Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
WONDERKIDS
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium: Five Spurs academy starlets to watch out for at the first test event

Which wonderkids could make their name in the first competitive match at the new arena on Sunday?

By Anton Stanley
23rd March 2019, 1:00 pm

The first competitive game at Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium as their Under-18s take on Southampton in the league.

It promises to be an exciting moment for the youngsters who will be playing in front of around 30,000 as the club look to get themselves a step closer to opening the world-class arena against Crystal Palace.

Certain certificates are needed for Spurs to be able to play the Eagles in N17 on April 3 and the Under-18s will provide the perfect first test event, allowing supporters to get a glimpse of their future, in more ways than one, before around 50,000 watch a legends side take on Inter Milan on Saturday, March 30.

Tottenham’s Under-18s are currently four points behind Woolwich in the title race but will be without several key players due to internationals and injury.

Troy Parrott is one notable absentee, while defender Luis Binks is one of players unavailable due to a national call-up.

So who should supporters be looking out for as they get used to their new home? Find out below.

Brooklyn Lyons-Foster
A fine ball-playing centre-back, he links well with the midfielders ahead of him and keen academy observers are impressed by his calmness and his decisiveness.

He’s represented England at youth level while he’s also versatile enough to play at full-back if needed.

Harvey White
The 17-year-old trained with the first-team on his birthday back in September and could get the chance to impress again at the new Stadium.

He had an impressive goal-scoring record with the Under-16s last season, netting eight.

This season he’s scored four goals and grabbed eight assists for the Under-18s and in his 13 appearances. It’s likely he’ll be on set-pieces.

Armando Shashoua
Captain for the day is set to be midfielder Sashoua, whose brother Sam is currently out on loan at Atletico Baleares.

Sashoua told the club’s official website: “It was one of the most exciting things I’ve heard since I’ve been at the club, and I’ve been here a while!

“I’ve been here for 10 years, so I really feel I’m part of the club and to be part of the game that makes history by being the first at such a special stadium is a great feeling.”

He lived in Russia with his family for two years as a child before returning to the UK.

Dilan Markanday
According to Tottenham Hotspur youth expert Chris Miller, speaking on The Fighting Cock’s ‘Extra Inch’ show, Markanday is one of the stars of the group.

He said: “I guess you would compare him to Marcus Edwards, partly due to his size but also stylistically there is a similarity there.

“He’s got lovely close control, he loves to run with the ball but, slightly different to Edwards, Markanday will tend to pop up in the centre of the penalty box and get shots away.”

Will he get the first goal at the new White Hart Lane?

Maurizio Pochettino
Nepotism or natural talent? Supporters have often wondered whether the youngster – son of first-team boss Mauricio – has the ability to be in the Under-18 squad, so a good display on the right wing, or off the bench, could do him the world of good.

He joined the club as a scholar in 2017 and has two goals and an assist from 10 appearances this campaign across all competitions.

Tottenham academy starlets to watch out for at the first test event

D2bbR5pXcAAwj2m.jpg

Decent performance overall - not vintage, didn't always play our regular flowing football, but very promising nonetheless.

For me Skipp was the stand-out, but there wasn't really a bad performer. White is really looking the part, suspect he'll get a first team cameo within the next two years.

Decent performance overall - not vintage, didn't always play our regular flowing football, but very promising nonetheless.

For me Skipp was the stand-out, but there wasn't really a bad performer. White is really looking the part, suspect he'll get a first team cameo within the next two years.

I think it was a really great gesture by Levy to have the U18's play the first game in the stadium. Something they can all relish being involved in, and whatever happens to their careers look back and be proud of.

Importantly as well, probably the biggest crowd many of them have played in front of, and a proper "home" crowd (our first team used to play cup games in front of similar crowds at the old place) and they all seemed to handle it (though Ive not seen the whole game).

Is Markanday right footed? If so, seems very comfortable using his left, which is always something that makes a youth player have more potential I feel, as developing a weaker foot is difficult to do as an adult and needs to be mastered as youth level really.

He hasn't got the outright skill of Edwards but seems to have better decision making and final product.

Is Markanday right footed? If so, seems very comfortable using his left, which is always something that makes a youth player have more potential I feel, as developing a weaker foot is difficult to do as an adult and needs to be mastered as youth level really.

He hasn't got the outright skill of Edwards but seems to have better decision making and final product.

Edit: I actually think he might be ambipedal but favouring his left. Quality little player (as many of them are).

Quite liked the look of Dennis Cirkin at left back yesterday. Good decision making and a hard-working player.

I really, really like Cirkin. First few times I saw him he was unimpressive in a youth tournament but I've realised now that that was a blip as he's caught my eye every time since. Just a good all-round footballer. He'll have been one of the youngest on the pitch yesterday FWIW.

Last edited:
He's right-footed but as you say very good with his left too. Quality little player (as many of them are).

I really, really like Cirkin. First few times I saw him he was unimpressive in a youth tournament but I've realised now that that was a blip as he's caught my eye every time since. Just a good all-round footballer. He'll have been one of the youngest on the pitch yesterday FWIW.

Just saw that he was 16. Kid definitely has a future with us.

I really, really like McDermott.....

Also, love how Mase is looking after the boys, it's only a small thing but great attention to detail, being the ex-pro walking them through every minute of their day (I guess, as I saw Skipp's pre-match interview talking about the preparation) right up to waiving to the fans.

Also, love how Mase is looking after the boys, it's only a small thing but great attention to detail, being the ex-pro walking them through every minute of their day (I guess, as I saw Skipp's pre-match interview talking about the preparation) right up to waiving to the fans.

thought you meant the contractors then I realized it was Ryan you were talking about.

I love that the club have given Ryan a gig at the club. He really can become such a useful and important figure for the young kids that need inspiration when times get tough. The club have done very well showing him the value and respect he should be given for entrusting us with his development at a young age, the good eggs in the youth set up and their families should notice such things when choosing us over a brown paper bag filled with money. Excellent for the clubs culture at grassroots & the very least Mason deserves.

Thanks to hiatus hiatus who posted this in the stadium thread:

Loved the move around 6m30s that starts with Skipp winning the ball, then twisting and playing a clever little pass inside to Markanday that opens up the pitch, he then feeds White who again shimmies past a man and plays a lovely through ball. Bennett misses the chance but it was lovely football.

Really don't understand why Skipp hasn't been more involved lately, after performing well when called up every time, and was really disappointed he wasn't at least on the bench for the last game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom