Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1iF7dEXQAExcc0.jpg

Neither made the match day squad despite Spurs being desperately short of attacking options with 4 u 18 strikers (Parrott, Richards, Mukendi and Asante out injured) so Markanday started as the false no 9 with Bennett the major attacking option and Maghoma the playing as the other AM. I guess Spurs thought the step up to u19's for Whittaker and John might be too much for the u16's. Not sure whether we can sign any alternatives outside the TW these days, although we will need to do so next summer IMO.

Lost to Porto 2-0 probably due to no real forward options as much as any other reason

Great to see Skipp playing games again.

Agreed.

Glad to see Poch changing a little - previously once a player was training with first team, they couldn't play u23's or u19's so any youngsters training with the first team if they weren't playing first team football didn't play.

Which is one reason KWP has played more minutes for E u21's over the last 3 seasons than for any Spurs teams over that period - and looks out of practice IMO.

Agree with the vast majority of what you say although of the top teams I think Liverpool and ManU give more of their youth a chance than Spurs - although like all clubs that mainly comes when there are injuries to the first team squad.

Part of the difference maybe that Poch would prefer to really run the first team playing squad almost into the ground before picking the youngster - and its that bit which grates with me. I'd cite Skipp coming into the team as an example of that, where we were really struggling with injuries at CM and Poch picks Skipp who had excelled in pre-season.

Its a shame that Poch didn't give any chance to say Roles when with Son in South Korea and Dele injured with several games a week we were really struggling for first team AM's for a week or two.

IMO its just that bit of learning Poch needs to do which says have in mind the top 6 youth products available and before things get to a critical stage with injuries to first team squad introduce the appropriate one as back up.

I know its said that age 22 is the ideal time for them to be a first team regular - but equally its nuts not to give a few a run out in the age of say 19 to 21, both to help develop them as well as keep them from leaving to go to European teams who will play them.

Its frustrating as with relatively minor changes (plus Poch agreeing loans as we cannot possibly play the maybe 6 - 8 top youngsters available in the 19-21 age groups) to Poch's policy we could have a great stream of youngsters coming through which both augments the first team - and gives a revenue stream to those who are not quite good enough. Its often forgotten we raised £100m or so from academy youngsters sold who were mainly developed pre Poch (but including Mason, Carroll etc who also played in Poch early days) and that £100m went to augment the transfer budget for the first team

Problem is, nobody's gonna wait around for Poch for 4 years.

When you have useless players like Njie and Nkoudou coming in, or players like Foyth bought young and immediately into the first team, there is no incentive for our youth squad to invest time here. Poch is basically a hypocrite.

There is no reason why any of the youth cannot be given a chance or must wait until they are 22 or whatever when Poch breaks his own rules. If he wants Edwards or Roles or whoever to be more busy or what other inane quality that puts Marsh etc above them, then he should tell that to their face and not act coy like a girl playing hard to get.

The whole thing is infuriating because Poch has brought this upon himself. As I mentioned, if he didn't claim he was the youth crusader, no one would bat an eye, but he does. He tries to mention it all the time, "we must do things differently" he says, and then plays Trippier for days on end. He refuses to spend in the window and refuses to promote youngsters. He puts on half fit Winks, Alli and Kane only to get them injured again.

I really believe his team needs to expand this year. I don't think Levy has the foresight, but someone needs to tell Poch he ain't good enough and he needs fresh eyes to help him out. It'll be a first, but then, he claims he's open to new things doesn't he? Always willing to learn? Prove it then.

D1i1SsdWwAA3WkE.jpg

FAIreland ⚽Verified account @FAIreland
#IRLU21
1f1ee-1f1ea.png
manager Stephen Kenny has named a 23-man squad ahead of the upcoming qualifier against Luxembourg! @SpursOfficial attacker Troy Parrott included in the squad Ireland U21: Kenny announces Luxembourg squad | Football Association of Ireland

First u21 call up for the 17 year old youngster.

The other good news is that he must be all but fit. We could certainly do with one fit striker to play u18 and u21 football !

Great news for the lad, but does mean he won't be opening the new stadium that same day!! Does anybody know just how badly decimated our U18s are likely to be by international call-ups for that game?

Great news for the lad, but does mean he won't be opening the new stadium that same day!! Does anybody know just how badly decimated our U18s are likely to be by international call-ups for that game?

Seems he may be injured.

Troy Parrott earns Ireland call but "doubt" over opening U21 qualifier availability
Stephen Kenny says Troy Parrott is a doubt for Ireland's opening Under-21 European qualifier.

Kenny has elevated the 17-year-old Tottenham striker into his first Ireland U21 squad.

But the talented forward is struggling with a toe injury.

"We've elevated five of the 17-year-olds and Troy is one of those," Kenny said.

"He's obviously a very talented player and he's come right through the system with the national teams.

"He's done very well with Tottenham but he has an injury at the moment. He's had a procedure on his toes, so there is a doubt for his availability for the games because of that.

Troy Parrott earns Ireland call but "doubt" over opening U21 qualifier availability | Off The Ball

Seems he may be injured.

Troy Parrott earns Ireland call but "doubt" over opening U21 qualifier availability
Stephen Kenny says Troy Parrott is a doubt for Ireland's opening Under-21 European qualifier.

Kenny has elevated the 17-year-old Tottenham striker into his first Ireland U21 squad.

But the talented forward is struggling with a toe injury.

"We've elevated five of the 17-year-olds and Troy is one of those," Kenny said.

"He's obviously a very talented player and he's come right through the system with the national teams.

"He's done very well with Tottenham but he has an injury at the moment. He's had a procedure on his toes, so there is a doubt for his availability for the games because of that.

Troy Parrott earns Ireland call but "doubt" over opening U21 qualifier availability | Off The Ball

Yup he's been injured for a few weeks.

I hope Spurs can get him out of the Ireland game to play for Spurs u18's in NWHL test event as we have zero fit u18 strikers atm (but 4 injured u18 strikers), and playing in NWHL will be a great event.

Some decent names in those teams - all of Spurs defenders subsequently seemed to be making decent careers in football for themselves, although Adam Smith has probably done the best at PL side Bournemouth.

I really thought Kudus was going to be a star :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom