Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy P travelling with First team to Leicester. Not expected to make bench

Yup, Belvedere (Irish academy who we signed him from) has confirmed this in a tweet.

Big sign by the club that they think highly of him, not too many other 16 year olds will get this privilege.

Think it could be an early sign that he will be considered for next summer's pre-season tour (wherever we go).

Marsh expected to be on the bench tomorrow. It's absolutely insane to me that with all of the young talent at our disposal, Marsh is the one who is likely to be selected.

Marsh is tenacious and versatile but ultimately quite poor technically compared to our elite players - he'll probably have a career in League Two though, I suspect.

Will Skipp be on the bench?

Considering our injury problems - highly likely.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Sissoko - Dier - Dele
Eriksen - Kane - Son
Leaves us a bench of:

Gazzaniga, Rose,Winks, Lamela, Skipp, Lucas, Llorente.

As we literally have no one else.

Marsh is tenacious and versatile but ultimately quite poor technically compared to our elite players - he'll probably have a career in League Two though, I suspect.

Given our injuries atm, I think Poch's thinking is that he wants a 19th man to cover the DM and defensive positions in case one of the squad playing in those positions has to pull out at the last minute - we will probably see Moura and Lamela on the bench to cover AM positions and Llorente as striker cover, so the attacking options are covered.

Whilst I'm not a big Marsh fan, his versatility means he covers DM, CB and RB, is tenacious and played in pre-season reasonably well so Poch knows him, so IMO an understandable choice.

My preference would probably have been Japhet Tanganga as he could cover CB and LB, plus is physically robust and mobile and has played a bit in pre-season (absent as you know for most on E u19 duty) but I've never seen him tried as a DM, so less versatile.

The u19's are playing in Barcelona today, so would have been good IMO if a number of them had also trained with the first team squad, but that doesn't seem to have happened which is a shame - and could have given the likes of Jamie Bowden (who also made an appearance pre-season) just a little more experience (and he's one of the more technically skilled players that IMO is more likely to succeed long term at Spurs than Marsh)

He's a safe player I'll give you that, at this age group I would like to see them play with the outside of their boot, drop a shoulder, try and take someone on etc. Marsh doesn't, but I like Marsh because he's a heads-up player, doesn't dwell on the ball, reads a game very well and he does impose himself on a game too. Skipp is the better baller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom