Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he has learned to defend I personally think that we cannot write this loan off as a failure. But we should definitely look to set him up on loan to a club with a bit more bite next season if he isn't in Poch's plans.
Yes, I think if they don't fancy him in pre-season (and I mean give him a proper go with proper first team players around him) then they ought to be looking at an upper Championship club who will essentially Mason Mount him, i.e. make him a trusted focal point.

If he has learned to defend I personally think that we cannot write this loan off as a failure. But we should definitely look to set him up on loan to a club with a bit more bite next season if he isn't in Poch's plans.

Another Dutch club, but one of better standing would be ideal. With de Jong going would it be too much to suggest a loan to Ajax where they are good at bringing youngsters through even though he'd need to be consistently good - and fight fir his place

Yes, I think if they don't fancy him in pre-season (and I mean give him a proper go with proper first team players around him) then they ought to be looking at an upper Championship club who will essentially Mason Mount him, i.e. make him a trusted focal point.
One of the upper half Dutch clubs would also do since he is starting to know the country and the league.

Maybe Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV are a bit of a stretch. But Utrecht, AZ, Zwölle etc could all be good destinations. Or one of the bigger Belgian clubs.

I've just seen Dominic Ball on the BBC news. Talking about how the Scottish footballers dislike artificial pitches. He's at Aberdeen now.

Edwards was very much Edwards again btw. Excelsior really are garbage and so many times you can see that the players he's with aren't making the runs he'd want. That's not to excuse him entirely, because you have to adapt, and tbf I think he's adapting his defensive game - his starting position is a lot deeper than it would have been for our U23s. His defensive work-rate is very good.
Don't build your hopes up. He'll never be good enough for our first team.

Must admit, never really rated Oakley-Boothe.

I imagine Poch always admired him due to his physique? Never been impressed with his technique compared to some of those around him and despite his injuries, it's probably no surprise that he hasn't been round the first team since he was around it 2+ years back.

Is there any regular youth watcher here who seriously rates the lad? Not that it's too late for him, 19 years old now though and Skipp HAS leapfrogged him.

If you go through that team from last night you can see part of the reason why our post-U18 development is such a mess.

Austin - needs a loan.
Hinds - fine, I get this one.
Cirkin - fine, first few appearances for the U23s, but is only there *now* due to poor future-planning and probably isn't quite ready.
Marsh - surprised he's still at the club. Even more surprised he's had first team exposure.
Tanganga - desperately needs a loan.
Eyoma - should be on loan too if we really have faith in bringing him through.
Maghoma - fine.
Oakley-Boothe - fine, I guess. I've never been a fan but I know plenty who are.
Tracey - insane that he's with us still.
Roles - desperately needs a loan; probably going to leave at the end of the season.
Bennett - fine, making first few appearances for the U23s.

So we're looking at a mish-mash of players made up of those who have probably totally lost motivation at this level as they are getting nowhere fast and need football league experience, plus some who should have been moved on a while ago.

Some of those who did get loans only got them because (apparently) they arranged them themselves.

I'd be fully up for us withdrawing from the PL2 at this point. Send the key Dev Squad players out on loan (well researched, well selected loans), and arrange regular friendlies if need be for anyone left over.

Or if we don't withdraw from the PL2 actually use first team squad players in amongst the younger players to give them all a better experience and importantly give the likes of KWP, Skipp, Janssen, Nkoudou, etc) games.

Imagine how much Bennett, Cirkin, Hinds, Maghoma would benefit from playing with actual footballers rather than the likes of Tracey and Marsh (sorry to be cruel by picking them out).

If you go through that team from last night you can see part of the reason why our post-U18 development is such a mess.

Austin - needs a loan.
Cirkin - fine, first few appearances for the U23s, but is only there *now* due to poor future-planning and probably isn't quite ready.
Marsh - surprised he's still at the club. Even more surprised he's had first team exposure.
Maghoma - fine.
Roles - desperately needs a loan; probably going to leave at the end of the season.

So we're looking at a mish-mash of players made up of those who have probably totally lost motivation at this level as they are getting nowhere fast and need football league experience, plus some who should have been moved on a while ago.

Some of those who did get loans only got them because (apparently) they arranged them themselves.

