Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the seeming shambles of Onomah’s loan at Sheff Wed, could we not have recalled him on 1st Jan?

Could’ve had a run out Friday (not to mention potentially offering some relief with Dier, Dembele & Wanyama all out) and could find him a more appropriate loan if not part of Poch’s plans.

Not sure that disproves my theory. I think playing with better players can enhance a player like Edwards chances of producing, rather than harm it.

Look at Skipp and KWP. KWP has 5 assists in his last two starts at RB. Skipp got 2 assists on Friday. Playing with Son, Alli, Kane etc is far more likely to see someone create and be created for than playing with Sterling, Tracey and Georgiou, no?
Whilst you raise a good point about playing with better players, I think he would struggle playing and against experienced men in a league that of then let's players get away with stronger challenges.

I know KWP is also slight and has 5 assists but he isn't an attacking player, so not as much of a focal point/target for defenders as Edwards would be playing in an attacking position.

Edit: Just want to add, I'm not an Edwards hater, I would be happy to ship out Llorente, Janssen and GKN and replace with Edwards and Maja.

Last edited:
Whilst you raise a good point about playing with better players, I think he would struggle playing and against experienced men in a league that of then let's players get away with stronger challenges.

I know KWP is also slight and has 5 assists but he isn't an attacking player, so not as much of a focal point/target for defenders as Edwards would be playing in an attacking position.

Edit: Just want to add, I'm not an Edwards hater, I would be happy to ship out Llorente, Janssen and GKN and replace with Edwards and Maja.

I actually think the PL offers better refereeing and protection than he'll get lower down the levels. There are other examples such as Lookman last year in Germany, Sancho etc - playing with better footballers can really lift a kid's game.

DwU9xa8XQAELRO4.jpg

Looks like an old fashioned 442 with Janssen and Sterling up front

Sterling puts us 1-0 up.

Bet Janssen wishes he had a similar chance in first half !

Alasdair Gold‏Verified account @AlasdairGold
Spurs score! That was tough on Liverpool goalkeeper Kai McKenzie-Lyle who made an amazing flying reaction save to stop Sterling’s header but the ball came back in and this time the striker headed it straight into the top corner. Lovely finish. 1-0.

FT: Spurs 1, Liverpool 1. Tottenham probably just about edged it with chances and possession, but couldn't get the three points. Vincent Janssen got 45 minutes in his legs after so long out.

Some interesting comments from Pep about youth players, after having lost Sancho last year he's now losing Diaz. The reality is as good as these kids might be Sancho was not going to replace the likes of Sane, Aguero, Sterling or Mahrez equally Diaz was not getting past KdB, Silva, Fernandinho or Gundogan.

Whilst we may not have the strength in depth that City have it's still pretty hard for a Spurs youth player to get an EPL game, especially as a Striker or AM - Dele, Son, Lamela, Moura, Erikson, Kane all in their way.

I'm surprised Man City couldn't arrange loan deals, but I guess when Real Madrid offer you a 21m contract at just 19 years of age, that's hard to turn down. Brahim Diaz couldn't say no that's for sure.

Will be interesting to see if some of our more talented juniors will be pried away by the big European clubs. They know they can't compete with the EPL financially for the biggest names, but they can offer youngsters more opportunity to get on the pitch, and at 17-18-19 that's probably just what you want.

Some interesting comments from Pep about youth players, after having lost Sancho last year he's now losing Diaz. The reality is as good as these kids might be Sancho was not going to replace the likes of Sane, Aguero, Sterling or Mahrez equally Diaz was not getting past KdB, Silva, Fernandinho or Gundogan.

Whilst we may not have the strength in depth that City have it's still pretty hard for a Spurs youth player to get an EPL game, especially as a Striker or AM - Dele, Son, Lamela, Moura, Erikson, Kane all in their way.

I'm surprised Man City couldn't arrange loan deals, but I guess when Real Madrid offer you a 21m contract at just 19 years of age, that's hard to turn down. Brahim Diaz couldn't say no that's for sure.

Will be interesting to see if some of our more talented juniors will be pried away by the big European clubs. They know they can't compete with the EPL financially for the biggest names, but they can offer youngsters more opportunity to get on the pitch, and at 17-18-19 that's probably just what you want.

ManU under Fergie brought through a lot of young players, but aside from their fabled class of '92 many like O'Shea (and even Phil Neville) were at least a level below, but perfectly adequate squad players. Fergie operated with a relatively small squad of maybe 20 real first team players plus a few squad players (mainly) brought through from their academy plus maybe half a dozen youngsters on the fringes hoping to break through. These latter might get a handful of games over a year or two, usually through injuries to the first team or simply to rest a player with 75 minutes gone and so 15 m ins on as a sub.

Our squad now is not dissimilar to Fergies situation, although Poch has not used youth as much (earlier in the thread is a summary of the dozen youngsters Poch has given debuts to with usually very few minutes played in total).

The reason Skipp has been given a chance is due to injuries to Dembeley, Wanyama and periodic absences of Dier and Winks meaning a shortage at CM. Skipp proved himself in pre-season and in the absence of Amos, Poch gave him a chance which Skipp has taken. I hope that Skipp's performances to date will mean Poch gives Skipp more time this season so that Skipp becomes a real first team squad member next season. I'd also hope Poch gets more confidence to involve youngsters where t makes sense for both club and the player.

As an example of where that might be appropriate, when Son is away for probably circa 3 weeks (mid January through to final on 1 February so maybe 5 February before he's back ready t9o play for Spurs) at the Asia games. Without Son we are down to Dele, Eriksen, Moura and Lamela as AM's ....and atm Moura is injured and Lamela just returned from injury. So its easy to see how we might get very stretched playing 2 games a week whilst Son is away - very limited rotation and if one if the 4 AM's is injured, we have a problem. And with our stretched CM options we cannot, for example, rely on using Sissoko as a right sided AM.

My suggestion would be to use 19 year old Jack Roles (a Dele like player) with the most combined assists and goals this season for u21's who has also played well in Checkatrade trophy (u21's v League 1 and League 2 teams) matches so has some experience f playing against mens sides, on the bench maybe coming on for the last 15 minutes to rest an AM. If he's good enough Poch may want to play him for longer (as Poch did with Skipp), but that's another decision.

Point that I'm trying to make, is that the youth are there and where its in the club's interest to involve them as it will be when Son is away (hopefully only to give short rests of say 15 minutes from the bench but preparing a contingency plan in case an AM is injured for a match where if Roles has impressed Poch off the bench).

The other positives for the club in using youngsters is not only is there better fan engagement , but also the value of the youngsters goes up. Its noteworthy that Spurs raised about £100m from sale of youngsters with first team experience which in turn aided the acquisition of senior players. Its pertinent that we have raised very little money in the last 2 or 3 years from that source - and that will have impacted our transfer budget.

If you follow the football press you will note many overseas clubs are rubbing their hands with glee (if not salivating) at the excellent quality of youth trained by PL academies available for little money.....and just a question of time before one of the 'cheap' youngsters (maybe Sancho) is bought back for a PL club for £100m.

So not playing youngsters is proving to be very short sighted.......with very expensive long term consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom