Standing still is falling behind

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We will be fine, virtually every season under Poch we haven't found our rhythm until about the end of September - might take even longer this season as we are starting from a poorer level of fitness.

OK, let's say hypothetically we have peaked...

Isn't it a crying shame that so many spent the last few years bitching instead of enjoying the moment(s).

I think its ridiculous to say we have peaked......2 weeks ago Dele and Kane were "evolving their games and becoming mature and more all rounded"

Lose two, and we´ve come as far as we can?

One day we´re knackered, the next we´ve peaked......

On our day, this squad can win the title. We need to get our shit together, and play as well as we did for most of the last three seasons. Get the confidence up.
We are stronger now, with Moura, Lamela, Winks and Wanyama....Toby adding depth in defence too.

I still maintain we have the second best squad in the PL......but when our key players are playing at rock bottom level, obviously we look like shit.
This team won our CL group, took 4pts of the CL winners, scored two at Juve after they hadnt conceded at home in half a year....came 3rd. Yet its all over after one summer??

We will be fine, virtually every season under Poch we haven't found our rhythm until about the end of September - might take even longer this season as we are starting from a poorer level of fitness.
All of our direct rivals bar Woolwich have improved though - how much is left in the current squad to extract in terms of potential one might ask

All of our direct rivals bar Woolwich have improved though - how much is left in the current squad to extract in terms of potential one might ask

I don't think they all have, and I think we will look just as good for the majority of the season.

Every year we have the same meltdown on here at this point in the season......gets very boring, our seasons under Poch have always followed the same pattern.

I don't think they all have, and I think we will look just as good for the majority of the season.

Every year we have the same meltdown on here at this point in the season......gets very boring, our seasons under Poch have always followed the same pattern.
Hope you're right

Said it before - but thank god we started off with 3 wins (with one of those being away at Old Trafford) or it could be a lot more toxic than it seems right now.

9 points from our opening 15 isn't bad.

But we can't really afford many more slip ups. Especially against teams OUTSIDE the top 6.

Said it before - but thank god we started off with 3 wins (with one of those being away at Old Trafford) or it could be a lot more toxic than it seems right now.

9 points from our opening 15 isn't bad.

But we can't really afford many more slip ups. Especially against teams OUTSIDE the top 6.
We got 8 from 5 last year. Its not a crisis.

We got 8 from 5 last year. Its not a crisis.

Yep (Inc a 2-1 home loss to top 6 rival) - then went on to win 4 on the bounce before losing to a club from Manchester.

Our next five fixtures:

Brighton
Huddersfield
Cardiff
West Ham
Manchester City

Eerily similar.

and this is why your views on transfer policy should seldom be listened to.

Listen to yourself. He's a top class centrehalf that's proven to be one of the best in his position in Europe and you wanted him replaced by a kid untested at the level. Baffling levels of stupidity.

I said almost.....Foyth being an untested kid didnt stop people demanding we spend 50M on deLigt though did....
Toby was excellent against Utd, but if Im honest, I was happier with Jan and Sanchez at the back, and with a 4 man defence, that should be our preferred pairing, in my opinion.

Toby to come in and vary it up, thats fine, but I see no point in rearranging the whole backline to accomodate a player who wont be here by next summer, possibly even January.
All this at Sanchez´ expense, and then next season we re shuffle it back.

The relationship he and Jan forged in the last 6 months of the season is being put on hold for a defender that still hasnt comitted and only marginally improves us, if at all. We look shocking defending headers now....something that tends to be less of an issue when Sanchez plays.

Plus, nice spin that I want Foyth to replace Toby.....Not really, as I explained, Sanchez should continue to be the replacement, with Foyth coming in and learning the trade in the cups etc.

So much vitriol......they´re all Spurs players.....Its not like Im saying we should replace Toby with, say, Anthony Martial now is it........................

:pochfacepalm:

Last edited:

It’s fair to ask for some fresh new signings but if the players we have don’t have anything left to give then they should retire. These same players were being linked with Real Madrid, Manchester United etc mere weeks ago. They won 3-0 at Manchester United just a few weeks ago. They are all in their mid twenties and should be entering their peak.

We are just having a dodgy start, like we have had every single season under Poch. It’s nobodys fault that our squad is full of knackered WC semi-finalists that didn’t have a preseason, we just have to get on with it. We’ve done this song and dance about slow starts, Kane not scoring etc many times before and we came through it.

Does Sammy know you can have positive net spend and take on debt? It's not like we let people into the stadium for free, the club makes a lot of money. Surely we should see some of that go to transfers

Thats funny because all the teams you think we should be competeing with havent done that though. They just have a good old net debt:

Chelsea 1.7bn
Woolwich 47M
Liverpool: Bank Loan 72M, Owed to FSG 130M
City 48M (LOOOOOOOOOOL)
Utd 213M

Spurs: PLUS 15M

Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict

I think its ridiculous to say we have peaked......2 weeks ago Dele and Kane were "evolving their games and becoming mature and more all rounded"

Lose two, and we´ve come as far as we can?

One day we´re knackered, the next we´ve peaked......

On our day, this squad can win the title. We need to get our shit together, and play as well as we did for most of the last three seasons. Get the confidence up.
We are stronger now, with Moura, Lamela, Winks and Wanyama....Toby adding depth in defence too.

I still maintain we have the second best squad in the PL......but when our key players are playing at rock bottom level, obviously we look like shit.
This team won our CL group, took 4pts of the CL winners, scored two at Juve after they hadnt conceded at home in half a year....came 3rd. Yet its all over after one summer??
Who has claimed Kane's been maturing and getting better this year?

I wanna know for their own safety.

Thats funny because all the teams you think we should be competeing with havent done that though. They just have a good old net debt:

Chelsea 1.7bn
Woolwich 47M
Liverpool: Bank Loan 72M, Owed to FSG 130M
City 48M (LOOOOOOOOOOL)
Utd 213M

Spurs: PLUS 15M

Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict
I don't think that's a very honest argument considering all our debt will be way more than 185m when it's all said and done.

ENIC money spent on the stadium will eventually be paid off using Tottenham money however you spin it.

Back
Top Bottom