I'd be fully up for us withdrawing from the PL2 at this point. Send the key Dev Squad players out on loan (well researched, well selected loans), and arrange regular friendlies if need be for anyone left over.

Or if we don't withdraw from the PL2 actually use first team squad players in amongst the younger players to give them all a better experience and importantly give the likes of KWP, Skipp, Janssen, Nkoudou, etc) games.

Imagine how much Bennett, Cirkin, Hinds, Maghoma would benefit from playing with actual footballers rather than the likes of Tracey and Marsh (sorry to be cruel by picking them out).

A radical step is certainly needed. The PL2 was formed as the old 'Reserves' were totally uncompetitive. IMO the PL2 is fine for the lads for one season after u18's, but after that it suffers from the same problems as the old reserves and totally fails to develop the youngsters.

The only matches which I think are useful are the Checkatrade Trophy matches versus League 1 and League 2 teams, where youngsters are playing against mens sides who are playing for a salary. So playing friendlies against these (or even creating a formal league where youngsters play League 1 and League 2 sides perhaps midweek) would probably be beneficial.

But Poch involving more youngsters on a regular basis would be the best solution - I've long thought that with 7 subs allowed Poch should have one or more youngsters on the bench in pretty much all games Spurs play - and that allows him to put the youngster on as a sub where Spurs are on top in a game. So whilst Skipp has made maybe 8 appearances, there could be three or more Skipp like players who are being given first team experience and giving Poch the opportunity to see whether they could become squad players (or better)

After all Fergie was able to do that for years at ManU when they were often PL winners, bringing through the likes of John O'Shea and Phil Neville, none of them great players but certainly good enough to be available as squad players - would also mean Spurs stop buying squad players and can focus all money on buying eith elite players or young players Poch believes will become elite players (eg Dele )

Its that time of year again - a time for sorrow that some of the Academy lads must move on as they are not good enough for a pro contract or some on pro contracts are told they have not done enough to earn another contract and a time of gladness as we welcome on another group to next season's first year academy.

Lilywhite Rose‏ @Lilywhite_Rose
#thfc U18’s second year, Centre Back, Maxwell Statham is currently on trial with Norwich City ahead of his release from the club at the expiration of his contract on 30.06.19. Good luck Maxwell.pic.twitter.com/D5t8A8630X

Dzeof6CW0AEumPi.jpg

We have pretty good links with a few Academies such as Norwich Ipswich and QPR, so a few players leaving may well end up in one of these three.

Austin - needs a loan.
Maghoma - fine.

The likes of Roles and Tanganga and Austin will not improve with these other boys around them . Don’t get it with marsh either , but he is stagnating and needs to leave , I can’t believe he has had first team miniutes . Tracy is awful , playing him up top does no good for the attacking players around him . I do not know what Oakley Boothe brings to the table. He has no impact on games . Maghoma is another one who is over hyped in my opinion , he does ok because of his size , but I really don’t think he’s a centre mid , his decision making is not the best and I think he should leave the shooting to others for now , until he develops it a bit more, as he has kicked more footballs into the Stevenage car park then anyone else I have ever seen . Decent loans need to be sorted ASAP

Austin - needs a loan.
Maghoma - fine.

The perennial U23 scenario Windy, no?

The mash mash of up and comers, left-behinders and unfancied by Poch (Roles eg).

Scouted Football @ScoutedFtbl

Just three minutes seperated Marcus Edwards' goal and assist in a 2-1 against FC Emmen.

• Goal in the 72nd minute
• Assist in the 75th minute

SBV Excelsior were losing prior to Edwards' input.

Scouted Football @ScoutedFtbl

26ab.png
1f534.png
Marcus Edwards (20) vs FC Emmen:

56 touches
21/25 passes
6/7 dribbles
6 fouls won
3/5 tackles
3 ball recoveries
3 key passes
1 shot
1 through ball
1 goal
1 assist

Today was just his 17th senior appearance

Maybe a breakthrough in Edwards loan ? Just have to see if he starts getting goals and assists on a regular basis

It'd be such a shame if we lost both Roles and Edwards in the summer.

Both are more than capable of adding something across a season. Both home-grown and from the academy. I REALLY hope both come on our pre-season tour, get minutes and impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom