Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
His very good passing out from the back was one of the things getting most comment in preseason. So might well be better. Or at least comparable.

Often plays LCB which is where we are naturally short atm ( and good cover if/when Vertonghen leaves) , but can play RCB as well.
Well I think Big Dav is like Bambi on Fucking Ice, so what I am really asking you is if you think Tanganga has got the potential to dislodge him. Or any of the other senior CBs, Dier included.

By the way, that looked like a 4-2-2-2 to me in the second half today. Is that how it looked to you?

Us or Chelsea ?

I thought we started 4231 and then morphed into a kind of 4141 for the rest of the half with Son and GLC drifting into wider areas with ND and Alli as kind of joint 10/8 hybrids some of the time. I guess once Winks came on it could have been more of a 4222 (I din't spot it if out was), then went 3 at the back, but we were such an incoherent shower of shite that I stopped caring.

Well I think Big Dav is like Bambi on Fucking Ice, so what I am really asking you is if you think Tanganga has got the potential to dislodge him. Or any of the other senior CBs, Dier included.

Potential definitely.

But if he's never played we"ll never find out or develop him to s top standsrd

What I don’t understand is how some of our older players are all being picked for the u20 and u21 England teams , but are not playing any games to prove themselves worthy of their call ups . Which to me means that some international call ups are not being done on merit , as no one has really seen them play of late , which means things are being done a bit back handed ?

What I don’t understand is how some of our older players are all being picked for the u20 and u21 England teams , but are not playing any games to prove themselves worthy of their call ups . Which to me means that some international call ups are not being done on merit , as no one has really seen them play of late , which means things are being done a bit back handed ?

Not sure how much a lot of u20 and u21' players actually pkay

For example if you looked at Phil Foden he's played in a couple of EFL Cup games and about 6 PL matches, but in all bar about one he played a couple of minutes and maybe 15 minutes in the other so less than 30 mins in PL in total plus the EFL games. Pretty sure he doesn't play in youth games either. Yet he is a fixture for u21' squad.

A few of the u20 and u21' are playing regularly but particularly in u20 I suspect it's a minority who are.

So I am guessing that once in a squad you stay provided when call up you look good in training and the couple of games called up for. Plus Skipp and Tanganga have credit in the bank from their 2019 preseason matches with Spurs as well where both looked good

Someone at Spurs clearly not familiar with Spanish naming customs so Yago de Santiago Alonso is 'Santiago' on one official Spurs team sheet and Alonso on the other. Not an expert but having worked in Spanish speaking Mexico I'd back 'Santiago' as being correct.

Good to see Roshaun Mathurin (plays a bit like J'Neil Bennett) on the bench - he joins Dane Scarlett as an u16 playing up.

I'd guess Dennis Cirkin and Harvey White (on bench) are both getting minutes post injury to recapture their form. Both Academy Year 2 players (most of the squad is Academy Year 1) are well thought of and have played u23 football - White was also on the 2019 preseason tour

Really surprised we sent such a young/inexperienced team out against Cheslea, and it sounds like we were totally blown away by a better/more physical team in the first half and that Chelsea took their foot off the pedal in the second half. Pleased that we stuck at it and got some goals back.

I note that Aaron Skinner is not marked as a trialist here whereas he was before. Could be an admin error, but perhaps we've signed him? Transfermarkt think his contract at Bolton ends 30/06/2021 .

Really surprised we sent such a young/inexperienced team out against Cheslea, and it sounds like we were totally blown away by a better/more physical team in the first half and that Chelsea took their foot off the pedal in the second half. Pleased that we stuck at it and got some goals back.

I note that Aaron Skinner is not marked as a trialist here whereas he was before. Could be an admin error, but perhaps we've signed him? Transfermarkt think his contract at Bolton ends 30/06/2021 .

I've assumed that Aaron Skinner played for Bury FC and that when that club ran into financial difficulties and released all its academy players that he became a free agent.

But you are correct there appears to be another at Bolton, who coincidentally ran into financial difficulties but has now been bought and did not release its players. Aaron Skinner - Player profile. I wonder if Transfermarkt is incorrect in this instance as that site shows he transferred from Bury on 1 October 2019 ?

