Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether it's irony or coincidence.

At a time when there is so much money at the very top of the game -
The top clubs have built fantastic Academy infrastructure (expensive of course) -
Resulting in some of the finest young talent in the world -
Who get very little chance to shine for their clubs' first teams -
Because League points have never been worth so much -
At a time when there is so much money at the very top of the game -

Rinse and repeat

Right now the headlines are being made by the German clubs who have jumped in to buy (relatively) unproven talent. I don't know why more clubs over here don't do likewise. Brentford seem to have that as a business model - ie NO academy. Just get a bloody good manager and pick up rough diamonds and see what happens. Theyv'e come very close to promotion to PL recently.

I'm sure someone like Eddie Howe (who still has first teamers who were kids in the old Div 1 teams) could do the same without having to buy any overseas "talent".

It remains to be seen how Brentford do as a fair few of their younger players are still there from when they *did* have an academy. I suspect they'll live to regret shutting it down, personally.

DwtOMl5XgAEpkym.jpg

Finished 4-1 win.

u18's still unbeaten this season !

I hope Spurs youngsters are told this when they sign Academy Scholarship papers. Obviously not taking David Bentley's place though !

Jacques: There’s one quote that stands out and I can remember Les Ferdinand telling me after I’d had a really good training session with the first team, that for me to take David Bentley’s place in the first team, you’ll have to work ten times harder than him. It took a while for me to process that but when I think about it it’s like saying I’m as good as him but why would the manager pick me over him if he can do what I can do and vice versa. He’s going to play because he has got more experience and more games than I have. So the thing that I would say to any young player who is looking to go into the first team, is that you’ve got to do more than the other players are doing at the training ground. You’ve got to do ten times what the first team players are doing, if Dele Alli is running 10 km a game then you have got to try and run 11 km in a game or even 12 km. If Son is scoring four goals a game then you need to try and score four goals or even more. And if Harry Kane is scoring 20 goals a season then try and aim to do the same, you can’t compare yourself with those players but you need to put yourself through that mindset of trying to do more than the other players in your position. And that will stand out in the managers head, always try and do better then the person ahead of you.

DwuBUqZW0AEdEt_.png

Despite our u18's incredible record of 11 wins, 2 draws and zero losses this season, its only our win against Woolwich which separates us at the top of the table with Chelsea in hot pursuit dropping 2 points today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom