Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think TAA, two years younger than KWP, playing at the World Cup last year was a far bigger achievement. I'm not saying KWP has a bad attitude or anything, perhaps not just that X-Factor character trait that separates out some people in all walks of life, not just football.

You can only make judgements based upon the matches a player plays in, not those he didn't.

KWP was ahead of TAA through England youth but KWP has stood still for 3 years as he's not been loaned out (and Poch is not keen on loaning players out) and hasn't been played by Poch - but still played in and won a youth WC, which takes both skill and a winning mentality.

Meanwhile TAA had the rub of the green with Clyne being injured etc and Klopp having no alternative to play TAA - and to be fair he's played well generally. Having played most of the season for a Top 6 club, he was an obvious candidate for Southgate.

If Spurs had not bought Aurier 2 seasons ago and Trippier had a few injuries maybe KWP would have played more and gone to WC (being 2 years older) leaving TAA saying 'wonderful club season, delighted to be playing E u21's and hope to join main squad in a year or two.

Rub of the green as I say, for many young players

TAA overtook KWP due to opportunity IMO.

I think that's a case of serious lily-white tinted spectacles. TAA trumps KWP in every way IMO, pace, athletic ability, ball striking ability, mentality. KWP's had opportunities. He's looked ok in easy home games but a liability in difficult away games. We need better and can buy better. We'd all like another Harry Kane, a local lad coming through to be a superstar, but they're probably once in 20 years in truth.

I think the club should learn a lesson from KWP. His career path hasn't done anyone any good. Hanging around as a third choice right back has been pointless. Look at Reece James for example, 19, a year in the Championship under his belt and well on the way to a career in football and he'll either go back to Chelsea and play or Brighton are supposedly interested, with Chelsea making a tidy profit.

If they're good enough at around 19, put them in the team, if not, loan them out and let them develop and find their level.

I think that's a case of serious lily-white tinted spectacles. TAA trumps KWP in every way IMO, pace, athletic ability, ball striking ability, mentality. KWP's had opportunities. He's looked ok in easy home games but a liability in difficult away games. We need better and can buy better. We'd all like another Harry Kane, a local lad coming through to be a superstar, but they're probably once in 20 years in truth.

I think the club should learn a lesson from KWP. His career path hasn't done anyone any good. Hanging around as a third choice right back has been pointless. Look at Reece James for example, 19, a year in the Championship under his belt and well on the way to a career in football and he'll either go back to Chelsea and play or Brighton are supposedly interested, with Chelsea making a tidy profit.

If they're good enough at around 19, put them in the team, if not, loan them out and let them develop and find their level.

'If they're good enough at around 19, put them in the team, if not, loan them out and let them develop and find their level.'

If you follow this thread that's pretty similar to what many here have said on this thread.

But Poch has been adamant that he doesn't like loaning players out and wants them to be trained at Spurs and expects most to only get first team minutes at age 22.

Poch is slowly going away from that position, but hasn't entirely.

So KWP being at Spurs and not being on loan and not playing is the result of Poch saying 'Stay at Spurs, I like you, but you need to wait at Spurs until the right time by which you might be aged 22'

So KWP 's choice is 'leave Spurs or wait and see when Poch says its your time to play'

Completely agree, and I believe that's what Windy is advocating too.

Look at Kyle Walker - I doubt he'd have got a chance, had he not proven at Villa, that he was able to do a job in the Premier League.

'If they're good enough at around 19, put them in the team, if not, loan them out and let them develop and find their level.'

If you follow this thread that's pretty similar to what many here have said on this thread.

But Poch has been adamant that he doesn't like loaning players out and wants them to be trained at Spurs and expects most to only get first team minutes at age 22.

Poch is slowly going away from that position, but hasn't entirely.

So KWP being at Spurs and not being on loan and not playing is the result of Poch saying 'Stay at Spurs, I like you, but you need to wait at Spurs until the right time by which you might be aged 22'

So KWP 's choice is 'leave Spurs or wait and see when Poch says its your time to play'

Poch benefits by a having a 3rd choice right back, but I think in his position KWP has to see the writing on the wall with Aurier's signing and push for a loan.

Poch benefits by a having a 3rd choice right back, but I think in his position KWP has to see the writing on the wall with Aurier's signing and push for a loan.

As I said, Poch is anti loan - in the past its almost been 'you want to go on loan to play - not possible unless you leave Spurs' But as I say that's been softened a bit. Personally I think the whole subject of development rom 18-21 requires a rethink as its not working well. But not my decision

Poch gave KWP a new contract within the last year, so I'm sure that there were discussions between them on expectations from both - and in KWP's case I'm sure he would be asking about playing tme.

But KWP is simply playing by Poch rules in not going out on loan, and only training. Poch is his boss

As I said, Poch is anti loan - in the past its almost been 'you want to go on loan to play - not possible unless you leave Spurs' But as I say that's been softened a bit. Personally I think the whole subject of development rom 18-21 requires a rethink as its not working well. But not my decision

Poch gave KWP a new contract within the last year, so I'm sure that there were discussions between them on expectations from both - and in KWP's case I'm sure he would be asking about playing tme.