Agree with the Chelsea match. The turnaround coincided with Harvey White coming on at half time. I wonder if its a combination of the midfield in the first half being all good players but more 'silky' than being defensively minded whereas White added a bit of defensive nous plus more experience at u18 (and higher) levels as well as being (imo) a very good player ? Must admit I had feared a 10-0 drubbing at the end of the first half when we were 5-0 down so a 3-5 loss almost felt like a decent result !

Last edited:
The sole upside of our poor form and probable failure to qualify for the CL is that going back into the Europa, whilst not desirable (nor assured at this stage), is that we can get back to blooding some youngsters with the first team. If you see how those melts down the road are using it, I fully expect they’ll reap the benefits in the next season or two with a couple of HG players being established in the first team

The sole upside of our poor form and probable failure to qualify for the CL is that going back into the Europa, whilst not desirable (nor assured at this stage), is that we can get back to blooding some youngsters with the first team. If you see how those melts down the road are using it, I fully expect they’ll reap the benefits in the next season or two with a couple of HG players being established in the first team

If we are in the Europa League I'd hope we do blood some youngsters but in 2014/15 and 2015/16 when Poch led Spurs in EL aside from playing mainly established players :
- He used it to 'polish' players with some first team experience (best example obviously Kane). And that was certainly worth while
- He played only a few players without previous first team experience - examples being Harry Winks and Joshua Onomah. But most of the others only had one appearance….ever....for Spurs.

So the area we are most weak in now - developing players from 18 to 21 either with first team experience or out on loan - was little different when Spurs were last in EL to now. We didn't play them much in the EL games or loan them out.

ATM we have 3 players ready to be integrated into first team in Parrott, Skipp and Tanganga. We also have a number of younger players who might follow.....if the opportunity is there.

We have lost a few players in recent years as there is no perceived pathway to first team so they are following the Jadon Sancho route to European clubs - an example being our previous u16 captain Noni Mandueke (just called up for E u17) who went to PSV and who now has started to have first team involvement there.

So the approach to developing players from age 18 to age 21 will still need to change. A bit depressing that what was obvious 5 or 6 years ago remains the same today !

Equally depressing that Chelsea, after loaning out lots of their young players over the years have, as a result of a penalty for illegally signing young players, have had to play some of them (typically one or maximum two from each of the intakes who are now between ages of 18 to 23), and they are looking good.

As we have not loaned out our best players, we don't have players with significant valuable loan experience to try out in our first team, so Spurs are a step behind.

Spurs U23 team away at Gillingham on Tuesday @ 7pm - ticket info on link.

Imo one of the u23s best games for development of the season - they are playing a men's team.

Hope to see a strong Spurs X1 but obviously it will be weakened by players away on international duty so no Skipp, Parrott, Maghoma, Bowden, Tanganga, Cirkin, Walcott, Austin and a few others.

Hopefully we can field a genuine striker with Etete or Richards back from injury - Whittaker played on Saturday u18 match in which u16 striker Scarlett was injured

Gillingham can no longer progress into the knock out rounds so may not play too many of their first X1 to even things up for our missing youth internationals.

No real surprises in the team.

Delighted to see striker Rodel Richards pronounced fit after s few weeks out injured, paired with winger J"Lloyd Bennett they will be our main goal threat imo

I imagine the line up has 3 CMs with Harvey White, Tashan Oakley- Boothe and Armando Shashoua to deal with the physicality of a man's opposition.

In defence a rare outing for Alfie Whiteman, our 3rd GK with CBs Eyoma and Binks in front with LB Lyons- Foster and RB Okedina.

I'm a tad surprised that Hinds is on bench rather than RB, and surprised not to see Cirkin at LB after s few run outs in u 18s. The main attacking threat on the bench is probably Rayan Clarke who had been injured. had hoped to see striker Mon Etete but presumably injured.

I caught the second half last night and it was not great. Lots of neat sideways passing in midfield but a real lack of creativity/threat in the final third. Parrott was a big miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom