'Stand up if you hate Woolwich'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What does Luka or Rafa or Benny or any of them think if they hear songs like this when we're playing Villa or whoever and the goons are nowhere in site?

In summary, how does it support Spurs?

Re: 'Stand up if you hate a***nal'

Anything that gets the fans going and makes noise is a bonus, I'd rather sing stand up if you love Tottenham but sometimes, singing stand up if you hate Woolwich leads to other songs being sung to drown it out.

Players ain't paid to think, they're paid to win football matches. :akabusi:

Thelonious said:

This is an interesting philosophical point Thelonious, one could be forgiven for thinking they were a law unto themselves most of the time, with the conscientiousness of players existing in inverse proportion to their weekly wages.

02cents.gif

Thelonious said:
Anything that gets the fans going and makes noise is a bonus, I'd rather sing stand up if you love Tottenham but sometimes, singing stand up if you hate a***nal leads to other songs being sung to drown it out.

Nil pence in the pay packet this week then

I'd stand up but they just tore us a new arsehole last weekend. Not just nil pence in the pay packet,they should be deducted 2 weeks' pay for that travesty.

Hating Woolwich is intrinsic to supporting Spurs.

as long as we don't just solely sing hatred songs about the scum, I can't see it being a problem. Going to football matches is as much as about the fans as the players, but I do think that most songs should be in support of the Spurs.

I can't think of any game where we've solely sang about them, at some point during every game the song gets sung but it never really gets going.

As I said, I'd rather stand up if I love Tottenham.

I rarely join in with arse hate songs unless we're playing them. I'd rather forget the nomad, vote promoted shitcunts and concentrate on supporting Spurs.

I'm of two opinions on this one. On the one hand, it makes us look a little small time and negative. One of the absolute first (if not the first) songs that everyone sang at the Barrowboy and Banker was the one referenced in the title of this thread. (I could be wrong, but…) Something felt a bit off about that--the first time I'm lifting my beer with 100 other people is to sing how much I hate Woolwich?

On the other hand, to my ears, it's very similar to the "Yankees suck!" chant that is a mainstay of Red Sox baseball games (whether playing the Yankees or not), and it's one of the few baseball chants that is clearly audible over the television. Its raw simplicity is its charm, and it has been appropriated by countless other teams, and you can even hear it in other sports, like being chanted during a Celtics game.

What "Yankees suck!" does, in baseball, is help unify the hatred of all of the teams for the Yankees. No one likes that team except its fans. (People would argue these days (hi, Chicago Dan!) that the Red Sox are equally unlikable. That is not my brief here.) So its portability and promiscuity are its virtues.

Back in a Spurs context... "Stand up if you hate Woolwich" is how we have exported Woolwich hate to other clubs. Hating Woolwich may be a necessary condition of being a Spurs supporter, but it's not a sufficient one. Spurs have given a gift to the rest of the footballing universe, a means by which they can join us in our battle against evil. And that's just great.

(Incidentally, the older, smaller version of "Yankees suck!" is "Beat L.A.!", which underscores the rivalry between the Boston Celtics and L.A. Lakers. I remember watching a Celtics playoff game on TV--semi-final round--and they're about to be eliminated on their own home court. They would have met LA in the finals. All the same, the stadium erupts with "Beat L.A.!" chants, charging the Celtics' own opponents with the job of doing what the Celtics could not.)

frontwheel said:
I'd rather forget the nomad, vote promoted shitcunts and concentrate on supporting Spurs.

not so easy to forget if you live in spurs enclaves; areas once fully resplendent with the pure white colours of north london's only real club.

now these areas - our ancestral homelands - have been occupied by godless, gormless, gooner scum; with eyebrows that meet in the middle. with their evil flags - guns and cannons; soaked red from the blood of indigenous north london martyrs, fallen as they proteced their territories and all they held dear.

our areas, now reeking from the stench of decades of neglect and mistreatment by uncaring outsiders; with their foreign ways, sexual habits and south london cuisine.

our unsuspecting, innocent local children; seduced by their demonic influences;converted to their idolatrous ways; their north london souls lost, forever.

our local traditions, culture and beliefs systems slowly usurped by marauding hoardes; with no sense of principle, no sense of family, no sense of respect for others or themselves.

so sure... go ahead! forget about the nomads; the ruthless, cheating, invading barbarians.

leave the hating to me.

ZoC said:
frontwheel said:
I'd rather forget the nomad, vote promoted shitcunts and concentrate on supporting Spurs.

not so easy to forget if you live in spurs enclaves; areas once fully resplendent with the pure white colours of north london's only real club.

now these areas - our ancestral homelands - have been occupied by godless, gormless, gooner scum; with eyebrows that meet in the middle. with their evil flags - guns and cannons; soaked red from the blood of indigenous north london martyrs, fallen as they proteced their territories and all they held dear.

our areas, now reeking from the stench of decades of neglect and mistreatment by uncaring outsiders; with their foreign ways, sexual habits and south london cuisine.

our unsuspecting, innocent local children; seduced by their demonic influences;converted to their idolatrous ways; their north london souls lost, forever.

our local traditions, culture and beliefs systems slowly usurped by marauding hoardes; with no sense of principle, no sense of family, no sense of respect for others or themselves.

so sure... go ahead! forget about the nomads; the ruthless, cheating, invading barbarians.

leave the hating to me.

I meant I prefer to (try to) forget them during the other 18 (+ cup) home games.

I agree, forgetting the cunts in day-to-day life is more difficult. I live in Marylebone and work in Clerkenwell, so there's no escape.

ZoC said:
frontwheel said:

leave the hating to me.

Wow you are awesome sir!

Back
Top Bottom