But KWP is simply playing by Poch rules in not going out on loan, and only training. Poch is his boss

Poch's responsibility is to the club, not KWP. He and his family have got to take responsibility for his career. Poch is not totally anti loan, we have a fair out on them. If KWP had insisted on loan, I'm sure he would have got one. It just seems to me looking in from the outside that he's taken the easy option to just hang around at Spurs rather than going to the Championship to test himself.

Poch's responsibility is to the club, not KWP. He and his family have got to take responsibility for his career. Poch is not totally anti loan, we have a fair out on them. If KWP had insisted on loan, I'm sure he would have got one. It just seems to me looking in from the outside that he's taken the easy option to just hang around at Spurs rather than going to the Championship to test himself.

Poch actually came out and said 'no loans' when he first arrived.

Its only this year we have had any number out on loan.

So really not KWP choice - if he demands to play its 'goodbye - time to find a permanent club' If he wats to stay 'knuckle down and train'

Fact that Poch has given KWP another contract means Poch has confirmed he wants KWP.

But what if your manager, the manager of the top4 club you've been with and dreamt of playing for over a decade, is saying I want you here?

If he turns round and says no, I want to go on a loan, he risks losing everything he's dreamt of and worked for for a decade or more.

It's not easy like you are suggesting. Especially when like KWP you are still on the edge of the first team, starting to get games and usually on the bench. You can sniff it, almost touch your break through.

Why blame KWP for that, what not blame the manager that decides to bring in Aurier when he already has a first choice RB and KWP.

The situation has changed in the last couple of weeks, with Poch's rather tragic and hard to understand decision to trust Foyth at Rb ahead of KWP. Now KWP must start to think hard and if he doesn't get assurances that he has a career here he needs to go.

But what if your manager, the manager of the top4 club you've been with and dreamt of playing for over a decade, is saying I want you here?

If he turns round and says no, I want to go on a loan, he risks losing everything he's dreamt of and worked for for a decade or more.

It's not easy like you are suggesting. Especially when like KWP you are still on the edge of the first team, starting to get games and usually on the bench. You can sniff it, almost touch your break through.

Why blame KWP for that, what not blame the manager that decides to bring in Aurier when he already has a first choice RB and KWP.

The situation has changed in the last couple of weeks, with Poch's rather tragic and hard to understand decision to trust Foyth at Rb ahead of KWP. Now KWP must start to think hard and if he doesn't get assurances that he has a career here he needs to go.

I guess once you leave a CL level club, especially your boyhood one, it's not an easy journey to get back there and he wanted to give it every chance of making it and Poch wanted to give him every chance, but he's just come up a little short. Foyth has got ahead by outperforming him in training I imagine, the bit we never see. Seems likely he'll move in the Summer but he'll take some amazing memories with him.

I was just doing some looking back at tweets from last year to work out roughly when we'll get the retained players list. It's looking at being first week of June based on previous years.

But also, I saw this:

Quite interesting to think back to then. I was disappointed that we let Tsaroulla go and surprised that we kept on these lads. Now we know Brown joined Huddersfield (minimal fee or free, not sure) but ultimately we've just wasted another year of wages on them. Lots of bad decisions being made with the Dev Squad players IMO. I really think we need someone properly overseeing the Dev Squad.

If anyone has contract info for those where I've put unknown, it'd be great to have it.
Anthony Georgiou’s contract expires in 2020:

Alfie Whiteman’s contract also expires in 2020:

I think it’s safe to assume that De Bie’s, Freeman’s, Dinzeyi’s, Reynolds’ and Hinds’ contracts expire at the end of this season.

Coincidentally Reynolds is also a LB with a long term injury. I have been very impressed with him and hope he gets his chance at Spurs. IMO we will keep Amos (injury free) and CCV in the squad.
Gonna be tough for Shashoua, Onomah and Edwards to get game time so loans for those three. Roles excepted, can't say I am that fussed about any other outfield player.

Coincidentally Reynolds is also a LB with a long term injury. I have been very impressed with him and hope he gets his chance at Spurs. IMO we will keep Amos (injury free) and CCV in the squad.
Gonna be tough for Shashoua, Onomah and Edwards to get game time so loans for those three. Roles excepted, can't say I am that fussed about any other outfield player.

Not sure about CCV - decent CB with circa 60 games in Championship at Age 21 is not bad experience for his age, and a few years ago we might have thought of signing him had he not already been with us. However can't see him making it with us, and we have a lot of good young CB's coming through - Eyoma, Tanganga, Lyons-Foster, Binks, Walcott and more at u16 level (next year Academy Year 1) - so many in fact I suspect Tanganga may leave this summer as its difficult to catch Poch's eye enough to get into the pre-season squad.

So I think CCV will move on

Agree with you Shahoua, Onomah and Edwards getting another loan providing they sin contract extensions - and I'd certainly like to keep Roles although sadly think he will leave, perhaps to Portsmouth as Kenny Jacket spent a few months coaching Spurs kids before taking the Portsmouth job so will know of Roles.

Not sure about CCV - decent CB with circa 60 games in Championship at age 21 is not bad experience for his age ..but .. I think CCV will move on.
You could be right but from the little I saw of him at Swansea I think he has a chance here. He's not swift but he seems to be in the right place at the right time a lot and Swansea guys trusted him to pass to and he seemed very confident in possession. Janssen was preferred to Parrott for EPL games when fit so Poch obviously values experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom