Stoke away - please read the OP

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People are asking how he could miss so many obvious fuckups....

I'm telling you now, nearly all of the worst decisions came after he game the Modric pen, the home fans got on his back and he bottled it completely, he was clearly trying to 'balance' it up in his eyes. Referees always do this along with whenever they doint give a pen in a big match and the crowd are going nuts, they give a foul within 30 seconds, as if to get themselves out of trouble, im amazed people dont pick up on it.

first things first, I'm never going to be optimistic again. I'm sorry to all spurs fans out there, this is clearly my fault.

However, just in case it's not entirely my fault:

1. Chris Foy is the obvious route of our frustrations. He made some truly shocking decisions including giving the Modric penalty. I don't claim to be a referee but whether through luck of judgement I called all the main decisions correctly in my opinion (not big headed just pointing out they were all fairly easy decisions) and Modric was a dive but we should've had two other penalties, Woodgate should've seen red in the first half and Adebayor's goal wasn't offside (which was down to the linesman not Foy). Yes he had a shocker and I'd expect him to be dropped/reprimanded for his performance but this is important, it wasn't Foy's fault that we were 2-0 down at half time.

2. Thankfully due to another thread on this forum I can say I was against vdV starting. I know we all try to be tactical geniuses but the thought process of vdV being good in this sort of game I struggle with. Firstly NO PLAYER, should ever walk straight back into the team if their replacement is playing well in a team playing well and winning. Secondly, Stoke always play a flat back 4 and rarely to their full backs push on which means you need players to move their defenders about so the likes of Bale, Lennon, Modric, vdV etc can find space. With only Adebayor up front and vdV drifting deeper than Scott Parker as he always does we were left with 1 striker isolated against 2 central defenders and two full backs with nothing to worry about with regards to Bale and Lennon because they always had cover from their midfielder.

We played so much better in the second half with two strikers. I don't know how many times I've got to say this before people realise. It's not about Defoe v vdV. Of course if it was, vdV would win because he's the better player, it's about 4411 v 442 or variant of.

3. Credit to Redknapp who made some bold changes in the second half that paid off. I'm guessing those changes wouldn't have come had we only been trailing 1-0 but benefit of the doubt shows he's learning to be brave which I like.

At the end of the day it was one of those games. Had the ref only made half the mistakes he did we would've got a point out of it which could be very important come May but it's how we perform from this point on. If we now go on a similar run to the one we've just ended I doubt anyone will worry about today's performance(first half)/result.

Just please for the love of all things Louise Redknapp, can we STOP PLAYING 4411. I don't care which individuals play, I really don't. I couldn't give a shit if vdV never plays for us again or plays every minute of every game for the rest of his hamstring ruptured career, I'm just tired of watching us make the same mistakes over and over again. If we play in that formation vdV 100% must stay close to Adebayor.

Onwards and upwards, bring on the rejuvenated Sunderland who only just managed to beat Blackburn at home.

Good post, agree about Luka. Even if the player has 'left his foot there', it wasn't enough to bring him over. I hate decisions like that, a pen should be for if a defender has caused the attacker to go down with REAL contact. Shame on you Luka.

Having said that, it just adds to the LOOONG list of decisions that prick got wrong.

Fuck off back to Hollyoaks, Chris Foy.

eggsoakley said:
Never shame on a player who was stupidly baited with a leg. Professional footballer should never dangle a leg without real intent in the box.

couldn't agree more, but still not a penalty in my eyes. The way I judge penalties and general decisions is how would I feel if it was at the other end. Personally I'd be screaming dive. You're right that nowadays it's probably a penalty although the fact it's debatable suggests to me that it shouldn't have been given. Penalties are usually fairly obvious or should be to be given and that one I don't think was. The pull back on Gallas and the handball on the line I thought were both obvious and how both Foy and the assistant referee missed them both is bewildering.

Back from my first Spurs game in about 6 years. I know, I'm sorry. I did my best. Thought I'd give my summary even though most of it has been said before.

