of our minds that we will not have to wait too long and waiting for that to address it. (it's also been complicated by some of us buying the low end corp/exec packages instead of a regal ST, waiting 10yrs or so on the fucking waiting list).

If the club facilitates this kind of skulduggery, then it's the club that should put a stop to it. And people who make a coin out of hoarding season tickets for resale to fans, at an inflated price, are cunts in my opinion. There is nothing worse than seeing tickets at 3x face value being sold off when there are lifelong fans who'd love nothing more than to go to the game, but are being priced out of it. Those tickets still sell. Often to touristy types who add nothing to (& often negatively affect) the atmosphere - sitting there all afternoon with their mobile phones out, taking selfies- to show their mates that they spent £150 (plus) going to see Spurs during their holiday here.

Bottom line though...the club endorses stubhub. And some of our "fans" are making money on the side from fellow fans, or betraying fellow fans to sell to the highest bidder, whoever that may be.

Im sure I read somewhere that the current stubhub deal ends in May. Hopefully the club are aware how unhappy fans are with it and they take the resale of tickets back in house. I suppose ST holders will argue they have paid for the ticket and it is up to them how often they attend which is fair enough but if when we are in the new stadium there is still a big waiting list for ST's I think ST's must be seen to be active to be retained for the following season. IE can be resold for a maximum five times and the access card scanned at least 10 times during a season.

Personally I think thats bollocks.

It's not an asset to be bartered with, if you can't go you sell it face value back to the club/another supporter. If you consistently can't go then don't buy one and let someone else who can get the ticket. The fact you've gone the last ten years is irrelevant imo, there may be thousands of people in the queue who would love to go every week and will do for the next 10 years but can't because some bloke is funding his own season ticket by selling his old mans old ticket or similar.

Alot of the issues we have around ticketing are because people just sit on them or use them for profit

Back
Top Bottom