First 15 minutes or so Stoke always looked more like scoring. Didn't see Crouch's handball in the build up but I've heard there was one. Still, it was one of those typical goals Spurs concede where the ball is in the box for ages without anyone taking decisive action. There was a lot of that in defence, and we gave the ball away cheaply. When we did manage to keep possession we struggled to get it into dangerous areas (credit Stoke's defending I guess), and when we did put crosses in only Adebayor seemed to attack the box. We had a few decent long range shots, but only one of them really troubled Sorenson. Movement was a bit static and we needed half time to instill some desire and focus back into the team, but then suddenly Stoke were 2 up without really having done that much, at least since the start of the half.

At this point I couldn't see us getting any result, and that 3-0 Stoke was more likely. I tried telling myself that this is new Spurs, we're never THAT bad these days, so I thought maybe we'd scramble to a 2-1 loss instead... Interesting substitutions, seemed to work - probably more about shape than personnel (Benny hadn't been at his best mind).

Still, after 15 minutes we weren't much closer to getting back in the game, until the penalty. My first reaction was that Modric had dived, though I've not seen it again. Surprised to see Ade step up to take it but assumed that this confidence was a good sign. It was. This set up a fantastic finale. Our fans were suddenly right up for it, as were out players. I really couldn't see us not scoring again, and even reckoned we might be slight favourites to win it. Balls fizzed across the box, shots were save or deflected behind, defenders were skinned, it was an exciting time for us. Parker went down in the box, but I never expected it to be given, especially so soon after the penalty. Kaboul was clearly fouled soon after, which was a stonewaller as far as I could see, then Ade scored and it felt great (for a couple of seconds) I wasn't surprised to see the offside flag, but having seen it since... wow, what an atrocious decision. Couldn't really see the handball on the line but apparently that was blatant too.

As for Kaboul's sending off, my first reaction was that he got the ball, so I was annoyed at even a free kick. I was however at the other end of the pitch so I assumed it was probably a good decision - I've since heard that both yellow were dubious. The sending off killed our chances really, and having expected all 3 results at various points in the game, it really felt disappointing to lose (the one game I go to ends our winning run. Gutted). It was nice to see a performance in the second half though.

I left feeling aggrieved at the ref, who seemed to give us nothing except the penalty - including two of the worst goal kick/corner decisions I've ever seen. I soon found out from the car radio about some of the things I'd missed, turning a bad officiating display into an abysmal one.

I also had to agree with another point raised on 606 a lot - Stoke's time wasting. Each throw in took at least 30 seconds to take - and it was exactly the same for corners, goal kicks, and even kicks out of hand. They got away with a solitary yellow card in the end. However ugly their style of play, at least it's mostly legal. This was stretching the rules to breaking point.

Anyway, speech over. A win next week and all is rosy again. And better hope Chelsea don't win tomorrow.

kPDBI.gif

Good write up, boxbat.

I'm not going to see Spurs live again. I prefer them on the tv/computer when they win all the time.

Case said:
Good write up, boxbat.

I'm not going to see Spurs live again. I prefer them on the tv/computer when they win all the time.

Cheers. Incidentally I have a 100% record of seeing Spurs win at the Lane, and a 100% loss record away (albeit those statistics only cover 5 games and the 2 away grounds - the Britannia and Old Trafford), so I wan't to go to another home game and even up the score.

Crouch Handball (still 0-0)

Modric Penalty (still 1-0)

Kaboul Penalty (Maybe 1-1 Shawcross Yellow)

Handball on line/
Adebayor Offside (Maybe 1 - 2)

So, we going for a draw tomorrow night? I'd rather keep the nice little gap between us and Chelsea, so happy for a Man City win - we are some way behind them and unless the wheels completely fall off I realistically can't see us catching them.

They also play Woolwich at home next weekend. If they win these two and we beat Sunderland, Given a Man Utd and Chelsea win.. then

1 Manchester City 16 44
2 Manchester United 16 39
3 Tottenham Hotspur 15 34
5 Chelsea 16 31
4 Woolwich 16 29

Then, if we do Chelsea a few days later we could be 6 points above them with a game in hand still.

Woolwich are away at Villa so potentially could be 5 points behind us... with us having the game in hand

Jeezzz... if Foy wasn't such a cock we could have realistically been 9 points clear in 3rd with a game in hand at Christmas.... sigh

Back
Top Bottom